Strange case

Old February 23rd 04, 06:25 PM
Vet in NZ

It happens sometimes. We call it letting out the bad gas!

"Karen" wrote in message
I have a co worker in a rural area with a ten y.o., neutered male cat.

This
area is extremely rural mind you with just a country vet. The cat, around
Christmas time, was throwing up so badly that he was really, really in

poor
shape. The vet said he though maybe there was a mass. He suggested they

open
up the cat to see. My coworker actually helped the vet (small town, you

know
how it is "Sure, pull up a chair") and the opened the cat and he says they
pulled everything out taking a look see. Could not find a single thing
wrong. However, the cat did stop breathing once, they massaged him and he
came back. They put everything back in and sewed the cat up. The coworker
kept kitty in all that next month. Cat healed up and is now going strong
with no throw up problems. Vet speculates maybe there was a kink in the
intestines? Is this even feasible? like colic? Anyhoo, strange story I had
to share.

Karen

Old February 25th 04, 06:13 PM
Sherry

My coworker actually helped the vet (small town, you know
how it is "Sure, pull up a chair") a

Oh, Lordy, do I ever know. I went in to the vet's office to pick up an HS dog,
nobody was in the front so I yelled "Yoo hoo" and he yells, "Come on back". The
tech was puttering around the next room tending to other dogs. I start telling
him why I'm there, and he goes, "Here, hold his, would you?" ... it was a clamp
holding the dog's (I assume) uterus & stuff. Urk. My ears started ringing but
I was too prideful to tell him. Didn't inspire much confidence in the vet. The
vet I use, I went in their OR on Open House for their new clinic. There were
computer screens, all kinds of monitors around the table, but this country vet
had really notthing like that. . I guess you get what you pay for. (I have to
add, though, this guy has spayed practically all our HS animals and none ever
had complications. Could be luck though!)
Sherry

Old February 25th 04, 06:37 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:58:16 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

[...]

Yes! Torsion can and does happen in people and animals. It happened
to me in 1966 and it is extremely painful. The doctor straightened
out the kink . After that things should be fine unless adhesions
cause a problem in the future. Purrs for kitty that things will be
fine from now on.

Old February 25th 04, 09:16 PM
CPT \(former!\) Deborah

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

As one vet I know says, sometimes you just need to "let all the bad humors
out" :-)!!! It's actually not all that unusual to do an exploratory surgery
for something like vomiting, find nothing, but then have the animal do
better afterwards. Not that common, but not that unusual (if that makes
sense). I couldn't begin to tell you how it happens, or why, but if the end
result is a healthy animal, then who am I to question it? I guess it's like
that therapeutic trailer ride for colicking horses -- you just never know.

Deborah, DVM

Old February 25th 04, 09:36 PM
Karen

"CPT (former!) Deborah" wrote in message

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Begins to make me wonder if my cat that mysteriously vomits all the time and
has gas with no traceable reason shouldn't be openned up! Actually, my
coworker wouldn't have done it, but I guess the cat was really in a bad way.
No, I wouldn't do that, but this is quite interesting.

Karen