Dumping Cats--A Sign of the Times

Old October 7th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Candace

Default Dumping Cats--A Sign of the Times

I live in a middle-class neighborhood in central Phoenix. There have
always been quite a few stray and/or feral cats around and some of my
indoor cats have come to us this way. We have fed any stray cats
around for years because I think being a stray cat is bad enough
without being hungry all the time. Some of those cats that we've
fed--
those that didn't make it into the indoor realm--have been our
outdoor
cats. Right now, our top outdoor cat, WB, has been with us for at
least 2 years. Even though we got him neutered over a year ago, he
still sprays--hence his outdoor residence. There are several others,
all have names, eat regularly, a few have shown up already neutered,
few others we've gotten fixed and they are no longer around. But, in
the last 4-6 weeks, 4 cats have shown up who are tame and I'm sure
they've been either dumped or abandoned by people who either have
left
their homes or who just can't afford to care for pets. We now spend
over $125 a month on cat food for our 3 indoor cats and anywhere from
6-10 outdoor cats. Most come for 2 squares a day, a couple others
just check in every few days and seem to have another food source.

About 2 weeks ago, a tame kitten showed up and after taking him to
the
vet to be tested for the cat diseases, we brought him in. I wish we
could bring them all in but we just can't. He made it in because he
was tame and too little to be out in the cruel world, tame. There is
another feral kitten outside but he doesn't run up to people like
Google does. So...even though we have 2 cats who aren't that
thrilled
with each other, and who had to be kept separate for the last 4 years
until about 6 months ago, we brought Google in. He's about 3 months
old and will get neutered in a month or so. Fortunately, the other 2
don't hate him as much as they do each other.

But what I'm rambling about is the fact that these poor animals are
being dumped. Right now, a new siamese cat has shown up but is very
shy and will only eat if I leave her bowl in an isolated spot. It's
all too sad. I guess, for now, we are fortunate that we can help
these cats but if either of us lose our jobs, which is always a
possibility in this economic climate and something I worry about
daily, it's not going to be so easy to feed everyone else's outcasts.
Poor little things, to have a home and then all of a sudden to be
homeless in a strange neighborhood. I don't know how they all find
us, I guess they either follow the other cats or can smell the food.

And, no, I'm probably not going to be getting them all neutered
because the only group in town that does TNR still makes you do the
trapping yourself and pay $50 per cat. Not all that much but when
there's a never-ending supply of them, it's a little overwhelming.
All our no-kill shelters are full or going out of business as of
about
2 weeks ago when I called them all in the hopes of placing Google
(now
we're glad we have him, of course). I wouldn't take them to the
Humane Society--which I do think is a good org in many ways--because
they are a kill shelter and they also charge $75 for each animal
turned in. They're always at capacity.

So, we've made our yard as safe as possible for them--if they stay in
the back, which they don't--and provide them with food, attention,
petting if they want it. I will neuter those I can pick up but I
probably won't trap the others--the $$, the time involved when one
works for a living, all that.

I guess I understand why people dump them. I think it's very wrong
and would never do it myself but I suppose they feel they have no
choice, in some cases. Maybe they can't get them a home, or a no-
kill
shelter, or pay the $75 to turn them in to the Humane Society and
they
just hope someone will feed them or that they can provide for
themselves by eating birds and scrounging. They probably think they
are giving them a "chance."

I guess I'm just worried that more and more will show up and that
I'll
be even more overwhelmed. I also get attached to them all and if one
doesn't show up for a day or 2, I get worried and go around looking
for them. I can see that I could easily go insane (seriously). I'm
soooo worried about the financial crisis and just wonder where it
will
all lead and this is just a nasty little sign of the times.

I'm just venting, this has no real purpose; I feel kinda nutz. I just
wish people felt
more responsibility to their pets but I know most people feel
differently about animals than I--and most of you--do. They're
expendable to them.

