Air Travel With Cat

Old October 17th 04, 08:41 PM
Cat Protector

Default Air Travel With Cat

I might be going to a cat show in Las Vegas with my cat Isis and was
wondering if anyone had any tips on how to travel with her by air. I have
read it isn't good to tranquilize a cat for air travel since it could be
problematic. I have also read that bringing the cat as carry-on and being
able to fit the carrier under the seat is ideal but have no clue how much
room there is under the seat for a carrier. I have a small carrier (not hard
but more sherpa bag-like) but am not sure if it is small enough.

I am guessing the flight will be an hour or so since I'll be going there
from Phoenix. I am concerned that she might need to use the litterbox as
well and I am pretty sure they probably won't allow her out for a bathroom
break. If I also were to fly I plan on bringing her into the vet before hand
so she is checked out and also has her health certificates with me (This is
a new vet so I imagine they'll probably give her a rabies shot and others).

I am also wondering if travelling by car is better or less stressful as a
trip to Vegas is probably at least a 4-6 hour drive by car? I want to do
what is less stressful on Isis. She is ok with car travel short distances
but I am not sure as it is a much longer distance. I also have never been to
Vegas so I am a bit uneasy. Is air travel better than car travel for a cat?
If so, which airline is the best to travel with a cat?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old October 17th 04, 09:11 PM
Angela St.Aubin

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have an answer for you, but this is something I have often worried
about as well.
Not so much for travel, but for moving far distances.
The solution I came up with in my mind, if i was moving across country for
example, with my kitties of course, was instead of flying and dealing with
all that stress and mess and worry, is to rent an RV so they can wander
free, use litter box, eat and drink, etc.
Im not sure what i will do if i need to move overseas. maybe hope to find a
cruise ship that allows pets?ha!

Old October 17th 04, 09:15 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I want to do what is less stressful on Isis.

Why travel with her if you don't have to? Just stay home, she doesn't
*need* to go to the cat show.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old October 17th 04, 09:36 PM
Mimi Forsyth

car travel is FAR preferable for the cat. Your Sherpa bag will fit under a
plane seat....but the noise is deafening & very traumatic for the cat. You are
right not to tranquilize. In case of turbulence, the cat has to be able to
brace itself.
4-6 hours in a car is nothing. And along the route you can talk to the cat,
comfort it, supply treats & water. Worst case scenario, you can put on a leash
& let the cat use a sandbox....but probably the cat will 'hold it' out of sheer
terror anyway. For the same reason, it might not want food or water. But, nice
if they're available.
Besides, airlines (and only a few of them) - as of 6 years ago- only allowed 3
animals per cabin, so reservations had to be made well in advance.
Under no circumstances should a pet ever fly as cargo. Especially a cat like a
Persian that already has breathing difficulties.
My two cents!

Old October 17th 04, 09:49 PM
Cat Protector

I have been reading that the treats and water can be supplied. One Site
suggested that I get one of those drip bottles that they use for guinea pigs
for the water and few cat treats. They said the cat might not take either
but that was ok. I was worried more about the litter box part. I read on one
Site that with the flying vs car travel that each are stressful on the cat
but that flying may be better as the travel time is cut down significantly.
If I fly I will not want Isis to fly as cargo. She needs to be with me in
the cabin. Has anyone here had a successful flight with a cat?

Old October 17th 04, 09:51 PM
Cat Protector

Yeah she has been in the car before but nothing like a 4-6 drive to Vegas. I
have a small car and she usually travels in the carrier as I am not sure I
want a cat wondering the car freely.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Barb" wrote in message
erio.net...
I would check with the airline for exactly what kind of carry-on bag would
be acceptable in the cabin. Then, If you are not allowed to bring her
into
the cabin with you definitely do not fly. Drive her. She's been in the
car
before? Four or five hours is no big deal. I have driven between New
York
and Florida with one cat and two cats and they were fine. No
tranquilizers.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.