PLEASE READ: Action needed to change Orange County policy requiring FIV vaccination

Old June 29th 05, 06:55 PM
MaryL

Default PLEASE READ: Action needed to change Orange County policy requiring FIV vaccination

I was greatly concerned when I learned (in the "Ping Philip..." thread) that
Orange County Animal Care Services routinely vaccinates all cats for FIV. As
others pointed out in their responses, this means that cats from that
shelter will test positive for the virus - as a direct result of the
vaccination, not because they actually have FIV. To compound the problem, it
appears that the shelter does not test for FIV prior to vaccination. That
flies in the face of recommendations that were standard even many years ago
(at a time when I still had my own cats vaccinated and before the protocol
changed). I seriously doubt if they test each cat and kitten and then follow
up with vaccinations. Instead of protecting the cats under their care, the
shelter is actually placing cats at serious risk by carrying out this
policy. Any cat that comes from that shelter and later gets lost and is then
found by rescue groups or sent to another shelter is likely to test positive
for FIV. Likewise, conscientious adopters who have their cats tested will
receive a positive test. It is likely that this will actually lead to a
death sentence for many cats because of erroneous test results. The irony is
that the vaccine is not completely effective and that the leukemia vaccine
itself has serious risks, including feline sarcoma. Rabies and distemper are
the only vaccines that should be routinely required. That is the policy that
was followed by the shelter where I adopted Duffy.

I would like to encourage those who read this message to contact some of the
news outlets in the vicinity of the shelter to express your dismay and
request that action be taken to change the policy of this shelter. Here are
the telephone number for news outlets in that area:

KCBS - 323-460-5316

KNBC - 818-244-6397

KABC - 818-863-7500

KTTV - 310-584-2000

KNX - 323-460-3000

KTLA - 323-460-5500

I am also including several sources to verify this information -

From Dr. James Richards, director of the Cornell Feline Health Center, and a
board member of the AAFP and co-chair of several of its feline guidelines
panels:

"The big question we've been receiving has been on testing"-an area he said
neither the vaccine label nor the initial advertising material addresses.
"Veterinarians just did not realize that cats that were vaccinated would
test positive for antibody. Many of those who did understand that cats would
test positive on the in-house kits failed to realize that they would also
test positive on western blot."

From Dr. Jean Hofve, DVM (littlebigcat.com):

Killed vaccines contain virus particles that have been completely
inactivated and cannot reproduce. In order to produce sufficient antibodies,
a variety of agents are added to the vaccine to "stimulate"

the immune system. These agents are called "adjuvants." Certain adjuvants
have been implicated as causing vaccine-associated fibrosarcoma, a
particularly malignant and hard-to-treat type of cancer.

Killed vaccines include the rabies and feline leukemia vaccines. Both of
these vaccines are known to cause fibrosarcomas. The new FIV vaccine is a
killed vaccine, means that it, too, is likely to cause tumor formation.

***The most dangerous problem with the FIV vaccine is that a vaccinated cat
will test positive for FIV on all currently available tests, even the most
sensitive ones. ***

Also, because the vaccine protects less than 70% of vaccinated cats (critics
argue that the real number may be less than 50%), if a vaccinated cat
becomes ill, there is no way of knowing whether or not he actually has
active FIV. The vaccine manufacturer (Fort Dodge) admits that this is a
problem, but says that, hopefully, in the future, a test may be developed
that can distinguish between a vaccinated cat and an infected one. For now,
if an FIV-vaccinated cat is unfortunate enough to become lost and end up in
a shelter that tests for FIV, he will most likely be euthanized. Feline
experts are not recommending this vaccine for the vast majority of cats.

From Mar Vista Animal Medical Center (marvistavet.com):

In August 2002, Fort Dodge Animal Health released a vaccine for FIV and
promoted it heavily. Our hospital has looked long and hard at this vaccine
which, on the surface, seems like a good idea for outdoor cats or cats
living with FIV positive housemate cats. We have chosen to say no to this
vaccine at least until more information is available and are happy to list
the features of the product that leave us with reservations.

There are five strains of FIV virus, called "Clades." The vaccine was made
using Clades A and D and tested using Clade A. Clade B, for example, is a
very common strain in most regions of the U.S. and no testing of the vaccine
has been performed thus far against Clade B.

This means that a pet owner might wrongly believe they were protecting their
cat fully against the FIV virus with this vaccine. California has both
Clades A and B.