Candace
Old October 7th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Around here, no shelters are taking cats, big or small. Terre Haute is
overwhelmed by the number they have, about double the regular amount. We
have neighbors who took in strays that gave birth and they are now wondering
what they are doing to do for the winter with the cats, grown now. Some
have paid to take them to the vet but still the number in my town alone is
alarming.

Old October 7th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Candace" wrote in message
[...]

I actually think it's kinder to turn a cat in to a kill shelter than it is
to dump him. At least in a kill shelter he would be humanely euthanized
instead of starving, being ripped apart by dogs, run over and NOT killed by
a car - all the horrible things that very likely could happen. Not every
neighborhood has suck... er kind-hearted cat lovers like you and me.

Like you, I'm also worried about the economy. Shelters all over the nation
are reporting record numbers of pets being turned over by people losing
their houses or just no longer able to afford pet food. It's sad and
disheartening to say the least.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 7th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:03:07 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I actually think it's kinder to turn a cat in to a kill shelter than it is
to dump him. At least in a kill shelter he would be humanely euthanized
instead of starving, being ripped apart by dogs, run over and NOT killed by
a car - all the horrible things that very likely could happen.

That thought runs through my mind all the time. We are currently
feeding and some vetting of 4 cats in the neighborhood - Big Boy, Little
Boy, Luke and Vinnie. Smokey and Ellie started out as neighborhood
strays, but we brought them in. I haven't taken any of our outdoor boys
in to be neutered, because there does not seem to be a place locally to
get it done cheaply.

I often think they might be better off if we took them to the shelter.
At least there, they have some chance of being adopted. We just cannot
bring anymore into the house.

However, I wonder about their chances for adoption. I think Big Boy
has/had a home as he started wearing tags for a while. Now he's not
wearing them again. He is fairly friendly, but he snorts at me all the
time. Vinnie has had ear mites so bad that one ear has collapsed from
his scratching. We have taken care of the mites, but it still appears
that he's missing an ear. While he is very friendly, I worry that a
"deformed" cat would have trouble being adopted. Luke is just now
becoming friendly after about a year or more. I don't think he would
come across well in a shelter setting. Little Boy is a new one -- a
smaller version of Big Boy. We can't really get close to him yet at
all.

I really wish I could find someone to take them. For the time being,
we'll just keep feeding them, and applying Revolution, and hope for the
best.

Lorraine
Old October 7th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Candace wrote:
[...]

There do seem to be a lot of unwilling ferals in the Phoenix area!
There was quite a colony of them in the apartment complex (Paradise
Lakes) where I lived when I first moved to Arizona. Actually, it was a
fairly ideal haven for them, since the landscaping included streams and
fountains, and a fair quantity of rodents and other prey animals were
available (and of course many people put out food for them, despite the
"rules" of the management company).

I now live in a "senior" residence, where we are allowed to have small
pets, so long as we are able to care for them. We are supposed to keep
them indoors, although not everyone does, but there are also some ferals
around. One friendly little female was meowing outside my door the
other day, and tried to follow me to the central dining room. Although
barely more than a kitten herself, her swollen nipples clearly indicated
she was nursing kittens, so I was concerned about her. I asked around,
and one of the care-givers in the lobby told me "she belongs in Building
9" (the Alzheimer's unit here). She was so friendly, I DO hope someone
will see so she gets spayed, once her kittens are weaned!

In shopping in the cat food aisles at PetSmart, I've encountered
volunteers from various rescue organizations in the area, most of whom
maintain no-kill shelters. (In fact, I've made arrangements with one of
them - 4PAWS of Sun Cities - to adopt my babies when I can no longer
care for them.) I'm sure the shelters are overwhelmed, if people are
now abandoning their family pets. However, even if they don't have the
space to accommodate more feline guests, some of them might have sources
to help with their food and medical needs, if it gets too much for you.
Old October 8th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I actually think it's kinder to turn a cat in to a kill shelter than it is
to dump him. At least in a kill shelter he would be humanely euthanized
instead of starving, being ripped apart by dogs, run over and NOT killed
by a car - all the horrible things that very likely could happen. Not
every neighborhood has suck... er kind-hearted cat lovers like you and me.

