Iowna checks things out

Old September 25th 16, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Default Iowna checks things out

Ginger Canyon - a small, out-of-the-way little canyon in
southern Catifurnia, right in the middle of the area burned by the
Blue Cut fire. Ginger Canyon was just about da only area dat
survived wif no damage, and is now serving as a refuge fur animals
dat were displaced by da fire.

----------

Iowna steps out of the cataporter that has been adapted to voice (and
doggie voice!) and sniffs about. To her right she sniffs cats and
doggies and to her left some really bigger things. She trotts off to
the right, feeling the trail with her toes quite well. Dropping down a
bit, (unaware of a 3,000ft fall to the side but a sort of rocky wall
made it safe) she finds herself in a camp.

A big cat comes up with a gruff voice and tries to intimidate her
(space is limited after all). Iowna catches only the gruff voice,
unaware the cat is twice her size.

'I am sorry, but is this where we were asked to have the Jellicle Ball?
If so, I am here to make initial checks to see what food and gear we
need to bring.'

The big cat looks at the little doggie then sniffs and gets an
accidental noseboop. Iowna's tail starts wagging hard since she thinks
she's been greeted, she happily runs off to the cats and dogs in
waiting, trailed by a hungry bobcat.

Iowna gets almost all the way there but then her toes tell her she is
at a drop off. She can sniff the other cats and doggies just a bit
away. She is at a stream that is not more than 3 feet across (but quite
deep) but she doesnt know it. She pauses then tracks back to her friend
'big cat' and brings them there then wags her tail and whines softly.

As the cats on the other side watch in worry and glee, the big bobcat
helps Iowna on their back, then jumps over the 3ft steep cleft.

Old September 25th 16, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

cshenk wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[...]

Arriving on the other side, the Bobcat drops to the ground and lets
Iowna off. Now surrounded by doggies and kittahs, the bobcat stays
put. Iowna starts off then notes her buddie isnt with her. She pouts
then pulls out her cell phone and calls for backup.

A few minutes later, Dasiy-chan and Cash show up along with a
Chichiuawa named Pete who lives across the street from them and his two
siamese sisifurs (Me and Li). Pete boops the Bobcat in the nose and
says 'come on! Da parti is further in! Oh anna next time, you help me
jump dat canyon ok?

Iowna meets the leader. Finding the issue is low food, she dumps per
backpack and explains, they will bring all the food they need, plus
LOTS extra for the folks here. Meantime, Cash looks about and is glad
he snagged some extra food. He dumps his backpack with it's emergency
stack of 5 cans of Fancy Feast and 5 of larger dog food types.

Old September 28th 16, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Samuel Redcat Mahoney

Iowna meets the leader. Finding the issue is low food, she dumps per
backpack and explains, they will bring all the food they need, plus
LOTS extra for the folks here. Meantime, Cash looks about and is glad
he snagged some extra food. He dumps his backpack with it's emergency
stack of 5 cans of Fancy Feast and 5 of larger dog food types.

[Sammy 'ports to the canyon and spots Iowna, Daisy-chan, Cash, Pete, and
the Siamese sisfurs and is startled to see that the bobcat is an orange
(ginger) tabby. He figures that must be a good sign, since orange
tabbies MUST be good folks. He approaches the bobcat.]

Hello, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mine name is Sam, and I'z a repurresentative
of FluffyKitz Catering. I hear from Iowna dat youz guys could use some
help wif your food supply. I bringed along a special freight teleporter
dat is linked directly to the FluffyKitz warehouse, so'z we can git
bunches an bunches of fudz here fast.

I see dat dere is a few of youz bobcats, an a couple bears, and a bunch
of bunnies and skwirls an birds an lizzards an snakes. We'z gotz lots of
fudz fur all deze aminals, and I'll be glad to bring a whole bunch of
goodies through. It looks like Iowna an Cash is setting up some tents
fur supplies an stuff, an we'z gotz a nice TED available to help any
aminals dat got hurted.

Old September 29th 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Samuel Redcat Mahoney wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[...]

The BobCat looks up and freezes for a moment. Then jumps up and
nose-boops Samuel Redcat!

He drops back with a blush but they are all hungry. He's not thinking
yet of other than full tummies but knows a few need to have a TED as
well.

Looking over Samuel's list, he adds:

1 bale hay with grain attached
40lbs sweet potatoes

Scratching in the sand and trying to add:

20 cabbages
10 pumpkins

Then counting hard on fingers, 80lbs cat food (the wolves can eat it
but the cat types will go blind without taurine added).

