Newbie questions: Food issues

Old May 7th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Newbie questions: Food issues

"---MIKE---" wrote

I always let the cans sit in warm water for about twenty minutes before
opening them. The dishes are warmed in the microwave. Then I add a
little hot water to the canned food to "loosen" it up a bit. They are
not spoiled - much!

Grin, fill the dishes with hot tap water. Easier and adds the water
automatically if you don't drain it all out ;-)

I do like the idea of the hot water to warm a partial can. Due to a sale
(25 cents a can!) I have some 9-Lives here to try on Daisy. As far as i
know, though it may be a little lower in protien and such, it's not actually
bad for Daisy. They are the standard 6 oz or so cans so will do for 2
feedings.
Silly me but it never occured to me. Probably because I've almost never had
just one cat and when I did, he was a mixed bobcat with tabby so needed the
whole can due to his size.

Daisy is free-fed a quality dry (IAMS just now but was eukanaba last I
think, never a ashy cheapy) but gets a 3oz can a day and sometimes twice.
She just engulfed a can of 'Authority' (for kittens) liver and lamb and is
trying to lick through the bowl. She's not a kitten, but I didnt see any
harm in some being that if the price was right and it was.

I've heard 'wellness' is really good, but I havent seen it here in my area
yet.

Oh! I might mention she gets fed about 3 oz twice a day no matter what, but
many days it's leftover chicken which we mince up a bit, or a bit of pork.
This week its duck. Specifically a little meat and some minced up duck
skin. All meats used for pet food, are fixed salt free.

Old May 7th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Matilda

"Newbie" wrote in message
[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
question.]

Food questions -

By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
bought some. But...

How many times do you feed a cat?

Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

If the price jump in cat food is something that is of concern to you - when
it comes to having children - think long and hard!

Old May 7th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cshenk

"Matilda" wrote

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

If the price jump in cat food is something that is of concern to you -
when it comes to having children - think long and hard!

Grin, I'm with ya! WOW. Kids never were cheap but gosh it's changed!
Meantime I have 4 kids. One is 14 with brown hair and loves DS2 games, one
is 2YO and a 45lb fellow who looks like a tan beagle and barks for food at
6pm on the dot if I'm not in the kitchen, and one is 12 lbs and white and
meows alot for food.

Oh, missed one. He's 55yo and gray and barks or meows for food on a regular
basis ;-)

Carol

Old May 7th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 6 May 2008 22:28:56 -0400, cshenk wrote in
:

"Matilda" wrote

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

If the price jump in cat food is something that is of concern to you -
when it comes to having children - think long and hard!

Grin, I'm with ya! WOW. Kids never were cheap but gosh it's changed!
Meantime I have 4 kids. One is 14 with brown hair and loves DS2 games, one
is 2YO and a 45lb fellow who looks like a tan beagle and barks for food at
6pm on the dot if I'm not in the kitchen, and one is 12 lbs and white and
meows alot for food.

Oh, missed one. He's 55yo and gray and barks or meows for food on a regular
basis ;-)

Carol

Hi, Carol!

Remember me from the FidoNet cooking echo, or as N771C?

Good lord! Is your girl 14 already (and is she still starvilating
occasionally :-))? My, how tempus doth fugit - and some!

Are you still doing the navy thing? Last I heard was when you were doing
a tour of duty in Japan as a Senior CPO.

Reply privately if you wish - my E-Mail address is good.

--
Kindest regards
- Nicolaas Hawkins.
Old May 7th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cshenk

"Nicolaas Hawkins" wrote
cshenk wrote in

Grin, I'm with ya! WOW. Kids never were cheap but gosh it's changed!
Meantime I have 4 kids. One is 14 with brown hair and loves DS2 games,
one
is 2YO and a 45lb fellow who looks like a tan beagle and barks for food
at
6pm on the dot if I'm not in the kitchen, and one is 12 lbs and white and
meows alot for food.

Oh, missed one. He's 55yo and gray and barks or meows for food on a
regular
basis ;-)

Carol

Hi, Carol!

Remember me from the FidoNet cooking echo, or as N771C?

Hey! We miss you there! Still alive and kicking!

Good lord! Is your girl 14 already (and is she still starvilating
occasionally :-))? My, how tempus doth fugit - and some!

Oh yes! She's taller than me too happy grumble.

Are you still doing the navy thing? Last I heard was when you were doing
a tour of duty in Japan as a Senior CPO.

Yup, came back at last in October this past year. On my last year before
retirement now. Now that we are back, I have pets again. 2 from the local
rescue center. 1 Dog who had heartworms (we knew and no one else was going
to adopt him it seems) and a cat who spent 18 months trying to find a home
(we were her first applicant).
xxcarol

Old May 8th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Rene S.

I don't think anyone addressed the OP's question of how often to feed
canned food. Generally, twice a day, about 12 hours apart is best. If
you are an hour or two off, it's not a big deal.
Old May 8th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William Graham

"Rene S." wrote in message
I don't think anyone addressed the OP's question of how often to feed
canned food. Generally, twice a day, about 12 hours apart is best. If
you are an hour or two off, it's not a big deal.

My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and waiting.....And
yes.....It happens about twice a day.....

Old May 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Upscale

"William Graham" wrote in message
My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and waiting.....And
yes.....It happens about twice a day.....

My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food bowl is
*almost* empty.

Old May 9th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Ivor Jones[_2_]

In ,
Upscale typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "William Graham" wrote in message
: My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
: waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
:
: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
: bowl is *almost* empty.

My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in the
house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
times a day that may be.

Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!

Ivor

Old May 9th 08, 10:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones
wrote in :

In ,
Upscale typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "William Graham" wrote in message
: My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
: waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
:
: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
: bowl is *almost* empty.

My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in the
house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
times a day that may be.

Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!

So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.

--
- Nic.