What do I need to know about pet sitters?

Old May 15th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Default What do I need to know about pet sitters?

For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.

I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
trump my discomfort.

Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
through my stuff while they are here?

Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
boarding!

jmc
Old May 16th 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds

In article , jmc
wrote:

[...]

In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the odds a whole
lot...and can be accessed by the internet
Old May 16th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

I know how you feel--since we've hired several good (and a couple of
bad) sitters.

Ask for references and then call them! I've done this, and most people
are willing to give you an honest opinion of the sitter.

Ask to make sure they are bonded and insured.

Set up a meet-and-greet at your house. Most sitters are willing to do
this for free, but even if they aren't, IMO it's worth a small fee.
Have a list of questions ready to ask (if you Google this, you can
find sample questions too).

See how Meep interacts with the sitter. Cats are good judges of
character.

Ask what they would do if a problem should arise. See how familiar
they are with the local vets offices and their locations.

Most sitters are willing to turn off and on lights, get mail and
newspapers, water plants, etc., to make the house look lived in. Ask
about this.

One big question I've had is medication (we have cats on medications).
One sitter we had for a year or two apparently could not medicate our
one cat, so she would apparently just leave the pill in his food bowl!
It was never in the bowl when we got home, so we guess one of the
other cats ate it! (She finally admitted she had problems medicating
him, and we never hired her again!)

Ask what their procedure is for medications, and then have him/her
medicate your pet in front of you. Also ask, if there is a problem
with medicating, what is their back up plan.

Hope this helps a little.

Rene
Old May 16th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article , jmc
wrote:

[...]

Great idea!

Also, when you call a pet sitting service, ask for several references,
preferably from people who have used their service more than once.

I would also ask that the SAME person come every day, and that you get a
chance to meet the person, and ask them about their experience with
cats.

If they don't show any enthusiasm for cats, if they don't have any cats
of their own, pass on that person.

This makes me glad I never, ever travel.

Good luck.

Old May 16th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, at dot Gandalf exclaimed (5/16/2011 5:37 PM):
On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

[...]

Nanny cam on it's way...

I got the references first I asked for recommendations of pet
sitters from coworkers, since there's a plethora hereabouts. Helped
narrow it down to less than a half dozen. Some research and it's down
to two that get "interviews" this week. Both will be with, or include,
the person who'd actually care for Meep.

One used to be a veterinary nurse and a vet tech, I'm leaning towards
her due to her stated experience with "special needs" and older cats.
She handles visits to cats like mine herself. This one is also a
cats-only service - the other one seems to be more typical of the area,
mainly dogs but also does cats and other animals.

Isn't cheap though - will cost me around $45 per day (two visits plus
meds). That's the going rate based on my research, which is about twice
what the boarding place charged and about $10 more per day than the vet
did... but Meep should be happier, plus I also get my plants watered and
my house watched, so provided they don't rob me blind (me? paranoid?),
I'll consider that worth the added cost. Truly, I have no choice. The
vet bills from her stressing in the kennel would end up overtopping the
cost of just getting a pet sitter, anyway.

I have a whole list of questions to ask, courtesy of the Humane Society
website.

Appreciate the responses. Would welcome your personal experiences with
pet sitters as well!

jmc
Old May 17th 11, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts

Gandalf ingold1234 (at) yahoo (dot) com (Gandalf) wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article , jmc
wrote:

[...]

i like to get my initial referrals from my vet, who usually have their own
vet techs do pet sitting on the side. they would know how or have access to
medical expertise, and you can give them a blanket statement to have your
pet treated if need be. you do need to follow up on their references though,
like others have said.

Old May 17th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts

jmc wrote:
Isn't cheap though - will cost me around $45 per day (two visits plus
meds). That's the going rate based on my research, which is about
twice what the boarding place charged and about $10 more per day than
the vet did... but Meep should be happier, plus I also get my plants
watered and my house watched, so provided they don't rob me blind
(me? paranoid?), I'll consider that worth the added cost. Truly, I
have no choice. The vet bills from her stressing in the kennel would
end up overtopping the cost of just getting a pet sitter, anyway.

what area of the world are you in?

my pet sitter comes in 1/day and spends an hour or so. she
feeds/waters/tcleans letter boxes/akes care of 7 cats (pill medicating 1),
checks and installs http://softpaws.com on them all, waters the many plants
(20-30), feeds and adds water to 2 sal****er fish tanks, takes in
packages/mail, puts the garbage cans out at the curb and brings them in, and
does general checkups around the interior and exterior of the house. she
then keeps a journal of what she did/found/who she played with/how each of
the cats deals with her/etc. on our long trips she'll either email us, or
skype us from the house for status reports.

i've used her for up to 4 weeks at a time.

she charges $15/visit.

regards,
charlie

Old May 17th 11, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, chaniarts exclaimed (5/16/2011 7:09 PM):
jmc wrote:
[...]

Near Washington, DC. Things are outrageously expensive here in general,
due to too many rich people and congresscritters living hereabouts.

The $45 gets two visits per day, plus medication, pick up of newspapers,
watering of plants, and some scritches if she'll allow it. Probably
just sitting in my Lazyboy providing a quiet presence for a few minutes,
which though Meep wouldn't admit it under torture, she would probably
appreciate

I think both probably do daily email reports, and can do mail but I'll
put a hold on it, daily checkup around the house would be built in
'cause they'll have to find her first

jmc
Old May 17th 11, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/15/2011 6:32 PM, jmc wrote:
[...]

I asked my community via a Yahoo group for recommendations. Since the
main person recommended didn't usually participate in any way online I
called her to meet her. She brought her backup with her to my house.

My first time using them I got a phone call on the first day to let me
know they started service. I got another couple of calls and I was
satisfied.

When I got home I had a stack of notes written each day of my cats'
behavior, eating habits and any issues. The litter boxes were immaculate.

Just ask for recommendations. I completely trust these ladies now.
They knew how to use my security system and I trust them with a key fob.

Even my shy cats came out to visit with both of them. Just need to let
them know about favorite toys. My sitters will stay and play for a bit.
Old May 17th 11, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/16/2011 9:22 PM, jmc wrote:

Near Washington, DC. Things are outrageously expensive here in general,
due to too many rich people and congresscritters living hereabouts.

How near DC? I'm in this area and I love my pet sitter. I'm in Bowie.