Pill - It's What's For Dinner

Old December 19th 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tischler

Default Pill - It's What's For Dinner

Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.

Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
less-than-ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old December 19th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Tischler exclaimed (19-Dec-06 6:52 PM):
Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.

Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
less-than-ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Saw a post here recently suggestiong pulverizing and mixing in the water
from a tuna can. You'd have to check with the vet though, to see
whether this particular pill becomes ineffective in water...

I've noticed that if the amount is small, I can successfully pulverize a
pill and mix it with her *dry* food (rarely do this though, only when
she's in one of her "wet food sux" moods). There is some loss in doing
this, but for her glucosamine, I'd say it's less than 10%.

jmc
Old December 19th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Tischler wrote:
Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.

Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
less-than-ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried Pill Pockets? They are a soft "treat" pocket in which
you insert the pill and squeeze shut. they work great for some cats,
and might be worth a try in your case. Most pet stores carry them or
they have a web site at www.pillpockets.com

Old December 20th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tischler

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:09:42 +0930, jmc
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I hadn't thought of mixing it with tuna water. I'll give it
a shot.

they have a web site at www.pillpockets.com

That's what I've been using, actually. Didn't know what they were
called. Unfortunately (?), my cat chews her food carefully and, when
she finds the pill inside, the whole thing is left on the ground. I'll
check with the vet about making a solution with tuna water or chicken
juice or something, although I'm pretty sure he said this antibiotic
couldn't be delivered that way, anyway. Thanks for the link, though.
The Pill Pockets might come in handy again when I've got smaller
pills.
Old December 20th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phoenix

Tischler wrote:
Any suggestions for making pills palatable? ...
Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

One word. Velveeta.

We successfully gave my (now RB at 22) elderly cat a daily pill by
wrapping it in a bit of velveeta. We currently are giving another cat 2
pills daily...and she begs for them. (Sometimes we just use bits of
American cheese slices.)

Works for d*gs too.

Of course, all of our cats grew up only getting cheese when it had a
"crunchy center".

Deborah
mostly lurking

My Cat Has A Problem Bible Bob Cat health & behaviour 23 April 21st 05 07:07 PM
Taking pills Ken Anderson Cat health & behaviour 4 March 20th 05 07:41 PM
Tuffy's worm pill - BW Cinbad Cat anecdotes 30 September 24th 04 04:16 PM
Cat + Pill Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 2 February 2nd 04 12:22 AM
How to Pill a Cat Angela Ryan Cat anecdotes 8 August 31st 03 04:46 PM