PBS comparisons, rants, and more, I guess

Old August 15th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default local mores (was PBS comparisons)

"tanadashoes" wrote:

But at least they never covered up the breasts of Venus on the Half Shell
(it is one of the alternate names for that painting IIRC) or digitalized the
buts and breasts of humans on nature shows. Please don't give the wine and
cheese weinies any ideas by writing them.

But you've got it all wrong. It's not the "wine and cheese weenies" who
get bent out of shape about breasts, butts and swearwords. That'd be the
job of Bible thumpers and puritannical types. Don't forget John Ashcroft -
not a wine and cheese weenie.

Whereas the wine and cheese weenies were the ones who wanted to put a
statue of a murderous conquistador up in the center of El Paso, Texas,
despite protests from local Native descendants of survivors of the
massacre. (I posted about this recently). Gotta know which type of weenie
goes with which stupid idea.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 15th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default OT: local mores (was PBS comparisons)

Kreisleriana wrote:

My all-time favorite dub: I was watching an old Burt Reynolds comedy, which
contained many instances of the word "f***ing." Each instance was changed
to "Viking"!!

That's just bizarre. "Viking" isn't even the right part of speech. Not
to mention the total irrelevance factor.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 15th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote:

There is nothing worse than watching a film, seeing a guy trying
to get away from a predator (on SciFi it's usually some sort of
monstrosity like a giant alligator or shark), and saying "shoot"
over and over. Got news for you, SciFi re-runs enough stuff, and
I've seen most of their films elsewhere, and "shoot" is *not*
what that guy is saying as he steers the boat to get away.

LOL! Yeah, there is something incredibly lame about hearing a
Mafia guy on some gangster movie going, "Forget you!" 50 million
times.

My all-time favorite dub: I was watching an old Burt Reynolds
comedy, which contained many instances of the word "f***ing." Each
instance was changed to "Viking"!! I laughed my ass off , but
wondered if viewers of Scandinavian descent would get insulted to
hear their ancestors used as a swear word. It also caused me to
remember this and snort every time afterwards, when I hear anyone
refer to Vikings. Like the Minnesota Vikings, for example. Or
"Give him a Viking funeral."

One of my pet peeves. I'm deaf and follow the captioning on TV. But
I can still hear a bit with my implant and I'm pretty good at lip
reading.

Often a swear work will be included in the audio programming, but they
will delete it from the closed captioning.

It isn't that I have a need to read swear words, but I find that so
incredibly condescending.

Jo

Old August 18th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

One of my pet peeves. I'm deaf and follow the captioning on TV. But
I can still hear a bit with my implant and I'm pretty good at lip
reading.

Often a swear work will be included in the audio programming, but they
will delete it from the closed captioning.

It isn't that I have a need to read swear words, but I find that so
incredibly condescending.

The whole thing is condescending. I don't like being treated like a
delicate child.

Sometimes, a lot of swearing is how real people talk, and if you want a
film or show to have any verisimilitude at all, you have to write a
script where characters say things you'd hear people say in real life,
or it just sounds ridiculous.

By the way, I've seen the opposite from what you describe, Jo. The spoken
word will be dubbed or bleeped, but the caption will have the real word.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 19th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

[...]

Somehow I find that reassuring. And its something I wouldn't notice.

I feel like I can hear the television when I'm wearing my processor,
but really I can't understand a great deal of it unless I have the
captions as well. If I were to read a word, I would 'think' I'd heard
it as well.

Jo

Old August 19th 08, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

outsider wrote:
My all-time favorite dub: I was watching an old Burt Reynolds
comedy, which contained many instances of the word "f***ing." Each

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

If you strangle a Smurf, what colour does it go? ;-)

I don't know but would be more than willing to find out if I see a smurf!

Get in line or leave me the Teletubbies!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs