Neutered male cat trying to mate with my new robe..."(A little off-color, sorry)

Old November 19th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryLyon

Default Neutered male cat trying to mate with my new robe..."(A little off-color, sorry)

Greetings:

Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat, was neutered in the first year of life,
and has never sired any kittens. He has recently developed an unnatural
attachment to my fleece robe, and likes to make biscuits on it with all
four feet, which amused my husband and me enormously - until he
squatted down and tried to "mate" with it! My other neutered male cat,
Bosco, has mounted our female cat occasionally, but he just sits there
and looks like he's trying to think of what happens next. This was a
whole different story. Meaty had an obvious erection and left a little,
er, fluid on my robe. This was quite gross and horrifying.

What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
disappeared with the neutering. And this seems to only happen with this
robe - we've never seen him do it otherwise. So naturally, I'm only
wearing the robe out of his presence...

Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry if this was gross, but we are
really curious and figured you guys would be able to enlighten us...

Cheers!
Amy

Old November 19th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

MaryLyon wrote:
.

What is up with this? I thought these urges and responses would have
disappeared with the neutering.

Read http://www.messybeast.com/moggycat/affy_9.htm

for a similar case where a neutered tom developed an affection for a
jumper! It does happen.

A good few years ago some friends of ours were pretty horrified when
Fluff (Not usually the sort of name I'd like for a cat but described
said cat perfectly- then again I have had cats named Speedy Joe (a
normal sort of name yes he wasn't named by me), Fugazi and Isis and the
current incumbents are Redunzel and Sarrasine- so what do I know about
naming cats?) who had been done at 6 months and was now almost 10
suddenly rediscovered his urges, he mounted everything he could...you
sat with your elbow resting on the arm of a chair and you stood a
better than average chance of finding a large cat humping your arm!
They had one of those snake things for blocking off a draught under the
door and he tore that to bits during one of his more frenzied
couplings!

They took him to the vet who put him on pills (Bromide?) to counter his
urges

So yes it can happen..our beloved Isis (RB) for about 2 years after her
spaying would occasionally have a few days when she would roll about
the floor making noises like she was calling only not so strident.
Sarrasine has been known to "assume the position" on occasions
(normally when presented with a strange man- she's a tart!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 19th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

On 18 Nov 2006 15:52:51 -0800, "MaryLyon" wrote:

[...]

Louis the Bengal was neutered very early, as apparently is the custom
among some breeders these days. Nonetheless, he'll hump bedclothes,
robes, pillows, and your arm if you're careless. He'll let out a howl,
grab your wrist in his mouth and stupidly sit there wondering why your
elbow isn't a vagina.

It's interesting - kinda shows that the mating urge and/or behavior is
not simply governed by testosterone.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
Old November 19th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I needed a good laugh!!!! I think most of them do some of this at some
point in their lives. My Vet says it has nothing to do with hormones -
and everything to do with dominating the situation. It is a behavioral
problem and not a hormonal problem per my vet.

Old November 19th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I am wondering whether the human experience of eunuchs could offer an
insight into how a neutered cat retains or suddenly regains a sex
drive. Just last week here in Louisiana, a convicted child molester
submitted to surgical castration as a plea bargain to avoid the death
penalty or life without parole. (As it stands--or in this case, rests--
he will get at least 15 years).

So from where in our cats' physiologies does this sudden ability to be
sexual arise (no pun intended)? If any eunuchs or non-eunuchs who know
what happens to male libido after castration are following this thread,
please chime in. Or, maybe we should just ask the veternarian.

Old November 19th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MaryLyon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings:

Our 3 year old male, Meat Cat,

There you have it.

You ruined him with a name that makes him fixate on his meaty thing.

lol

hahahahaha

don't mind me, I'm just amusing myself.

Old November 19th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Oh that's interesting and explains a lot. My Boots insists on 'pawing' my
lap. Sometimes he seems to get a little carried away and add some hip
action. That usually gets him a quick trip to the floor (not having any cat
humping on my lap TYVM). He is also the cat who thinks he's the king of the
hill around here and is convinced that he has sole custody of my lap.

oups.com...

Old November 19th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

MaryLyon wrote:
[...]

First get the vet to do a blood test for testosterone to rule out
problems such as ectopic testicular tissue or testosterone production
by a tumour or by abnormal tissue. Once you've ruled out elevated
testosterone levels (which could be an early indicator of more serious
problems that are best spotted early) it is probably a behavioural
problem. The fact he is able to ejaculate suggests this needs
veterinary investigation before dismissing it as behavioural.

Animal behaviourist Peter Neville has reported several cases. One was
due to a bitch in the household giving off pheromones due to abnormal
ovarian tissue (you might want to get your female cat checked in case
she has abnormal tissue). Another was due to a plumbing compound
giving off pheromone-like odours when it heated up (the household had
hot water radiators). You don't get dominance mounting in tom cats in
the same way you do in dogs - cats are not pack animals and haven't
evolved that sort of behaviour.

Old November 20th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Greetings:

No kidding, don't think this hasn't crossed my mind! I didn't name the
wretched fellow - his daddy did, after noticing how much "meat" the
kitty had packed on while growing out of the kitten stage...

Cheers!
Amy