misc cat stuff (sorta long)

Old December 15th 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default misc cat stuff (sorta long)

Some of you may remember that I posted quite a while ago about one of
my kitties, Buck, who has occasionally displayed heat-like behaviour
in spite of having been spayed. Well, after some examination and
discussion, the vet suggested it could simply be a symptom of anxiety,
and when I thought about that, it did occur to me that she's always
been a fairly anxious cat. Apparently the fact that she's "in heat"
during the winter is kind of a giveaway, since I'm told that's not
supposed to happen. So the vet prescribed amitriptyline (aka Elavil)
and recommended a Feliway diffuser. After a month of daily
amitriptyline (10mg), she's down to every other day. She was pretty
whacked out on the daily, not really ever playing or interacting with
the other cats, though she seemed to be adjusting toward the end of
the daily doses and at least wanted attention from me. I'm very happy
with the every-other-day schedule--now she's back to chasing paper
balls and washing Jimmer's face, even if only every other day. If she
doesn't have any more problems on this schedule, she could get cut
back to a couple times per week. Hard to say how things will go
long-term, but if I can keep her reasonably playful and not acting
goofy with a minimum of pilling, I'll be happy enough.

Other stuff at the forefront of things is the integration of the new
guy, Jungle Jack, whom I posted about early last month. His big day
was a week before US Thanksgiving: snip, chip, baseline workup,
FIV/FeLV test, and 2nd PCRP. He got to come home the same day, so he
was very groggy and wobbly, kept falling over when he tried to walk.
But he was pretty much as good as new within three days or so.

Since a couple weeks after the snip, he's been acting better towards
the other cats, no more of the not backing down when hissed at or
taking an unnecessary interest in one of the cats going out of his
sight. It probably helps, too, that the others aren't quite so
growly/hissy any more, though they still do if Jack gets too close.
I'm his only playmate, so I feel bad for him. And when he's not in
his room, which is whenever I'm home and awake, he "can't" come cuddle
because the other cats are usually already with me, and he's very
cautious about getting too near them. Jimmer usually just hisses and
growls; Grizzly will sometimes cautiously exchange a nose-sniff with
Jack, but then she either backs away suddenly or hisses/growls; and if
Buck is lying just off Jack's path as he chases after the Kitty Kong I
throw for him, she'll sometimes jump out and swat at him. Still, he
wants to make friends--he keeps trying to entice Jimmer into chasing
him. Until things become more harmonious, I just have to make sure he
gets some "daddy" time and good playtime away from the other cats
every day. Ah, well, it hasn't been that long, really, only a couple
weeks since I've been letting him out a lot. And I'm probably spoiled
by the 3-4 weeks it took Jimmer to completely accept Grizzly and Buck
when they came along. But things are basically good and seem to be
improving little by little, so I'm not too concerned overall.

Just four new pics of the jungle kitty since the last time I posted
about him:

http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/randompics/couchcats.jpg (not in an album yet)
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/jack07.jpg
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/jack08.jpg
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...er-jack-01.jpg

The last two were also posted to abpa recently. The first one I
basically took out of surprise at seeing a sleeping cat so close to
Jack. (All three were zonked when I came upon them.)

Pictures of all my cats can be found at
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/ , should anyone be so
inclined.

Jeff
Old December 16th 05, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

JB wrote:

Just four new pics of the jungle kitty since the last time I posted
about him:

http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/randompics/couchcats.jpg (not in an album yet)
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/jack07.jpg
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/jack08.jpg
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...er-jack-01.jpg

I love the last one - they look just like bookends. Bookends that are
looking at each other warily, that is.

Joyce
Old December 16th 05, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

JB wrote:

Pictures of all my cats can be found at
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/ , should anyone be so
inclined.

I like Jack's "I lick my nose at you" picture. And if his tail weren't
visible, one might think that Jack was part of the painting behind him.

Buck is really pretty. She has a tomboy name! (Nothing wrong with
that.)

Joyce

Old December 16th 05, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...er-jack-01.jpg
I love the last one - they look just like bookends. Bookends that are
looking at each other warily, that is.

