[OT] Awesome pressie

Old December 26th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_3_]

Default Awesome pressie

Lesley wrote:
On 26 Dec, 08:35, "Adrian" wrote:

Is your post office like ours, only open for collections 9-12?

Yep and only 9-11 on Saturdays so whenever we get one of those cards
(which we do every time I once complained to the manager that I was in
and no way did the postman ring the bell and the manager memorably
said "We've all done that") I have a 25 minute each way walk to the
post office to collect whatever it is- there's no point in trying to
get through to get it redelivered- the one time I did- the same thing
happened!

And it's not just the posties- recently I had a courier company
delivering a new credit card pull the same stunt so I am not looking
forward to trying to get my new debit card (Have to laugh when I spoke
to the bank on Friday I was told to cut the old card up there and then
but as I didn't have scissors handy I simply bent it so it wouldn't
work in a cash machine (anyway it's stopped) and put it back meaning
to do it later. On Monday I got a letter confirming the card was now
being treated as stolen and if I hadn't had it by 7 working days to
call them and quote the old card number! Good thing I didn't bin it
then!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I hope you get your replacement card before you actually need it. It's
amazing how quickly things we didn't used to have become indespensable.

Old December 26th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 26 Dec, 06:02, Suz wrote:

Joel's wrapping methods resembles my Mom's. I call her the Tape Queen.

When Dave wraps parcels the recipients have been known to complain it
takes about 2 hours to unwrap them! see! There's something to be said
for not getting a surprise parcel from him!

Old December 26th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 26 Dec, 08:58, "Adrian" wrote:

I hope you get your replacement card before you actually need it.

That;s the worry at the moment, I am off work so I can go to my local
branch were they know me and cash cheques but if it doesn't turn up by
next Monday then I can use my credit cards for purchases but there are
some things you just need cash for (like papers, lunches etc) and I
will mug Dave sooner than get a cash advance on my credit cards- the
fine would work out cheaper!

Old December 26th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I was married to a man for 30 years that had been in a car accident and was
in a wheel chair. As her got older and less able to get out, the presents
got less and less. Mostly they consisted of flowers when we did get out and
ordering pizza so I didn't have to cook. Paying a cab driver he knew to
bring a bottle of wine to the house. I always was happy for the little
things, never felt like I had to follow anyone else's rules about "when I
got a gift."
"Lesley" wrote in message
On 26 Dec, 06:07, Suz wrote:

Sorry to dis your sweety Lesly, but I'm a semi shut in with family all
over the US. I do 90% of my gift shopping via the internet.

And since Dave can't get downstairs at the moment fast enough for the
local postie- guess who has to walk a long way to collect things from
the post office!

Old December 26th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

Default [OT] Awesome pressie

"Yowie" wrote in message
Joel is very sneaky.

Joel stronlgy hinted that he got my gift "in the same place where I almost
got your Mum's Jewellry from". He also went on to hint that it was an
Indian shop, that he knew I wanted a sarong or something similar, and that
whatever I was getting, it involved silk. He also sat and thought for a
while before saying "probably not" when I asked him if opening said gift
in front of my parents would be embrassing (like it was last year when he
got me some very nice lingerie).

I awoke yesterday to find a fairly long, flat package, utterly smothered
in sticky tape, under the tree when there wasn't one before. It was
somewhat flexible. It *had* to be for me and it had to be some sort of
clothing.

We bundled all our pressies and a very over excited Yowlet into the car
and made the tradition Seasonal trip to my parents, so my family could all
do the pressie thing and over eat together whilst my neice and Cary could
hype each other up together even more (and they did).

By a matter of elimination, the slightly flexible, laminated in sticky
tape gift was indeed mine, and I opened it with a fair amount of
trepidation. I do like pretty lingerie (Joel has never gone for 'slutty
and tasteless' lingerie) but its not an interest I feel particularly
comfortable sharing with the rest of the family.

But as I slowly worked my way through the stratas of sticky tape that
surrounded it (just how many rolls of sticky tape did he use on this
thing?) it stopped being obviously something frilly and lacey and turned
into:

The full first season of Torchwood!!!!!

I got thoroughly addicted to the series (because its just such a cool show
*and* because of John Barrowman drool ) but the TV station it was
showing on here moved it half way through the series to 2am Wednesday
morning, so I only saw the first 5 episodes.

And there I was not two days earlier *begging* a friend to download it for
me, and Joel not being able to say a word about it!

Joel does have a particular talent for driving me utterly crazy, but he
certainly knows his wife well! And I only got him a CD of the Divinyls...

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Darn,

I was waiting in anticipation of the piccies of Yowie in her new duds. :-)

A very thoughtful present, I'm waiting to watch the Doctor Who Christmas
Special.

Old December 26th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Lesley" wrote in message
On 26 Dec, 11:45, "Bill Stock" wrote:

A very thoughtful present, I'm waiting to watch the Doctor Who Christmas
Special.-

It's good

I hope we get to see it here sometime.

Probably will be in the middle of July or something by the time free to air
manages it, but I'd prefer to see it in July than not at all.

Yowie
(Who wishes Aussie TV did the "Christmas Special" thing, but they usually
just play realy old movies and rubbish because they know most people will be
outside enjoying summer rather than inside watching telly.)

Old December 27th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Suz" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 3:55?pm, "Yowie" wrote:
[...]

I love Torchwood. I wish I cold transfer my DVR recordings to DVD for
you. Do they have DVRs in Oz? You can record a program and then watch
it anytime. Mine even records 2 programs at the same time.

We hove those things here in Australia but we don't own one. I leant long
ago with the VCR that a) I am hopless at programming such things even when
b) I remember to *try*, which isn't often, and c) I rarely if ever watch
what I tape because something else is on by then anyway.

I may not ever watch all of them, but thats not the point. Its just a geek
thing that I am just happy to know that they are if I *want* to watch them,
thats all (I have all of Babylon 5, too, but haven't watched any of the DVDs
except the end one since it went off TV)

Yowie