{{ HAIRBALLS }}

Old May 10th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default {{ HAIRBALLS }} MANY years ago

"Gloria" wrote in message
A vet told my parents to give the cat a little "mineral oil" once a week
(I don't remember how much, a tsp or 1/2 tsp?)......anyway he said if
you do that the cat will never have hairballs again......we did that,
and my persian lived 22 years. The first vet who saw him.....told us
that he had hairballs so bad, that he should be "put to sleep", I was
about 6 yrs old then, and started to cry, so my dad took him to this
other vet, who saved his life, with the mineral oil. Today most vets
won't recommend using mineral oil????? What do you think of it? By the
way the vet that wanted to put my cat "to sleep", the cat out-lived that
vet by about 20 yrs. :-)

Mineral oil should not be used on cats. It can actually be effective, but
it is also possible for fumes to cause lung damage or even pneumonia.

MaryL

Old May 11th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default {{ HAIRBALLS }}

On 08 May 2009 15:24:04 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas)
wrote:

In article ,
Gloria wrote:
Do your cats have many? Do you feed them special hairball med or use
some cat food that is suppose to help? The hairball meds......I've tried
SEVERAL different ones, and none of my cats liked it and refused to lick
it off the tube like they say they do.

Bubba the Maine Coon (RIP) liked Petromalt. Of course, he liked pretty
much anything that would fit in his mouth. Rascal the Maine Coon doesn't
care for it, but she likes Whiskas Temptations and gets a few a day and shows
no hint of hairball issues. She doesn't seem to shed as much as he, though.

Those Temptations are evil. Espy barely eats dinner and runs over to
the treat station (my bed). I make him go back and finish his supper.
Nipsy is also a big fan. Marlo likes them but not enough to skip
supper.

As for hairballs, none of my cats really have them too much. They do
like to munch grass though and then will sometimes cough one up.
Someone once told me that they eat grass so that they will bring up
hairballs. Seems likely.

If your cats don't go outside (mine are pretty safely fenced into my
yard) then I suggest you get some cat grass for inside. It does seem
to keep them regular.
Old May 11th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
dgk wrote:
On 08 May 2009 15:24:04 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas)
wrote:

In article ,
Gloria wrote:
Do your cats have many? Do you feed them special hairball med or use
some cat food that is suppose to help? The hairball meds......I've tried
SEVERAL different ones, and none of my cats liked it and refused to lick
it off the tube like they say they do.

Bubba the Maine Coon (RIP) liked Petromalt. Of course, he liked pretty
much anything that would fit in his mouth. Rascal the Maine Coon doesn't
care for it, but she likes Whiskas Temptations and gets a few a day and shows
no hint of hairball issues. She doesn't seem to shed as much as he, though.

Those Temptations are evil. Espy barely eats dinner and runs over to
the treat station (my bed). I make him go back and finish his supper.
Nipsy is also a big fan. Marlo likes them but not enough to skip
supper.

I'm sure Rascal would like nothing better than a diet of Hairball Temptations
with Fancy Feast for dessert, but it's not gonna happen...

If I rattle the bag, it'll draw her from the deepest snooze in
the farthest corner of the house.

As for hairballs, none of my cats really have them too much. They do
like to munch grass though and then will sometimes cough one up.
Someone once told me that they eat grass so that they will bring up
hairballs. Seems likely.

If your cats don't go outside (mine are pretty safely fenced into my
yard) then I suggest you get some cat grass for inside. It does seem
to keep them regular.

It's *really* easy to grow a few containers of cat grass. The seeds
are cheap too. If someone with *my* brown thumb can do it... Her Majesty
seems to like it too...

now it's hairballs........ Mischief Cat anecdotes 10 June 28th 06 02:08 AM
Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat anecdotes 1 July 28th 05 01:15 AM
Hairballs tEX eINSTEIN Cat community 0 July 28th 05 12:25 AM
Help for hairballs FatBobRoundPants Cat health & behaviour 3 June 29th 05 10:59 PM
hairballs Melanie's Phony Email Address for NGs Cat health & behaviour 10 October 18th 04 02:09 AM