nail caps

Old December 1st 05, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default nail caps

what do you think of nail caps to prevent a lot of furniture
scratching? It sounds like a lot of work - gluing a cap on each claw

Ken

Old December 2nd 05, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'll let you know after this weekend, since I am about to apply a set
to a 7 week old that is ripping up my arms when we play. (I have very
thin skin due to massive antibiotic usage in the past), however I've
been holding off since I'm sure I'm going to look like I wrestled a
thorn bush when I'm finished doin Lucifer's nails. Much bandages and
betadine will be on hand.
Di

Old December 2nd 05, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

ken wrote:

what do you think of nail caps to prevent a lot of furniture
scratching? It sounds like a lot of work - gluing a cap on each claw

Ken

Nail caps eventually fall off, some sooner rather than later. Not only
that, but the cat may not adapt to them and between application time and
the time they fall off you may have one upset kitty on your hands.

Better to have trained them what is and isn't appropriate scratching and
provide plenty of areas where scratching is acceptable -and- keep their
claws trimmed to minimize the damage.
Old December 7th 05, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
what do you think of nail caps to prevent a lot of furniture
scratching? It sounds like a lot of work - gluing a cap on each claw

Ken

Many groomers will apply them for you. They should stay on until the cat
sheds the nail sheath.

If you don't want to do that, buy a nice big cat tree or heavy scratching
post that is large enough for the cat to stretch on and heavy enough the cat
can't knock it over. If the post isn't secure the cat won't use it. Many
cats like the ones that are wrapped with the sisal rope. Other cats prefer
to scratch on horizontal surfaces. In that case a inexpensive cardboard
scratcher (sold in most pet stores and probably Walmart) will do. Then spray
the tree/post/scratcher with catnip. Feed kitty treats on the post/tree. Do
everything to give kitty good associations with it. Praise the cat when
he/she uses it. Place the post/tree/scratcher near the place the cat has
been scratching. You can gradually move it to another location after kitty
is using it reliably but don't remove it from that room.

Apply double side sticky tape (available in pet stores - easily removable
leaving no residue when you're done) to the furniture that the cat was
interested in.