Like you, I'm also worried about the economy. Shelters all over the
nation are reporting record numbers of pets being turned over by people
losing their houses or just no longer able to afford pet food. It's sad
and disheartening to say the least.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I agree! I grew up in a rural area, and many people seemed to think that it
was "kind" to dump animals in rural places. Many of them assumed that
farmers (or people us, who were not farmers but lived in a farming area)
would adopt them. Most went neglected and died miserable lives. We did
what we could for the ones that were dumped on our property. One summer, we
started out with one cat. That cat was cared for, spayed, had all shots,
etc. Over the course of that summer, various cats were dumped. We
eventually had an additional 13 cats. My parents fed them, but they did not
get the same care as our own cat. By the end of the summer, all 13 of the
"visitor cats" died and we were left with only the original. The cats
apparently caught distemper -- which spread like wildfire among them -- and
only our own, innoculated, cat survived.

MaryL

Old October 8th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 6, 9:33�pm, Candace wrote:
[...]

I hate people who dump animals. Hate is a strong word, and I don't use
it very often. We live
in a prime dumping ground -- in the country, near a lake. Funny thing
is, we don't get many
dogs. Mostly cats.
Our HS just had to implement a $50 fee for relinquished animals. The
board deemed it necessary because quite honestly we are in a financial
crisis. But this is going to drastically increase the number of
animals dumped. I know it is. I was the only dissenting vote. And the
dumped animals who *do* survive are going to reproduce, and we are
just shooting ourselves in the foot, so to speak.
We'll start getting kittens left in buckets overnight at the front
door again and dogs tied up to the gate.

The crazy part is, I need some dumped street-cats. We have a lovely
barn that's full of hay, warm, and a virtual smorgasbord of rodents.
DH goes there to feed every day. I got four desexed ferals from the
HS about ten years ago, and lost my last one recently.. It's a great
life for an ex-feral Where are the jerks that dump cats in your
driveway when you need them?

There are some "wild" cats at DH's work we're trying to catch. The
poor things live off scraps from the employees. No luck so far. Wish
there was some way I could get about four of yours.

Sherry

Sherry
Old October 8th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

I agree! I grew up in a rural area, and many people seemed to think
that it was "kind" to dump animals in rural places. Many of them
assumed that farmers (or people us, who were not farmers but lived in a
farming area) would adopt them. Most went neglected and died miserable
lives. We did what we could for the ones that were dumped on our
property. One summer, we started out with one cat. That cat was cared
for, spayed, had all shots, etc. Over the course of that summer,
various cats were dumped. We eventually had an additional 13 cats. My
parents fed them, but they did not get the same care as our own cat. By
the end of the summer, all 13 of the "visitor cats" died and we were
left with only the original. The cats apparently caught distemper --
which spread like wildfire among them -- and only our own, innoculated,
cat survived.

It's a nasty unpleasant problem, which we also have in my part of the
world. People honestly seem to think that dumping a cat out in the
country is 'giving it a chance', and not ensuring a short miserable life
until it's hit by a car, starved, eaten by a fox or killed by disease.

Our main shelter is in an area away from housing and near some woods. In
spite of large signs & public announcements from staff, some people
simply will not bring animals when there is someone there to accept them
- they just leave them on the doorstep, literally, where they fight with
each other or run off in the woods and are extremely difficult to catch
- if the staff even know they are there!

Some people simply don't think things through.

Cheryl
Old October 8th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

[...]

Oh they think them through. And decide they are cowards who will
sentence an animal to an ugly fate, but will not face another person
to give them up properly.

Jo

Old October 9th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Candace

On Oct 8, 10:59*am, "Jofirey" wrote:
"Cheryl P." wrote in message

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Well, I have to say, that like Sherry's, our humane Society charges a
surrender fee and , if you're dumping an animal because of economical
reasons, that's not going to help you. I believe our surrender fee is
$75 here. I know that it was done so that people would think twice
about getting rid of their animal altogether but it does backfire more
often than not, I'm sure.