Rubber mat to attach to 2x4s?

Old March 2nd 15, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default Rubber mat to attach to 2x4s?

I'm convinced that there is a better material than carpet for attaching
to 2x4s for climbing. For example, I have a ribbed rubber doormat that
looks close if it were cut lengthwise and hot melt glued to the 2x4.
Something longer would be better. Some ribbed rubber mat, maybe
something used for exercise equipment area, or whatever. It doesn't have
to be cushy when it's used for climbing. It just has to provide traction
and hold up to the abuse of their claws without fraying and making a mess.

Thanks.
Old March 2nd 15, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M[_3_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
I'm convinced that there is a better material than carpet for attaching
to 2x4s for climbing. For example, I have a ribbed rubber doormat that
looks close if it were cut lengthwise and hot melt glued to the 2x4.
Something longer would be better. Some ribbed rubber mat, maybe
something used for exercise equipment area, or whatever. It doesn't have
to be cushy when it's used for climbing. It just has to provide traction
and hold up to the abuse of their claws without fraying and making a
mess.

Thanks.

I wonder how you would train/convince the cat/cats not to use these as a
claw sharpener as well?
I suspect that the rubber would soon be shredded/frayed.
Ofcourse if you wrapped the 2x4s with sisal cord, or even clothesline rope,
those might work and fill both needs.

HTH

Sylvia

Old March 2nd 15, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

"Sylvia M" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote

I'm convinced that there is a better material than carpet for
attaching to 2x4s for climbing. For example, I have a ribbed rubber
doormat that looks close if it were cut lengthwise and hot melt glued
to the 2x4. Something longer would be better. Some ribbed rubber mat,
maybe something used for exercise equipment area, or whatever. It
doesn't have to be cushy when it's used for climbing. It just has to
provide traction and hold up to the abuse of their claws without
fraying and making a mess.

I wonder how you would train/convince the cat/cats not to use these as
a claw sharpener as well? I suspect that the rubber would soon be
shredded/frayed. Ofcourse if you wrapped the 2x4s with sisal cord, or
even clothesline rope, those might work and fill both needs.

They will more readily and easily shred cord or rope. And it's more
difficult to clean. Some rubbers are very durable. There are a jillion
different types of plastics and rubbers nowadays. Some plastics (like
UHMW) wear longer than steel. The days of something being cheap because
it's made out of plastic are long gone.
Old March 2nd 15, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M[_3_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Sylvia M" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote

[...]

Hmm, do let us know what you used and how it works

Old March 14th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Bought some recycled car tire rubber 1/4" mat. Obviously car tire rubber
is perpetually reengineered to withstand physical abuse. But it also
depends on how well they glue/melt the shreds together.

It certainly is easy cutting and hot melt gluing the strip of rubber to
a 1x4. I put the newcomer on it and it appeared to grip better than on
the prior climbing material. I doubt this is the best rubber for the
task, there are a jillion other rubbers that are engineered for a wide
variety of applications. Time will tell. Might take weeks before they
even use it. But it's on a ramp to their Skyway that is normally
frequently used.

After explaining what I need, a rubber that will grip but will not be
shredded by cats' claws, the rubber company quickly mailed samples to
me, hopefully at least two different types and not including the one I
bought.

The objective, besides being functional, is that it be easy to apply and
be easy to keep clean. Gripping better than the usual climbing materials
would be a plus.

Old March 20th 15, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

So far, so so. Obviously it works. The newcomer frequently uses it. The
others mostly don't. But I don't know if that's because they don't want to
associate with the newcomer, or what. No sign yet of attempting to shred
it the way they typically do start pulling on it with their claws. Time
will tell.

Old April 15th 15, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Been using one 8' 1x4 covered with recycled car tire rubber for a month.
It's very good for climbing. Not as good for descending but that's not
as important anyway. It's not as much fun as something they can stick
their claws deep into, but it's not shedding either. They have not
started to claw it. A softer but still very durable rubber would be
worth a try.

Just made another 8' 1x4. Simple, just cut the rubber and attach it with
hot melt glue. Leaving at least 1/2 inch hanging over the sides appears
to be useful. I put a glob of glue every 6 inches.

I think they prefer a messy carpeted board, but all of my cats are using
the neat and clean rubber covered board now.

Old August 12th 15, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

After lots more use, currently there are two 8 foot 1x4s covered with
1/4 inch recycled car tire rubber ramping up to their Skyway.

The cats have been clawing at them but there are no shreds/debris
falling off of the ramps. The experiment was a success. Not too
expensive, easy to assemble, and clean. That's what I was looking for.
And there is probably even better plastic/rubber material for the
purpose.