Why did all the kittens in one litter die?

Old February 29th 04, 12:03 AM
Artisanwomyn

Default Why did all the kittens in one litter die?

I am baffled why all the kittens born yesterday didn't make it. Long story
short, the cat was a stray I found outside about a month ago after someone
tossed it from their car. I had no idea kitty was pregnant until she had the
kittens yesterday. I suspected she may be pregnant as her tummy had gotten
larger, but I had no idea it would be yesterday. She had been at a shelter for
three weeks and they had treated her with antibiotics for an upper respiratory
infection as well as rabies shot and a few other vaccinations. The fourth
kitten was born approx 12 hours later and was stillborn. One kitty in the
litter was the runt of the litter and she didn't seem like she would make it.
I tried using an eye dropper to feed them but they continually cried and
couldn't seem to find their niche to nurse from their mother. I tried holding
their little bodies and and gently press face near nipple but they seemed to
fall off. Even the two kittens who seemed the biggest and able to nurse didn't
make it. Is it common for all kittens to perish. Did I do something wrong. I
feel so badly about it but I did all I could. I even went to emergency animal
hospital at 3 a.m. this morning to have the stillborn cat's placenta tied off
and mother checked out. My dad came over today and picked up the three kittens
and buried them in their backyard. Any advice on what may have triggered this
would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old February 29th 04, 12:25 AM
m. L. Briggs

On 29 Feb 2004 00:03:09 GMT, ojunk (Artisanwomyn)
wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry for the sad ending to this story. I am not an expert on
birthing kittens, but it would seem to me that the illness, shots, etc
would not be condusive to a successful birth. I hope you have her
spayed when she is well and that she will become a wonderful pet for
you. MLB

Old February 29th 04, 02:02 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Artisanwomyn at
ojunk wrote on 2/28/04 6:03 PM:

[...]

So sorry to hear this, but I don't think YOU did anything wrong. I'm sure
that she had no good nutrition through the pregnancy, she was sick and
simply didn't have the ability to have healthy kittens. Please don't feel
bad that you did something. It sounds like you did what you could and I am
so glad you had the mom checked out. I hope she is feeling better and I'm
glad she has found a home, yes?

Karen

Old February 29th 04, 02:39 AM
Cathy Friedmann

I am so sorry about this cat's kittens. I don't know why they didn't make
it, but perhaps there was a problem that had developed before you found &
rescued her, since the gestation period for cats is a little over two
months; 63 - 65 days, IIRC.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 29th 04, 06:16 AM
Artisanwomyn

Thank you for all the kind responses. Mom seems to be doing pretty good. I'm
sure she senses her babies are gone and she appears to be missing them some,
but I try to give her lots of love and attention, as well as my six year old
cat who still is getting used to having another cat to compete with. I feel I
did what I could but being that mom was sick and medicated during her pregnancy
may have been detrimental to the outcome of her babies. I will be having her
spayed in March and at least she is now in a home where she will be an indoor
cat and loved. Thanks again.