Caring for an older cat questions.......

Old January 17th 04, 04:47 PM
MJohns7861

Default Caring for an older cat questions.......

As my indoor cat Willi approaches his 10th birthday in April am wondering if
there are something I need to think about regarding his health. I generally
take him in once a year for his vet visit and shots. Am debating if I should
now move this to every 6 months. Any thoughts? I have read in someplaces there
is a value to perhaps getting him x-rayed periodically to identify any
possiblity of cancer early. Also, he has never had his teeth cleaned and wonder
if I need to be thinking about any dental issues he may have in his senior
years. Overall, Willi has a good health history and had his PC surgery when he
was 6 for a blockage and has never been outside the house. However, he is in
the 16 lb range and really needs to lose some weight. He is currently eating a
ProPlan weight management dry food.

Any feedback or thoughts are appeciated.

Magnus
Old January 17th 04, 05:51 PM
Gail

I would say once yearly which includes blood work. I think x-rays are not
needed unless the vet detects something upon physical exam. His teeth should
also be checked during this exam along with his body (which is felt for any
lumps, etc).
Gail

Old January 17th 04, 07:49 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in
message

snip for space

What a great post. I saved it and will refer back to it as my babies,
now 4 and 7, age. Thanks for taking the time to write it, Laura.

Old January 17th 04, 08:09 PM
MaryL

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
Laura R. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

That is something I've been considering. I've tried to make a path for
Kami to use up and down from the bed because she "splats" when she
jumps down from things because her hips are getting weak, I think. She
just won't use what I provide. Nothing worse than a prideful cat...

Some pet sites sell carpeted steps (2 or 3 steps) for this purpose. I think
Drs. Foster and Smith have several in their catalog.

MaryL