Mine cave in in Utah

Old August 18th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Default Mine cave in in Utah

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...

Slept outside in 40 below and no tent. Military survival = good
times!

I've been through the Ontario Blackout and Hurricane Juan and while
everyone else was freaking about no power I'm here like... "There's
still a ROOF, come on now."

The one thing I'm not good at is catching food. I need my cans/bags/
pouches of food & there's usually a bag of doritos and case of pop in
the back of the emergency van (that was my job, driving the emergency
van, and the price of my presence was a pillow and some junk food. If
I have that, the snow-shelters aren't a problem.)

--Fil

LOL In the back of each vehicle I have a disaster bag it has food and
water and supplies enough for 5 days just in case

Each car has something like this in it
http://www.areyouprepared.com/urbanroadwarrior.html

I go the the camping store and get MRE's they have some good versions. The
disaster room has enough food, water and supplies to last 5 years.

Old August 18th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

[...]

How did it get from the mine cave in to this?? Or isn't the cave-in
worth it's own postings??

How about changing subject line so know what it is about??

Old August 18th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 17, 7:13 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 17, 1:07 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Matthew wrote:
"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news

If anyone has some spare purrs, more are needed for the miners in Utah.
There has been another cave in at the Huntington mine and apparently
several of the rescuers were injured. There is also a rumor of one
death.

Does anyone think the original victims are still alive?
Miners should get "danger money" like anyone else in a
hazardous line of work, but do they? Since the "labor
movement" has been emasculated by the joint efforts of big
business and our government, are even reasonable safety
measures required?

I watched a program once about the coal mines in W. Virginia,
Kentucky, etc. It was
considered a highly-paid job, compared to other jobs in the area. The
really unfortunate
thing is, a lot of the men knew how dangerous it was, in so many
ways...besides
the possibility of injury, many of their fathers had worked in the
mines & suffered
lung disease from it. But for many, in that area, it was the only way
they could earn a decent
salary for their families. Really a sad Catch-22.

Sherry

How is a nineteen or twenty year old young man supposed to make decisions
about a life in the mine? Stay home, where your family has always lived,
where your wife's family has always lived and make decent money. Have
health insurance when your babies are born, etc. Or take a job making half
the money if you can find one and have every other person you know look at
you like you aren't really a man and not doing right by your family. Or
move away with nothing but hopefully a highschool education, to try to find
something in a totally unfamiliar place.

Sorry, but my family came from the mines. My great grandfather died in one.
They really don't have a choice.

Jo-

That was absolutely the point of the program. Sorry if I didn't
articulate it well. They
interviewed some of these younger men, and those are the exact things
they said.
They were making a good living for their families. That was what kept
them there. It
wasn't like they could quit, and go get a job across town. There were
no other
jobs.
We see it to a lesser extent here, being an oil and gas state, with
roughnecking. It's
far safer than mining, but still plenty dangerous. People here either
commute 40
miles+ to work, or work in the oilfields.
This is a lovely, peaceful place to live, people are friendly and cost
of living is low. But
I've often heard it said, "It's a beautiful place to starve to death."
Because there is
no industry here in rural OK.

Sherry

Old August 18th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 17, 5:04 pm, "Matthew" wrote:

I miss the quiet days. I have to ask this question of you folks what would
you do with out the little things in life; electricity, running water, TV,
internet. How many of us would live country style and make it.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, we would make it, no doubt. I know how to do all the necessary
things. I'd have
to adjust to preserving food with a wood cookstove, but that's not
rocket science, I'm
sure I could learn. That doesn't mean I'd like it!
Lehman's puts out a non-electric catalogue. There are actually lots of
people who
prefer not to have electricity. It's fun to look at, I'm sure they
have a website too.

I think what would bother me most of all is being isolated away from
any news or
communication with people with no internet, TV or radio. Or, for this
scenario,
were we allowed to have batteries?? ;-)

Sherry

Old August 18th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

What do you need for one of those crystal radios kids used to make?

Jo

Old August 18th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

wrote:
Matthew wrote:
"mlbriggs" wrote in message
[...]

And now we have a news flash of a small (3.4) earthquake in Minersville
which is about 150 miles south of the disaster mine site. MLB

Old August 18th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

What do you need for one of those crystal radios kids used to make?

You can also get a wind-up radio. You have to turn a crank on it a
bunch of times, and that generates X amount of energy for Y amount of
minutes, which powers the radio. Then you have to turn the crank again.

I have a wind-up flashlight, which is good in case of power outage,
combined with poor planning on my part, resulting in no batteries.

Joyce
Old August 21st 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

mlbriggs wrote:

If anyone has some spare purrs, more are needed for the miners in Utah.
There has been another cave in at the Huntington mine and apparently
several of the rescuers were injured. There is also a rumor of one death.

Lots and lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek