Yoda. This is Disturbing.

Old November 23rd 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Yoda. This is Disturbing.

On Nov 22, 4:49�pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

They really can sleep soundly sometimes! �Purrs for the old guy. �I know how
much you love him.

Cheryl- Hide quoted text -

Oh, man. I am crazier about that old cat than even I would admit. I've
just
had him so long. He's actually been pretty frisky lately, and I
remarked to DH
that he must be feeling good. (Well, frisky for *him*. His normal
behavior is
sleeping most of the time). He doesn't hide, eats/poops fine. I was
glad to
read other cats do the same thing. I guess I"ll just leave the old man
alone.
We'll get the blood panel done. It's hard to remember, because it's
the only
"annual" vetting he gets. He doesn't get vaccinated anymore.

Sherry
Old November 23rd 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

He would sleep better if you let him be. You would probably sleep
better if you had the blood panel done.

Jo

Old November 23rd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry

Sherry,
Having just dealt with my Stinky's old age issues, I can advise you to get
the bloodwork done, and have him looked at, too. Having things ruled out
and being reassured by your vet that it's not out of the realm of the normal
for a cat his age, is priceless. OTOH, and I don't want to scare you, if
something is wrong, finding out as soon as possible is the way to go for
both of you.
Good luck and purrs for Yoda.

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old November 23rd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 22, 4:10*pm, wrote:

For the record, Smudge once did a sleeping-cat-pretending-to-be-dead BCT
when she was about 6 *months* old. Scared the hell out of me, especially
since it happened in the middle of the night, when I woke up to discover
that she was completely underneath me. I thought I'd smothered her!

Sarsi does it all the time when Dave first encountered it when she was
about 3 months old, he stroked her....nothing....he gave her a gentle
shake...nothing....he gave her a not so gentle shake....she was just
limp. He started panicking convinced he needed to give her the kiss
of life and indeed was just about to do so when she half opened one
eye glared at him as if to say "People ARE trying to sleep here you
know!" then went back to sleep. We're used to it now but when she's
doing the dead cat impersonation she doesn't even respond to ham
unless you hold it right in front of her nose and even then she'll
half open one eye, eat the ham and go back to sleep. Fugazi (RB) was
the same, our theory was a moderate nuclear explosion of some sort
right next to her face might make her open an eye for a second when
she was having one of her prolonged sessions of sleep

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 23rd 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 22, 11:42*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
*Think of how older people sometimes just drop
off to sleep while sitting in a chair, and this may be similar.

Thanks I was 51 last Wednesday and I find myself doing that sometimes!
(Okay usually when I stayed up late last night and had to be up for
work the next morning...or Dave woke me up in the night (I still don't
get too many unbroken nights since he got back from hospital through
it's slowly getting better) I did it yesterday evening through that
was more likely down to a couple of afternoon beers I don't usually
drink of an afternoon but I had some errands to run and I saw Jim the
Gardener so we went for a beer or two (or more).

It was funny when I woke up, I'd only been asleep for half an hour
(When this happens I get a second wind up like the other week where I
dozed off about 10.00- woke up at 10.20, started talking to Chaz who
was staying the night, we watched a DVD and I suddenly realised it was
4.36AM!) but I was sure it was later than it was and I had to do some
washing (still in love with the machine!!) for work so I shoved what
needed doing in...

Only discovered when I hung it up that I hadn't put enough of my own
shirts in for the week!

Old November 23rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_5_] Bridget[_5_] is offline
Banned

"Jofirey" wrote in message
He would sleep better if you let him be. You would probably sleep better
if you had the blood panel done.

This is so true it made me smile. I was always scared Tony was going to die
when he was younger. I knew more about his health than I knew about my own.
I knew he had a heart murmur - a medium serious one. I knew he was right on
the edge of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - below his number, healthy, above
his number required medication, I knew he had allergies to fall pollens and
he couldn't take shots because he would react to them. I knew he would lose
weight at the slightest stress and that he required one single food. He
would just go on a hunger strike if he didn't get it. And so I made sure he
got all the things he needed and I watched him like a hawk for anything and
he didn't die of any of those things.

He surprised me and the vet by having cancer when we thought he just needed
a tooth pulled or a good teeth cleaning. But all those other things that I
found out, made me feel better because I knew what I was dealing with. The
cancer I only knew about for 24 hours before I put him to sleep because he
became so much more uncomfortable after the vet messed with it and I was
told he would probably never eat again and he would get to the point of have
to do sub Q fluids. And he loved to eat and he was hungry and ran to the
food bowl when I filled it and then just sniffed it and couldn't eat it (he
had throat cancer) even though it was canned. I didn't want him to live
hungry - food was one of his favorite pastimes. And appeared to be in pain
and that didn't seem right either. Two hours later, I was at the vets to
help him go to someplace where he wouldn't be in pain anymore.

And don't ask me why I am writing all this really sad stuff here, but I
really needed to get it out I guess. I miss him so much and this thread
reminded me of him and how happy and healthy he was even though it would
appear that he had some serious conditions. And knowing all that, while it
made me sleep a little better and probably cherish him even more because he
was so special, didn't do a thing towards predicting when he REALLY got sick

The knowledge will make you sleep better because you will know exactly what
he needs. if anything. It will allow you to keep him as healthy as possible
as he ages. And if he is sick, it will allow you make sure you cherish the
time you have left with him dearly - not like you don't already, but because
of Tony's susceptibility to UTIs and his heart condition, he always got the
best sleeping spots before the other cats - I would not let them sleep in
his spot next to me and similar things.

I think I have thrown up enough grief here, I will end this post now.

Bridget

SHerry for Yoda Karen Cat anecdotes 2 August 31st 07 07:24 PM
How is Yoda? MaryL Cat anecdotes 4 August 28th 07 03:04 AM
Purrs for Yoda Sherry Cat anecdotes 64 August 22nd 07 10:54 PM
Another birthday for Yoda [email protected] Cat anecdotes 14 August 31st 06 01:16 PM
Yo Yo Yoda Says Thanks Sherry Cat anecdotes 18 August 30th 04 10:22 PM