doubt about recently born kittens

Old April 6th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default doubt about recently born kittens

I have a doubt. Recently I went down to our summer apartment in the
south of Spain and discovered that a cat had given birth to four
kittens on the roof terrace. Not being very knowledgeable about the
world of cats, I asked one of my neighbours about whether they were
ok. He informed me that they would be fine as long as the mother was
looking after them. The mother came to feed them every day and they
never cried for food. Now here is my doubt - the roof terrace is a
hard place to get down from. It is walled in and these walls are 4/5
feet high. We have returned to the north of spain leaving them alone
down there. I presume that the mother will continue to look after them
and they will grow to be bigger but I was wondering at what age or
size they will be able to get down off the roof. In other words will
they be able to jump the walls or will the mother be able to take them
in her mouth and lift them over.
Old April 6th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Apr 6, 10:34 am, wrote:
[...]

As long as she is able to get up and down she will be able to carry
her kittens, one at a time, down from the roof. In effect, she is
using the difficulty of getting up to the kittens as an extra layer of
protection from predators. While the feral cats of the world are bad
for the wild birds and small animals, I am rooting for her.

--
Will in New Haven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMWgWOnObE
Old April 6th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 6, 8:22*am, Will in New Haven
wrote:

As long as she is able to get up and down she will be able to carry
her kittens, one at a time, down from the roof. In effect, she is
using the difficulty of getting up to the kittens as an extra layer of
protection from predators. While the feral cats of the world are bad
for the wild birds and small animals, I am rooting for her.

Me too! Smart mamma cat

4/5 feet high walls are no problem to a cat- my Dunzi who is a tiny
little thing weighing about 5 pounds in total can jump from the floor
to the top of the living rooom door which is about 6 feet and she
doesn't even have a run up at it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 6th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote:

As long as she is able to get up and down she will be able to carry
her kittens, one at a time, down from the roof. In effect, she is
using the difficulty of getting up to the kittens as an extra layer of
protection from predators. While the feral cats of the world are bad
for the wild birds and small animals, I am rooting for her.

Me too! Smart mamma cat

4/5 feet high walls are no problem to a cat- my Dunzi who is a tiny
little thing weighing about 5 pounds in total can jump from the floor
to the top of the living rooom door which is about 6 feet and she
doesn't even have a run up at it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Same here. Holly is 12 years old (will be 13 in June), but she easily and
gracefully leaps to the mantle or to the top of a 6-ft. bookcase.

MaryL

Old April 6th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

wrote:

As long as she is able to get up and down she will be able to carry
her kittens, one at a time, down from the roof. In effect, she is
using the difficulty of getting up to the kittens as an extra layer of
protection from predators. While the feral cats of the world are bad
for the wild birds and small animals, I am rooting for her.

Me too! Smart mamma cat

4/5 feet high walls are no problem to a cat- my Dunzi who is a tiny
little thing weighing about 5 pounds in total can jump from the floor
to the top of the living rooom door which is about 6 feet and she
doesn't even have a run up at it

Feather (RB) didn't seem to need to cross the intervening space to get
to the top of the refrigerator. He just vanished from the floor and
reappeared on top. He never even practiced this. The first time Bruce
brought his Airedale over, Feather just DID it. After that, he would
go up there for various reaons but mostly, I think, because he
_could_

--
Will in New Haven

Old April 6th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
[...]

If she can get in and out of there, odds are pretty good she can get them
out of there when the time comes. Cats like to keep their kittens in a
pretty inaccessible place and will usually move them out to learn to hunt
when they are old enough.

Jo

Old April 7th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry

wrote:
I have a doubt.

Plonk.
Old April 7th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Well, I don't. There is an old fertilizer mixer across the street from me.
It is mainly pieces of steel with holes every inch or so. A cat had 9
kittens up there, fed them and finally brought them down. Other cats tried
to climb it but couldn't
"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
I have a doubt.

Plonk.

Old April 7th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

LOL,
don't forget to fluuuuush
hug