I liked Alan Erskine's analogy to North and South Korea on abpa. =)

I like Jack's "I lick my nose at you" picture. And if his tail weren't
visible, one might think that Jack was part of the painting behind him.

laugh you know, you're right! that's exactly how it looks if I block
out his tail with my hand.

Buck is really pretty. She has a tomboy name! (Nothing wrong with
that.)

thanks, she is a cutie. I actually never address her as Buck any more,
always Binky. it suits her better, I think.

Jeff
Old December 16th 05, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu 15 Dec 2005 03:46:52p, JB wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

[...]

Hi Jeff. I will look at the pics later as I've had the week from
hell, but wanted to write you about what you wrote. I'm so glad
Buck is helped with the drug therapy. Please be careful about
cutting back to every other day, or worse, every third day. I tried
that with Shamrock. He's not on Elavil, but Clomicalm. Still, mood
changing drug. Come to find out, it can cause severe problems if
these types of drugs aren't in the body's system at a consistant
rate. If trying to cut back the dose, cut back the daily dose
rather than skip a day or two. Shamrock totally freaked out on me
on day after being on every other day Clomicalm. It was in the
morning one day, and I had to put him downstairs by himself because
I had to leave for work and I was worried about my other three
because of how he was acting. I didn't have time to figure out what
was bothering him. When I got home 10 hours later, and let him out
of downstairs (fully finished living area with plenty of windows
and doors) he was under my feet every step I made, crying, and
acted as if I had punished him, and he was desparate for
forgiveness. He was a total mess. After that, I went back to daily
Clomicalm but just started cutting the dose by minor degrees. He
hasn't had that type of day since.

--
Cheryl
Old December 16th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
JB wrote:

Just four new pics of the jungle kitty since the last time I posted
about him:

http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/randompics/couchcats.jpg (not in an album
yet)
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/jack07.jpg
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/pets/jack08.jpg
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...er-jack-01.jpg

I love the last one - they look just like bookends. Bookends that are
looking at each other warily, that is.

Joyce

Yep, bookends who have each decided that the *other* pillow is more
appropriate for them.
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old December 16th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In ,
Cheryl shouted to everyone in earshot,

Hi Jeff. I will look at the pics later as I've had the week from
hell, but wanted to write you about what you wrote. I'm so glad
Buck is helped with the drug therapy. Please be careful about
cutting back to every other day, or worse, every third day. I tried
that with Shamrock. He's not on Elavil, but Clomicalm. Still, mood
changing drug. Come to find out, it can cause severe problems if
these types of drugs aren't in the body's system at a consistant
rate. If trying to cut back the dose, cut back the daily dose
rather than skip a day or two. Shamrock totally freaked out on me
on day after being on every other day Clomicalm.

Wow, ok. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on Buck and see what
the vet has to say about such things (since she's who changed Buck's
med schedule, of course).

Jeff
Old December 17th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 16 Dec 2005 09:49:52a, JB wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

[...]

I just say that because I told my vet that I wanted to try to wean
Shamrock off the Clomicalm and was going to try every other day,
and she didn't have a problem with that. She did tell me when we
first discussed using Clomicalm that she'd never used it with cats
before. I didn't mean to sound like it was insulting to you or your
vet. I'm sorry.

--
Cheryl
Old December 17th 05, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In ,
Cheryl shouted to everyone in earshot,
I just say that because I told my vet that I wanted to try to wean
Shamrock off the Clomicalm and was going to try every other day,
and she didn't have a problem with that. She did tell me when we
first discussed using Clomicalm that she'd never used it with cats
before. I didn't mean to sound like it was insulting to you or your
vet. I'm sorry.

no, no, you're fine, I didn't take it that way at all. I guess I was
just trying to clear up whose idea the weaning-down was (i. e., not
mine), since I didn't really say in the first post. but I suppose
that probably wasn't necessary.

anyway, I do appreciate your concern and advice. I guess I'm not sure
how much experience my vet vet has with cats in this sort of
situation, either, and it's good that you mentioned your experience
with an unknowing vet just to remind me that it can happen. I didn't
get a chance to talk to her about it today, so next week.

Jeff