[OT] It Makes Me Sick!

Old September 9th 05, 01:01 AM

jmcquown wrote:
Shiral wrote:
I agree. It's disgusting. If people really want to help, fine. But
it's totally tacky for them to try to get "see how wonderful and
compassionate I am!" points, too. YUCK!!!

Melissa

That was pretty much my point about Oprah taking her show down there. She
could just as easily have stayed at home, let it be known she made a
donation and encouraged other people to help. It's the "look at me!"
self-aggrandizement that bugs the crap out of me.

Jill

Ugh. That's what I thought. I don't know the specifics of what she was
trying to prove, but I'd think the *last* thing La. probably needs is
Oprah and her enterage.

Sherry

Old September 9th 05, 01:30 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article
lgate.org, "Helen
Miles" wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Well I'm a masochist, so I had to watch it. He singled out that family
(and
it looks like one or two others coming up after the commercial
break!!!*),
reunited them with each other, and got his good friend Mattress Mac to
donate a condo and a car. All the while pouring out his touchy /
feely,
"look how generous I am" celebrity BS while hundreds of thousands of
other
victims (and those of us who haven't yet found our loved ones), can
only
look on and wish we were the "chosen" ones.///

More fitting that the w*nker did like John Travolta, and just hire a
plane, fill it with desperately needed supplies and fly it down to the
affected area a.s.a.p.

It says something about John Travolta that he has the self-discipline to
maintain proficiency as pilot-in-command of aircraft including the
Boeing 707. I'd expect him to be focused.
Old September 9th 05, 01:33 AM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article
outpets.com,
"Gabey8" wrote:

[[OK. I'm totally with you on this one. Mostly because Dr. Phill makes
me
gag anyway.]]

Well, I have some issues with Dr. Phil, but they're not really related to
anything I've personally seen from him. I don't watch his program.

My retired mom, on the other hand, does. And I tease her about this trait
of hers, but I feel like every time Dr. Phil talks about a disorder of
some sort, my mom thinks *I* have it. Honest to gosh.

I asked my husband over the weekend, "I know that 'hypochondriac' means
you think YOU have the symptoms of every ailment you hear about. What's
the name of the disorder when you think someone ELSE has the symptoms of
every ailment you hear about?" And I was only half kidding. ;o)

Little mentioned outside medical circles is the dreaded Intern Syndrome,
in which an intern believes he or she is coming down with something in
every service to which they rotate. Some of those afflicted are more
dramatic than others, and, at one hospital, a betting pool was formed
for the first day that the (male) intern didn't come down with something.

One overjoyed staff member discovered that her day in the pool was his
first day on obstetrics.

Later in the day, she was seen walking down the corridor, cursing. "He
came down with morning sickness."
Old September 9th 05, 01:39 AM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:01:56 -0700, sriddles wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
Shiral wrote:
I agree. It's disgusting. If people really want to help, fine. But
it's totally tacky for them to try to get "see how wonderful and
compassionate I am!" points, too. YUCK!!!

Melissa

That was pretty much my point about Oprah taking her show down there.
She could just as easily have stayed at home, let it be known she made a
donation and encouraged other people to help. It's the "look at me!"
self-aggrandizement that bugs the crap out of me.

Jill

Ugh. That's what I thought. I don't know the specifics of what she was
trying to prove, but I'd think the *last* thing La. probably needs is
Oprah and her enterage.

Sherry

She brought about a dozen huge semis loaded with food, diapers, water and
clothing.

Old September 9th 05, 01:44 AM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:33:20 -0400, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

In article
outpets.com, "Gabey8"
wrote:

[...]

I imagine it is easy to do. After all, there are only so many ways to be
sick: pain, fever, sick stomach, can't "go" or "go" too much, fever.......

Old September 9th 05, 02:20 AM
Katy

news

jmcquown wrote:
Shiral wrote:
I agree. It's disgusting. If people really want to help, fine. But
it's totally tacky for them to try to get "see how wonderful and
compassionate I am!" points, too. YUCK!!!

Melissa

That was pretty much my point about Oprah taking her show down there.
She could just as easily have stayed at home, let it be known she made

donation and encouraged other people to help. It's the "look at me!"
self-aggrandizement that bugs the crap out of me.

Jill

Ugh. That's what I thought. I don't know the specifics of what she was
trying to prove, but I'd think the *last* thing La. probably needs is
Oprah and her enterage.

Sherry

She brought about a dozen huge semis loaded with food, diapers, water and
clothing.

Wow!!! That is GREAT!!! Yea O!

Old September 9th 05, 02:25 AM
Enfilade

CatNipped wrote:
The Dr. Phil show is capitalizing on this tragedy. He was on Larry King the
other day and had a clip where he was telling a woman that he might have
found her family. Larry King asked him if he really did find her family and
he said, "You'll have to tune in Thursday to see!" GAG!!!!

For all I'm playing the devil's advocate in another thread, I'm not
going to play it for Dr Phil or his ilk. I don't need to tune in a
talk show to watch melodrama or trash. That's why I have neighbours...

I guess the only good thing Oprah can be said to be doing is sometimes
when a celebrity someone likes does something charitable, it can be a
call to her/his fans to do the same and can really mobilize response
(ie Live 8/Aid, Lance Armstrong's Live Strong, etc.)

--Fil

Old September 9th 05, 02:43 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:34:49 +0000 (UTC), "Helen Miles"
wrote:

More fitting that the w*nker did like John Travolta, and just hire a
plane, fill it with desperately needed supplies and fly it down to the
affected area a.s.a.p.

It's ok to say "******" here, Helen. I doubt you'd offend any of the
international, although you might some of your fellow Brits weg

Still, I was rather impressed with Travolta on that one myself. I
wonder which of his aircraft he picked to carry that ton of supplies
down there.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old September 9th 05, 04:19 AM
Shiral

Okay, I DO give Oprah credit for that. Her donations WILL be needed.
The cleanup will be a horrendous effort.

Melissa

Old September 9th 05, 04:55 AM
Trish

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in
message ...

From: Jeanne Hedge

Still, I was rather impressed with Travolta on that one myself. I
wonder which of his aircraft he picked to carry that ton of supplies
down there.

I heard it was 5 tons. I don't think he could have packed
that into his Gulfstream so I'd guess he brought it in on
his 707.
One story that the news seems disinterested in covering
is the number of non-celebrity pilots that are flying in
doctors, EMTs, and medical supplies.....at their own expense.
Some of these folks were in the air before FEMA had even
gotten their thumbs out of their (insert your orifice of choice).
I just had to make sure that some of these unsung heros got
a little of the recognition they deserve. They're too busy getting
the job done to stop for a photo-op.

Oh, and Michael Jackson has donated a SONG.

Now, now don't be harsh, he has a team of surgeons getting him all
bulked and prepped before he presents himself!