The FIV vaccine is an "adjuvanted" vaccine. An adjuvant is an additive used
with killed vaccines to improve their ability to stimulate the immune
system. Unfortunately, adjuvanted vaccines have been implicated in the
development of certain tumors in the cat. Our hospital currently uses no
adjuvanted vaccines for cats and has no desire to administer a vaccine that
stimulates tumor growth even under rare circumstances.

***Vaccinated cats will test positive on all current methods of testing for
the FIV virus. This means it will no longer be possible to distinguish
vaccinated cats from truly infected cats.****

The vaccine is advertised at protecting 82% of cats which means 18% can
still be infected. This is nearly a one in five chance of unknowingly having
an infected cat.

From Veterinary Partner (veterinarypartner.com):

The American Association of Feline Practitioners has made some
recommendations concerning the use of the vaccine for several reasons.
Current tests now used in veterinary clinics and some animal shelters for
FIV in cats are antibody tests. Since this new vaccine causes antibody
production, the tests currently used will be positive after the vaccine.

Because of this, it will be difficult to determine if a positive test is due
to vaccine or actual disease. Consequently, all cats should be tested and
found to be negative before given the vaccine.

***It will be impossible for a veterinarian to determine if a sick
vaccinated cat is actually infected with FIV or not. This makes a major
difference in prognosis of the case. Also, some animal shelters euthanize
stray cats with positive FIV test results. It is possible these shelters
could euthanize healthy but vaccinated cats.***

From about.com:

Shortly after the announcement of FDA approval for the FIV vaccine, as more
information came forth, emails began circulating among cat rescue groups
because of one fatal flaw: All current methods of testing for the FIV virus
will show a "positive" for cats vaccinated with the FIV vaccine. What this
means to you or me is frightening in its ramifications.

***If we vaccinate our cats against FIV and one of them is lost, or simply
gets picked up by an animal control officer, it will likely be destroyed as
an FIV-positive cat.***

***There is simply no way of knowing which "positive" cat is truly infected
and which cat has simply been vaccinated against FIV. ***

It is no wonder that the reception of this vaccine has been less than
enthusiastic among the greater community of cat lovers, particularly in the
U.S., where FIV strikes only 2% of the cats "at risk."

Does Not Provide Full Protection Although there are five strains (called
Clades) of FIV, the vaccine was developed by only using two strains. Clade
B, which is common in the U.S., particularly in the east, was not one of
those two, nor was the vaccine's efficacy tested against Clade B.

The Vaccine is Adjuvanted Since Adjuvants are suspect in VAS
(vaccine-associated sarcomas), yet another vaccine with an added adjuvant is
unlikely to be met with much approval among feline practitioners.

Old June 30th 05, 12:53 AM
cmtowle

I was greatly concerned when I learned (in the "Ping Philip..." thread)

that
Orange County Animal Care Services routinely vaccinates all cats for FIV.

rest clipped.......

Hello Mary,

I shared your concern. After getting more medical info on Conan (thank you
Philip), things got so confusing that I spoke to the clinic at the shelter.
Clearly one hand there doesn't know what the other is doing. The clerks and
workers get testing and vaccinating mixed up as well as which vaccines they
routinely give with which they test for. This means that adopters are told
varying things at the time of adoption depending who they speak to. When I
called today, the first thing I was told was that they test only for FeLV,
not FIV which made no sense. There was so much conflicting information that
I requested to speak to the clinic vet/s and/or technician/s. The bottom
line is that, and I got this absolutely confirmed by the clinic, they
routinely*test* for the combo FeLV/FIV whenever cats come in whether new or
returned. They *vaccinate* for FVRCP and rabies, *not* for FIV. This is good
news for all of the cats at and from the shelter. The head technician will
ensure that the staff is "re-educated". She was very surprised about the
conflicting info given several times to various people and grateful for the
info.

I hope this clarifies things.

M.

Old June 30th 05, 12:58 AM
-L.

cmtowle wrote:
snip

The bottom
line is that, and I got this absolutely confirmed by the clinic, they
routinely*test* for the combo FeLV/FIV whenever cats come in whether new or
returned. They *vaccinate* for FVRCP and rabies, *not* for FIV. This is good
news for all of the cats at and from the shelter. The head technician will
ensure that the staff is "re-educated". She was very surprised about the
conflicting info given several times to various people and grateful for the
info.

I hope this clarifies things.

M.

What a huge relief!

-L.

Old June 30th 05, 03:11 AM
biggerbadderbarry

MaryL wrote:
Facts, Outlined

Wow, I tried calling down there, I feel like a drop in a bucket for
shure.

I wonder if a petition would be better. I mean, we don't want to
harrass anyone, just educate them right?.