Sitting back, the BobCat hopes it was not too much to ask for. It was a
thin amount for a month so it was minimal for their side. They guess
the other side needs the same?

He looks at it and hopes, then grabs several good diggers. They have
just the right spot to dig a root celler if more arrives. They see one
on the other side just as good and start digging it out too.

Beevers who know how to make covers, come to help.

He sits back and looks hopeful. He's quite thin, having passed much of
his portion of food to kittens and puppies and squirrels and porcupines
and such.

He sees a rather large Beagle park a little one by him and knows it's
Iowa. The bigger one goes to help dig out cool spot for the storage.
He settles down with Iowna and whispers what he sees to her.

Old September 29th 16, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sundance and/or Rebecca

[Rebecca observes]

Mr. BobCat, yoo kum wif myownself fur a minnit.

[She leads the bobcat through the 'porter to the Fluffykitz warehouse, to the cat food section. She pulls down a big bag of cat food, and they watch as the warehouse automation immediately replaces it on the shelf.]

Dere, see? Da warehowse alwaze replacez whutever we takes. Yoo seem to be a leeder type, so itz impurrtant dat yoo keepz up yurown strenth so yoo kan hewp the utherz. So rite now I wantz yoo to eet yurown fill. We iz not leevin da warehowse until yoo duz.

[The bobcat is reluctant, but he sees that Rebecca means business, so he starts eating. He goes slowly at first, but then takes great mouthfuls. When he is finished, he gives a big burp, and they both laugh.]

Datz betterer. Now juss hold on a minnit wile I takez kare uv sumfing...

[Rebecca pulls up the Fluffykitz app on her catmunicator and gives it instructions to make regular deliveries to the canyon until further notice, starting immediately.]

Dere. Now dere will be delifuriez efurry day uv fudz fur awl da aminalz in da canyon. If yoo needz to chang enneefing -- like how much, or how offin, or whut to send, or whare to put it -- yoo juss kum bak heer to da warehowse an tawk into dis mikrophone an say whut iz needed. Dere iz purrpared fudz like I juss givved yoo, or yoo kan hav meetz or vejiblez or whutever iz best fur efurrywun.

So whut shud we take bak wif ussez rite now?

Rebecca
Old September 29th 16, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Samuel Redcat Mahoney

[...]

[Clanking, and rumbling can be heard from deep within the FluffyKitz
warehouse, and is soon followed by a soft roar. The roar approaches,
and soon the source is seen - a bright yellow tractor pulling a string
of carts. Sammy is at the controls of the tractor, and the carts are
piled high with a huge selection of foods - meats, kibble, canned foods,
hay, potatoes, cabbages, pumpkins, pine cones loaded with pine nuts,
canisters of juicy worms - enough types of food to feed a forest full
of wild creatures.]

Here we go, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mebbe dis will be a good start. The
catmunicator dat Rebecca showed you will take care of deliverin'
whatever you'z meow to it. But dis load here ought to get a start at
filling da tummies of all da critters you're purrtecting.

An I belief dat Ranger has 'ported over to da canyon wif an excatvator
to help wif da root cellar.

Sammy
Old September 30th 16, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

[...]

A young filly, not full grown yet, leads her sire who was burned in the
face, to Sammy. There's no help for the lost eye (and the other is
fine) but he thinks the blind one is now infected and he should see a
TED. Carefully perched on his back is an armadillo with 2 burned feet
when she had to run for it. They aren't too bad and will heal in time,
but they hurt to walk on for now. She's soaked them a little in a cool
stream but knows she can't do that too much or the pads will soften and
get infected. One of the other Bobcats comes up and lifts her down
along with her 2 babies, to sit on a pillow they made of spare hair
from the 2 sheep that made it up to safety.

The Sire took the worst damage with loss of an eye due to sparks. The
rest just need food and have recovered, or are well on the way to it.
The TED comes up with a soft voice and examines the Sire. The eye
indeed, needs to come out. He calls for Iowna and situates her so he
can see the enucleated side and explains the procedure. Iowna assures
him it will never hurt again and about 3-4 days later, he will feel a
LOT better. He looks at his little filly, only half a year old, and
nods. He sets up his tent for a horse and has him resting as the
anesthesia takes hold, then checks the Armadillo.

Looking, he sees she's wisely taken care of herself. He pulls out some
natural herbs that provide a little numbness then adds an ice cube. He
has her rub her sore toes in alternation on the ice cube. As it melts,
the herbs numb her paw pads enough to be comfortable. He adds a little
marigold for it's natural antibiotic properties. He shows her how to
cup just what fits in her paw for a single dose over an ice cube. She's
to do this in the morning, once again when the sun sets, and then
sometime in the middle of the night, for the next 4 days. Sam nods,
they have plenty of ice.

