Heated cat bed recommendations?

Old April 14th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default Heated cat bed recommendations?

We think that Cleo would benefit from having a heated bed to help keep her
aging bones warm. Looking at drsfosterandsmith.com I see that they have
quite a selection of heated beds.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to heated cat beds to stay away
from, or any they have been pleased with?

Dan

Old April 14th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 14, 1:00*pm, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
We think that Cleo would benefit from having a heated bed to help keep her
aging bones warm. Looking at drsfosterandsmith.com I see that they have
quite a selection of heated beds.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to heated cat beds to stay away
from, or any they have been pleased with?

Dan

Dan, I think a heated bed is an excellent idea. I can't really
recommend one, but Yoda has a "heated pad" that's covered in fleece.
He is on it a lot in the winter, and I know it feels good to his old
bones.
I originally bought it to keep out in the garage, we had some stray
out there one winter, can't remember which. It has a steel-wrapped
cord, which I thought was a good safety feature. The max temp is, I
believe, 102 degrees. It's supposed to be very safe.

Sherry
Old April 14th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Caroline S.

On Apr 14, 2:00*pm, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
We think that Cleo would benefit from having a heated bed to help keep her
aging bones warm. Looking at drsfosterandsmith.com I see that they have
quite a selection of heated beds.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to heated cat beds to stay away
from, or any they have been pleased with?

Dan

Dan,
We have an extra one we're not using anymore. Care to email me off
list and we can arrange sending it? We have three but only need two.
It looks like this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pcatid=177 38
but ours is tan not green.

-Caroline S.

Old April 14th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Dan,
We have an extra one we're not using anymore. Care to email me off
list and we can arrange sending it? We have three but only need two.
It looks like this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pcatid=177 38
but ours is tan not green.

-Caroline S.

Wow! Gladly. E-mailing right now. Thank you so much!

Dan
Old April 14th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

I used a regular heating pad for my 20 + year old kitty a few years
back. I left it on low and covered it with an ALL COTTON towel - and
that is important!!! Don't use polyester on top of whatever heating
devise you decide on. The heat can go through the fabric and burn the
cat's skin. My vet warned me of this.
Old April 14th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 14, 4:49*pm, Sharon wrote:
I used a regular heating pad for my 20 + year old kitty a few years
back. *I left it on low and covered it with an ALL COTTON towel - and
that is important!!! *Don't use polyester on top of whatever heating
devise you decide on. *The heat can go through the fabric and burn the
cat's skin. *My vet warned me of this.

I think you need to use extreme caution with regular heating pads.
You'd have to be absolutely certain the cat won't, or can't chew the
cord, or claw into the wires inside
the pad.

Sherry
Old April 14th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Sherry wrote:
On Apr 14, 4:49 pm, Sharon wrote:
I used a regular heating pad for my 20 + year old kitty a few years
back. I left it on low and covered it with an ALL COTTON towel - and
that is important!!! Don't use polyester on top of whatever heating
devise you decide on. The heat can go through the fabric and burn the
cat's skin. My vet warned me of this.

I think you need to use extreme caution with regular heating pads.
You'd have to be absolutely certain the cat won't, or can't chew the
cord, or claw into the wires inside
the pad.

Sherry

Heck, you have to be extremely careful with them for humans! The one I have
(only a couple of years old) gets uber hot even on LOW. I can't use it
comfortably on my shoulder for more than 10 minutes even when wearing a
heavy t-shirt.

I worked with a woman who had one of these:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3487

She had an elderly mostly outdoor kitty. She tried getting her to come
inside on cold nights but the cat just didn't want to, so she tucked this
inside an old cut-off sleeping bag.

Jill

Old April 15th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 14, 5:27*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Sherry wrote:
On Apr 14, 4:49 pm, Sharon wrote:
[...]

I've never seen one of those. That would be ideal for orphan kittens.

Sherry