Maybe one of you educated folks would put together a comprehensive
petition.

Ill sign it!

Old June 30th 05, 04:53 AM
MaryL

"cmtowle" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks very much for taking the time to get this additional information. We
can only hope that the information you obtained is correct. It sounds much
more reasonable but is the opposite of a response that was given by shelter
staff in a telephone conversation yesterday - a staff member who clearly
stated that "all" cats are vaccinated for FIV. As you said, it seems that
one hand there doesn't know what the other is doing. However, what you
learned is much more positive and sounds more accurate since it came from
the head tech. I am very pleased that the head tech said that staff will be
"re-educated." That is good news because it is important that all adopters
be given accurate reports. Philip mentioned in his message about Omar that
staff had told him that vaccination for FIV is required. That is second-hand
information, of course, but is in line with how shelter staff responded
yesterday. Thankfully, you reached someone who should be able to make a
difference in training and reporting procedures.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this!

MaryL

Old June 30th 05, 05:26 AM
cmtowle

Thanks very much for taking the time to get this additional information.

We
can only hope that the information you obtained is correct. It sounds much
more reasonable but is the opposite of a response that was given by

shelter
staff in a telephone conversation yesterday - a staff member who clearly
stated that "all" cats are vaccinated for FIV. As you said, it seems that
one hand there doesn't know what the other is doing. However, what you
learned is much more positive and sounds more accurate since it came from
the head tech.

I am confident that I finally received accurate info from the clinic staff.
In addition, this was confirmed by a local clinic vet who personally checked
whether the shelter vaccinates for FIV. She phoned and asked about their
testing and vaccination policy. It really seems to be a matter of major
confusion there for the clerks and front-line workers as to what relates to
vaccines and what to testing.

I am very pleased that the head tech said that staff will be
"re-educated." That is good news because it is important that all adopters
be given accurate reports

Absolutely. I am also confident that re-education will take place. It's easy
enough to check again and it is in their interest to get it right.

Philip mentioned in his message about Omar that
staff had told him that vaccination for FIV is required. That is

second-hand
information, of course, but is in line with how shelter staff responded
yesterday. Thankfully, you reached someone who should be able to make a
difference in training and reporting procedures.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this!

You are very welcome.

M.

MaryL

Old June 30th 05, 08:04 PM
Philip

MaryL wrote:
I was greatly concerned when I learned (in the "Ping Philip..."
thread) that Orange County Animal Care Services routinely vaccinates
all cats for FIV.

WELL... before you charge the percieved enemy with gun half cocked, do
verify for yourself that such is the case. It will good practice.

[...]

I suggest everyone make a verfication call to the OC Shelter before making
any calls to the media. Be sure for yourself that what you believe to be
true is actually the case.

Old June 30th 05, 08:05 PM
Philip

-L. wrote:
cmtowle wrote:
snip

The bottom
line is that, and I got this absolutely confirmed by the clinic, they
routinely*test* for the combo FeLV/FIV whenever cats come in whether
new or returned. They *vaccinate* for FVRCP and rabies, *not* for
FIV. This is good news for all of the cats at and from the shelter.
The head technician will ensure that the staff is "re-educated". She
was very surprised about the conflicting info given several times to
various people and grateful for the info.

I hope this clarifies things.

M.

What a huge relief!

-L.

But as you can see, MaryL was all set to charge the enemy and spearhead
another cause. Good Grief.

Old June 30th 05, 08:12 PM
MaryL

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
-L. wrote:
cmtowle wrote:
snip

The bottom
line is that, and I got this absolutely confirmed by the clinic, they
routinely*test* for the combo FeLV/FIV whenever cats come in whether
new or returned. They *vaccinate* for FVRCP and rabies, *not* for
FIV. This is good news for all of the cats at and from the shelter.
The head technician will ensure that the staff is "re-educated". She
was very surprised about the conflicting info given several times to
various people and grateful for the info.

I hope this clarifies things.

M.

What a huge relief!

-L.

But as you can see, MaryL was all set to charge the enemy and spearhead
another cause. Good Grief.

Unfortunately, various people at that shelter provide conflicting
information. I am very pleased that M reached the right person when she
talked to the head tech, but the right hand apparently doesn't know what the
left hand doing among their staff.

MaryL

Old June 30th 05, 08:42 PM
Mary

"Philip" wrote in message
ink.net...
-L. wrote:
cmtowle wrote:
[...]

That shelter is a mess. Somebody needs to look into it. Conan's out but
they handle a lot of animals, and I have not been impressed with any
of them.