feline distemper

Old November 16th 03, 02:33 AM
peter

Default feline distemper

Our 2 year old cat whom we thought we'd had fixed came home pregnant.
She had four kittens who have been healthy till a few days ago. They
started vomiting and have diahrea--took them to the vet and he's
diagnosed distemper--very low white blood count in the one that was
tested and high fevers--105 degrees.
We had also rescued another kitten--this one has the high fever, but
no vomiting or diahrea- also white blood count is not nearly as low.
Vet has said we should put all of them down as we can't afford the
$700/cat vet bills with no assurance of a cure.
We are sick at heart and wondering if there is any hope in home cures
for the ones that are not as sick as the others? Our vets says home
cures have 35% success--but are also several hundred dollars for each
Rx for each cat.
Please respond as soon as possible--the vet won't lower his euthanisia
fee of $120/cat and has told us to go the the shelter to have them put
down.
Lastly, do we have to assume the mother has this too if she is
exhibiting no symptoms?
Thank you in advance,
Beth Schulberg
Old November 16th 03, 03:07 AM
MaryL

"peter" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Please contact the Humane Society or a rescue group, if you have one in your
area. They may be able to offer you some help. Also $120 per cat for a
euthanasia fee is outrageous and unprincipled. Please contact another vet
and ask some questions over the phone prior to a visit, both for health care
and for euthanasia fees.

MaryL

Old November 16th 03, 03:14 AM

We are sick at heart and wondering if
there is any hope in home cures for the
ones that are not as sick as the others?
Our vets says home cures have 35%
success--but are also several hundred
dollars for each Rx for each cat.

Back in '92 I rescued a mother cat and 4 kittens that came down with
distemper. The mother and one kitten survived. The kitten suffered some
brain damage which resulted in some permanent coordination problems, but
other than that she is fine. Watching kittens die is heartbreaking, and
I think you need to seriously consider not only your financial ability
to deal with this, but also whether you are to make the commitment to
see this through regardless of the outcome. I would say the mother and
the older kitten have a good chance, but it sounds like the young
kittens are going to be where you have to make tough choices. There is
no easy answer, but it seems that at least some of the cats can be
saved.
In the future it would be a good idea to not only be sure that your cats
are fixed, but also to isolate any newcomers until you can be sure of
their health. It may be that bringing in the most recent kiten was the
catalyst for this situation. It's hard to say, but with multiple cats,
especially when some of the ones you have contact with are outside, you
have to be so very careful.
I hope you can save some of these cats and get a better handle on
things. Good luck.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 17th 03, 05:08 AM
Kalyahna

"peter" wrote in message
om...
Our 2 year old cat whom we thought we'd had fixed came home pregnant.

That hit my curiosity button. How is it this cat was only -thought- to be
fixed? It doesn't sound like this is a cat someone gave you and told you was
fixed. The phrasing suggests you had her taken to be spayed on your own
dime.