[OT] Help! Medication question

Old October 17th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] Help! Medication question

Does anyone here take Pepcid for acid reflux? (The chemical name for
the drug is famotidine, in case it is marketed under a different name
outside the US.)

If so, do you know if there is a suggested limit as to how long one
should be taking it? (ie, how many days?) Can it lead to intestinal
problems, specifically, constipation?

I'm merely curious from an academic perspective. Actually, it's
for a friend of mine. Yes, that's it, I have this friend who...

Thanks!
Joyce
Old October 17th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My husband would take one tablet daily for six months then, lay off for two
months when the problem would arise again. However, your friend should
probably ask a physical or than man behind the drug counter, (avoiding
spelling the word) as people may vary. This was under the watch of a
physican but who knows for others. Not much help I know.

Old October 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

wrote in message
Does anyone here take Pepcid for acid reflux? (The chemical name for
the drug is famotidine, in case it is marketed under a different name
outside the US.)

If so, do you know if there is a suggested limit as to how long one
should be taking it? (ie, how many days?) Can it lead to intestinal
problems, specifically, constipation?

I'm merely curious from an academic perspective. Actually, it's
for a friend of mine. Yes, that's it, I have this friend who...

Thanks!
Joyce

I took Ranitidine as a prescription at double the OTC for over a year. I
think the box says something like 4 weeks max without a doctors
prescription. I don't recall being constipated, but I believe this stuff can
cause Cancer in the long term. I found it made me feel worse than the Acid
Reflux so I just take Tums now.

Old October 17th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Bill Stock wrote:

I took Ranitidine as a prescription at double the OTC for over a year. I
think the box says something like 4 weeks max without a doctors
prescription. I don't recall being constipated, but I believe this stuff can
cause Cancer in the long term. I found it made me feel worse than the Acid
Reflux so I just take Tums now.

Cancer? Eek. But ranitidine is different from famotidine, so I don't
know if the risks are the same.

I've been taking it for about 3 weeks, twice a day. I feel like I have
lead in my intestines. And I'm all bloated, even my pants feel tighter.
I guess I should stop taking it.

Maybe I should call an advice nurse. My HMO has those.

Thanks,
Joyce
Old October 17th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My husband had to stop the tums, they burned the lineing of his stomace.
None of that can really be good olong term I wouldn't think.

Old October 17th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:

I took Ranitidine as a prescription at double the OTC for over a year. I
think the box says something like 4 weeks max without a doctors
prescription. I don't recall being constipated, but I believe this stuff
can
cause Cancer in the long term. I found it made me feel worse than the
Acid
Reflux so I just take Tums now.

Cancer? Eek. But ranitidine is different from famotidine, so I don't
know if the risks are the same.

I've been taking it for about 3 weeks, twice a day. I feel like I have
lead in my intestines. And I'm all bloated, even my pants feel tighter.
I guess I should stop taking it.

Maybe I should call an advice nurse. My HMO has those.

Thanks,
Joyce

You need some Thanksgiving pants (kidding). I've also taken Pariet which I
liked better for me. I believe there are newer versions of PPIs that are
even more effective. I found the high dose of Ranitidine (same action as
famotidine) made me light headed and short of breath.

--
Bill, who had to buy BIGGER Thanksgiving pants.

Old October 17th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

I'm guessing this is an acid blocker? I took one for years with an RX
before it went OTC. Finally had stomach surgery to correct the reflux. But
if I hadn't I'd still be taking it, And I was at double the recommended
dose, which I believe is 4x the otc dose.

While I don't remember all the potential side effects, I do remember what we
were trying to avoid. I already had Barrets esophagitus which puts me at a
10x normal rate for esophageal cancer for the rest of my life.

However it is a really bad idea to take anything like this without some
medical supervision.

Jo

Old October 17th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

I'm guessing this is an acid blocker? I took one for years with an RX
before it went OTC. Finally had stomach surgery to correct the reflux. But
if I hadn't I'd still be taking it, And I was at double the recommended
dose, which I believe is 4x the otc dose.

While I don't remember all the potential side effects, I do remember what we
were trying to avoid. I already had Barrets esophagitus which puts me at a
10x normal rate for esophageal cancer for the rest of my life.

However it is a really bad idea to take anything like this without some
medical supervision.

Oh, this is a prescription from my doctor. And I have quite a few refills
on it, too.

My theory is that if it's neutralizing some of the acid in my stomach,
then some of the food I'm eating isn't getting digested as well as it
would if the acid were normal. So more stuff is getting passed along to
the intestines undigested, or perhaps, under-digested. Which means that
there are some unfamiliar things in my intestines, and maybe that's
creating some problems?

After all, the issue isn't that I have too much stomach acid, or it's
too strong or too acidic. The problem is that the acid is going places
where it doesn't belong. So a neutralizer is only a stopgap solution -
it's not solving the real problem. And perhaps it's creating other
problems. I will say, though, that I don't have the discomfort from
reflux while I'm taking it. So obviously, it's working.

Joyce
Old October 17th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Does anyone here take Pepcid for acid reflux? (The chemical name for
the drug is famotidine, in case it is marketed under a different name
outside the US.)

If so, do you know if there is a suggested limit as to how long one
should be taking it? (ie, how many days?) Can it lead to intestinal
problems, specifically, constipation?

I've looked up a few reference books here. They don't suggest
constipation and bloating as a cause for worry - the serious issues
are with hypersensitivity reactions, and nothing you've posted
suggests that might happen to you.

But they suggest two weeks as the limit for OTC use. My guess as
to why is that if you have a problem that doesn't go away after
that time, you ought to be seeing a doctor about it. In a place
with a mediaeval healthcare system like the US that's only an
option for the rich, so I guess you just have to carry on with it.
I haven't read anything that suggests long-term use of the drug is
risky in itself, even at very high doses.

Old October 17th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I used to take so much of it that we bought the "club size " from Sam's,
that was a while back but I think I was cautioned to drink more water...
blessedly after losing over 75 pounds we don't even buy it, HATH, Lee