Here, kitty: Police expect house cat, get cougar

Old October 5th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Here, kitty: Police expect house cat, get cougar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

Old October 5th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

I'm glad they were able to relocate the cougar. At least they didn't gun it
down like the police in Chicago did when that one was spotted wandering
around some shops on a city street. Friggin cops never heard of
tranquilizer darts? Grrrrrr.

Jill

Old October 5th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
Matthew wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

I'm glad they were able to relocate the cougar. At least they didn't
gun it down like the police in Chicago did when that one was spotted
wandering around some shops on a city street. Friggin cops never heard
of tranquilizer darts? Grrrrrr.

I suspect the police of a major city like Chicago are less familiar with
the procedures for dealing with an unexpected and possibly dangerous
wild animal than are the police of a more rural area.

Cheryl
Old October 6th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

What a beautiful animal! I think he's still a cub, probably an adolescent.
he still has spots on his fur, and has kind of a baby face. If he weighs
80-90 pounds now, what will he weigh as a full-grown adult?? (I guess
adult males can get up to 150 lbs.)

Talk about poor communication. A woman calls 911 and says she has a
bothersome big cat in her yard. The dispatcher tells the cop that there's
a domestic cat on a woman's property, bothering her. (Why would a cop
even respond to that, though?) Boy was he surprised when he saw the
"kitty". This was like a game of "telephone" - literally.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 6th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

What a beautiful animal! I think he's still a cub, probably an adolescent.
he still has spots on his fur, and has kind of a baby face. If he weighs
80-90 pounds now, what will he weigh as a full-grown adult?? (I guess
adult males can get up to 150 lbs.)

Talk about poor communication. A woman calls 911 and says she has a
bothersome big cat in her yard. The dispatcher tells the cop that there's
a domestic cat on a woman's property, bothering her. (Why would a cop
even respond to that, though?) Boy was he surprised when he saw the
"kitty". This was like a game of "telephone" - literally.

--
Joyce ^..^

Tell me the America funny home videos would not have the million dollar
winner with the look on the cops face when he came face to face

Old October 6th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Cheryl P. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Matthew wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

I'm glad they were able to relocate the cougar. At least they didn't
gun it down like the police in Chicago did when that one was spotted
wandering around some shops on a city street. Friggin cops never
heard of tranquilizer darts? Grrrrrr.

I suspect the police of a major city like Chicago are less familiar
with the procedures for dealing with an unexpected and possibly
dangerous wild animal than are the police of a more rural area.

Cheryl

I'm not familiar with dealing with wild cats either, but even I know to call
animal control. There are alligators where I am now. The video at the
time didn't show any dangerous actions...the big cat was just walking
around. Startled a few people, sure. Didn't hurt or attack anyone. Then
the big bad cops shot it. Arrrgh.

Jill

Jill

Old October 6th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

What a beautiful animal! I think he's still a cub, probably an
adolescent.
he still has spots on his fur, and has kind of a baby face. If he weighs
80-90 pounds now, what will he weigh as a full-grown adult?? (I guess
adult males can get up to 150 lbs.)

Talk about poor communication. A woman calls 911 and says she has a
bothersome big cat in her yard. The dispatcher tells the cop that there's
a domestic cat on a woman's property, bothering her. (Why would a cop
even respond to that, though?) Boy was he surprised when he saw the
"kitty". This was like a game of "telephone" - literally.

--
Joyce ^..^

Tell me the America funny home videos would not have the million dollar
winner with the look on the cops face when he came face to face

My Dad used to *wish* he could have that kind of a "big cat" on our porch,
to keep a particularly annoying neighbor away.

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old October 6th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_big_kitty

My Dad used to *wish* he could have that kind of a "big cat" on our porch,
to keep a particularly annoying neighbor away.

Who needs a rottie or a pit bull with that Guard Kitty?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 6th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rb

jmcquown wrote:

I'm glad they were able to relocate the cougar. At least they didn't
gun it down like the police in Chicago did when that one was spotted
wandering around some shops on a city street. Friggin cops never heard
of tranquilizer darts? Grrrrrr.

What if the wandering cougar found a kid or even an adult - as
Cougars/Mountain Lions can take down an adult - and decided it was lunch
and grabbed it what then? Understand now why if tranquilizers are not
readily available soon enough why the city cops shot it? There is such a
thing as public safety you know. In the county where I live lone hikers
in the mountains or even kids/small animals in areas in city/rural areas
adjoining the mountain lions territory that are vulnerable are attacked
by mountain lions often enough.
Old October 6th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rb

jmcquown wrote:
Cheryl P. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I suspect the police of a major city like Chicago are less familiar
with the procedures for dealing with an unexpected and possibly
dangerous wild animal than are the police of a more rural area.

Cheryl

I'm not familiar with dealing with wild cats either, but even I know to
call animal control. There are alligators where I am now. The video at
the time didn't show any dangerous actions...the big cat was just
walking around. Startled a few people, sure. Didn't hurt or attack
anyone. Then the big bad cops shot it. Arrrgh.

Jill

What if the wandering cougar found a kid or even an adult - as
Cougars/Mountain Lions can take down an adult - and decided it was lunch
and grabbed it what then? Understand now why if tranquilizers are not
readily available soon enough why the city cops shot it? There is such a
thing as public safety you know. In the county where I live lone or
vulnerable hikers in the mountains or even kids/small animals in areas
in city/rural areas adjoining the mountain lions territory that are
vulnerable are attacked by mountain lions often enough since we are
encroaching on their territory not vice versa.