Going back into the tent, he takes care of the Sire. It goes well and
he will be up and about in an hour or so. While waiting, he makes up a
fruit jelly concoction to wrap his pain killers in. He's to take them
4 times a day. Sam nods and sets up a timer schedule.

Old September 30th 16, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

[...]

The Bobcat sits astounded! It's the first good meal he's had since the
fire and now he feels almost guilty but he looks about at the largess,
and knows the others will also be fed.

He thinks. He needs earthworms and grubs right away. This area was
too high to have good ones and most of the insects seemed to go
someplace else for a bit. The Armadillo family were trying to eek it
out on burned beetles at the edges that others were digging out for
them.

We need fresh berries and fruits for the raccoons. Nuts and grains for
many of them and hay with the grain seeds still attached. Corn, still
on husk so they can eat it easier.

We've run out of meat unless we eat each other and no one has done
that, but some of us are pretty much not able to make it any longer
without meat. Kibble works though! I need to get some of this
excellent kibble to the wolves really soon. He looks shyly at Rebecca
and says they've been making due on the burned bits of who didnt make
it to safety but they ran out 4 days ago...

Old September 30th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

[...]

Mr Bobcat smiles a happy grin. As food starts to flow out to everyone
and they gather to eat, first there is just the sounds of famished
animals sharing their first good meal in a long time, with plenty for
all.

As the various chomping/slurping/nibbling and such sounds subside, they
get curious and start to wonder why these wonderful folks came?

Mr. Bobcat sits quietly and when there is a pace of quiet, asks. 'What
is a Jellicle Ball? Importantly, what can we do to help?'

An elder wolf with a greying muzzle comes up and says he knows just a
little bit. It was something his gradsire heard of from his grandsire.
That just like Sirius watches for them, the cats have one who watches
for them. Once year the cats would gather to sing the praises to the
great Cat, much like wolves in a pack will sporadically sing to Sirius.

The Bobcats eye pop wide open! I know of this but not related to a
ball. Can you others tell us more? She is the big panther queen to
us. Her name is Bast. Is your name for her the same? It is the name
she told us for her back in the depths of time. We sometimes see her
at night and in our dreams.

The rescues, wild and domestic look to the small advance party with
questions in their eyes and happy hopes!

Old October 1st 16, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sundance and/or Rebecca

Yes, we knowz her az Bast. We aknollidge her at da Jellicle Ball, but fur ussez da ball iz mostly abowt rememberin owrown frenz hoo haz went to da Rainbow Bridge durin the past yeer. At da beginnin of da ball, we reedz all dere namez aloud. After dat, doze hoo wantz to kan tell uss abowt whut dey rememfurz abowt da deer departid -- we kall doze tribyootz. We also haz lotz an lotz to eet, an a band or orkestra so doze hoo wantz to kan danse. Arown midnite, if Bast allowz, sumfing furry majikkle happinz -- we luk up in da sky an da Rainbow Bridge appeerz! Fur juss a fyoo minnitz we kan see owrown frenz dat haz lefted ussez. Fur me, dat iz da bestest part. After dat, we reedz da namez agin, an sumtimez noo namez haz bin added durin da eevnin. Den da offishul part iz over but efurrywun kan stay az long az dey wantz. Offin da ball lasts sefural hoomin dayz, but it iz just wun day an nite fur ussez.

So dat iz why we iz heer. We thinked dis wud be a gud place to hab da Ball becuz dere muss be sumfing speshul heer if it survived wile efurryfing arown it burned.

An now I haz a kweschun: may we hab da ball heer? We duz not want to cawze diffycultiez fur yoo. Whether da ball is heer or not, we will still hewp all uv yurownselvez az we hab startid to do: we will leeb da 'porter an efurryfing, an da Fluffykitz warehowse will still deliver fingz az long az yoo needz, an yoo kan kall on ussez if yoo needz enneefing else.

So whut duz yoo say?

Rebecca

Iowna's Birthday! cshenk Cat community 40 July 29th 15 02:36 PM
Iowna stole my bed! cshenk Cat community 2 May 17th 15 06:37 PM
Iowna on the prowl cshenk Cat community 3 August 18th 14 02:15 AM
Iowna, sezing Hi! cshenk Cat community 6 October 6th 13 11:18 PM
Harri Roadcat checks in Harri Cat community 7 March 21st 05 07:06 PM