BW and catfur proof keyboard

Old August 24th 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default BW and catfur proof keyboard

After yet another keyboard dying due to the ingress of cat fur, crumbs
and coffee, I"ve invested in a Flexible keyboard. Its really thin, just
sort of pimpled rubber. Its the same size as a normal keyboard, so touch
typing isn't an issue. Its also really quiet and can't be easily damaged
by a random cat walking across it or knocking it onto the floor.

The only thing I don't like about it is that its not slightly sloping
upwards, like traditional keyboards. But if this one lasts more than 6
months (unlike all the others), it will be a good investment.

It looks like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...000_Green.html

(yes, mine is green)

Yowie
Old August 24th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
After yet another keyboard dying due to the ingress of cat fur, crumbs
and coffee, I"ve invested in a Flexible keyboard. Its really thin,
just sort of pimpled rubber. Its the same size as a normal keyboard,
so touch typing isn't an issue. Its also really quiet and can't be
easily damaged by a random cat walking across it or knocking it onto
the floor.
The only thing I don't like about it is that its not slightly sloping
upwards, like traditional keyboards. But if this one lasts more than 6
months (unlike all the others), it will be a good investment.

It looks like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...000_Green.html

(yes, mine is green)

Yowie

Maybe someone could fashion a wooden wedge to go under it. I hope it lasts
long enough for you to get sick of the colour. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 24th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Adrian kirjoitti:
Yowie wrote:
After yet another keyboard dying due to the ingress of cat fur, crumbs
and coffee, I"ve invested in a Flexible keyboard. Its really thin,
just sort of pimpled rubber. Its the same size as a normal keyboard,
so touch typing isn't an issue. Its also really quiet and can't be
easily damaged by a random cat walking across it or knocking it onto
the floor.
The only thing I don't like about it is that its not slightly sloping
upwards, like traditional keyboards. But if this one lasts more than 6
months (unlike all the others), it will be a good investment.

It looks like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...000_Green.html

(yes, mine is green)

Yowie

Maybe someone could fashion a wooden wedge to go under it. I hope it lasts
long enough for you to get sick of the colour. ;-)

It wouldn't even have to be a wedge. It could be a board with a couple
of extra bits under the front end to make it tilt in the desired angle.

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old August 24th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christine K wrote:
Adrian kirjoitti:
Yowie wrote:
[...]

Even better! :-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 24th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Adrian kirjoitti:
Christine K wrote:
Adrian kirjoitti:
Yowie wrote:
[...]

And especially easier to make...

Old August 24th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

After yet another keyboard dying due to the ingress of cat fur, crumbs
and coffee, I"ve invested in a Flexible keyboard. Its really thin, just
sort of pimpled rubber. Its the same size as a normal keyboard, so touch
typing isn't an issue. Its also really quiet and can't be easily damaged
by a random cat walking across it or knocking it onto the floor.

The only thing I don't like about it is that its not slightly sloping
upwards, like traditional keyboards. But if this one lasts more than 6
months (unlike all the others), it will be a good investment.

I just had an ergonomics consultation at work, and something I learned
(that I had no idea about) is that keyboards that slope upwards *away*
from your hands (ie, so the higher edge of the keyboard is further from
your body) is actually bad for your hands, because it forces them to bend
upwards, too. That's very bad for the carpal tunnel area. A keyboard
that's completely flat (or maybe even sloping the other way? I didn't
ask about that) is much better for your hands.

So I asked, if that's the case, why are so many keyboards manufactured
to slope the "bad" way? The answer? So that people can see the letters on
the keys better! Apparently there are a lot of non touch typists out there.
Not a problem for you!

It looks like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...000_Green.html

(yes, mine is green)

Wow, that is a particularly hideous shade of green. (And I don't care
if people in other parts of the world have to type on keyboards made out
of dog poop. It's ugly, end of story!) However, it still looks cool!
Is it kind of wet-feeling and a bit sticky? I don't mean that it's
actually either wet or actually sticky, just asking if it has that kind
of feeling to the touch.

And *waterproof*, wow. New frontiers in peripheral development! It must
have been designed by someone who reads this newsgroup. No more BW's for
you.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 24th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

After yet another keyboard dying due to the ingress of cat
fur, crumbs
and coffee, I"ve invested in a Flexible keyboard. ...

And *waterproof*, wow. New frontiers in peripheral development!
It must
have been designed by someone who reads this newsgroup. No
more BW's for
you.

Indeed. "Plastic Electronics" is a fast developing industry.
Organic polymers are being developed to create thin flexible
colour displays as well, and the technology will provide huge
advances in medical devices. Bionic eyes are coming...

--
MatSav

Old August 24th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:
Yowie wrote:

[...]

Ah, in that case I wont bother with a wedge. Before coming across this
keyboard I searched high and low for a white (or cream) keyboard with
black print on the keys. COuldn't find one. All the keyboards are now
black with white lettering. I know from experience that white lettering
wears off pretty quickly, but even when it doesn't, the letters are hard
to see in dim light. Thankfully I can sort-of touch type, but I can only
touch type the letters, the numbers an symbols are still a bit of a
mystery to me.

So I asked, if that's the case, why are so many keyboards manufactured
to slope the "bad" way? The answer? So that people can see the letters on
the keys better! Apparently there are a lot of non touch typists out there.
Not a problem for you!

It looks like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...000_Green.html

(yes, mine is green)

Wow, that is a particularly hideous shade of green. (And I don't care
if people in other parts of the world have to type on keyboards made out
of dog poop. It's ugly, end of story!) However, it still looks cool!

Its not quite the hideous green of the photo.... well, it would be if i
took a photo and turned hte chroma way up IYSWIM. I think its actually
a pleasant turquoise colour

Is it kind of wet-feeling and a bit sticky? I don't mean that it's
actually either wet or actually sticky, just asking if it has that kind
of feeling to the touch.

No, it feels like, well, silicon rubber. Like those new nifty baking
trays, or um, well, anything else made of silicone rubber :-)

And *waterproof*, wow. New frontiers in peripheral development! It must
have been designed by someone who reads this newsgroup. No more BW's for
you.

Well, ican imagine if I submergedthe whole thing in hot water and boiled
it,it may develop a leak (around the cord I would suspect), but I can
(and already have) poured coffee all over it, and it just rinses off.

Yowie
Old August 24th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

Ah, in that case I wont bother with a wedge. Before coming across this
keyboard I searched high and low for a white (or cream) keyboard with
black print on the keys. COuldn't find one. All the keyboards are now
black with white lettering. I know from experience that white lettering
wears off pretty quickly, but even when it doesn't, the letters are hard
to see in dim light. Thankfully I can sort-of touch type, but I can only
touch type the letters, the numbers an symbols are still a bit of a
mystery to me.

Look for an HP keyboard - mine's cream with black letters. It came with my
machine (which, amazingly, is not cream colored , but silver....)
/\,,,/\
(='.'=)
(")_(") Kathy and Woodgie - who sits to the side of the computer, never a
keyboard dancer (yet)

Old August 25th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

Yowie wrote:

It looks like this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...000_Green.html

Looks like something that Emily would sharpen her claws on ;-)

--
Nik Simpson