Need advice regarding kidney disease and non-regenerative anemiafor feline

Old March 27th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Laura[_2_]

Default Need advice regarding kidney disease and non-regenerative anemiafor feline

Hello, cshenk, no problem at all with replying later (I'm often unable to reply right away as well). I do understand being swamped at work especially with the kind of work that you are doing. Hope you and all loved ones are safe and well.

We got Victoria from my parents (now deceased) and brother (disabled) almost two years ago. We've been having a rough time with seeing Victoria go downhill. No appetite, losing weight, loss of energy and interest. I'm wondering if there is something else going on with her in addition to the kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia. It's really exasperating for her and for me to syringe feed her as she refuses to eat on her own.

We love Victoria dearly and want her to become healthy again. It's very depressing to see her this way and she is only seven years young. We're doing all that we can for her and wouldn't have it any other way. We cherish our time with Victoria very much. Some have commented about how much we do for her. People would do the same for their human children. We feel the same about our dear sweet kitty. Animals deserve to be treated with as much love, dignity and respect as humans.

Good point with swapping cat foods. Victoria unfortunately was brought up on less desirable cat food due to money and lack of knowledge. This was before we got her.

I've tried Fancy Feast in the past with no luck (this was before Victoria became sick). I've tried so many different types of cat food and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. The veterinarians that we've taken Victoria to recommend Hill's prescription canned cat food. Specifically, the kidney diet. Victoria refuses to eat it. Heck, she's even refusing to eat the fresh, canned human tuna and fresh pre-cooked human chicken that she used to like..

Yes, I definitely agree with you on not using human eyes - "gravy is better" but instead go with what kitty likes. I also prefer grain-free.

Victoria hardly drinks water even though we are very thorough about keeping her water bowls clean and give her fresh, clean, cold water. Plus we give her running water from the faucet.

Thank you for the link to the Catit water fountain. I had looked into cat water fountains previously. One concern is that the water recirculates and is not fresh. We also looked at a kit that attached to the faucet and automatically turns on when the cat jumps up on the sink and turns off when the cat is done.

We give Victoria subcutaneous fluids every day as prescribed by a veterinarian at the animal hospital.

We've tried two different prescribed appetite stimulants. Mirtazapine (rubbed on her inner ear). That worked for maybe one or two days. Then it no longer worked. Next, we tried Entyce. That worked great for a couple of weeks or so but now it does not. I've stopped giving that to Victoria as it upsets her anyway to have medication given via syringe. She would drool a lot with that. Victoria still does drool even though I'm not giving her medicine via syringe. Whenever I get ready to give her the subcutaneous fluids, she drools due to association.

I'm now wondering if there is a highly recommended type of syringe for cat feeding and an appetite stimulant. I'm also looking for recommendations for an excellent tool to finely puree food for Victoria.

I've been using the 10 mL syringes that we get from the veterinarian. Those are *very* tedious to say the least, to work with. The tips are too small. Food gets stuck and creates a vacuum. Then I have to use a toothpick to de-clog the tip of the syringe.

I've tried a stick blender and an electric mixer with the whisk-like beaters to puree the food for Victoria. These are all that I have and they don't puree the food finely enough to prevent the clogging of the tip of the above-mentioned syringes.

I've looked on Amazon and Chewy for syringes for feeding cats. None of them seem like they are all that great and the tips are small. I've watched plenty of YouTube videos on how to syringe feed a cat.

Any recommendations for a good syringe (or should I maybe try a type of nursing bottle)? How about a good tool to finely puree the food and an appetite stimulant?

You and your fur babies take good care, be well and safe.

Old March 28th 20, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Laura wrote:

[...]

Hi Laura, many thoughts here. (for the rest, no cat-speak just now
though Victoria and Laura may enjoy it later). Simply to help you out,
cshenk is fine but if it makes me seem less mysterious, Carol is me.

Work is insane but with so many having no work or paycheck, I shouldn't
complain.

With the foods, I have found the vets tend to recommend prescription
diets but that seems more to be advertizing so 'they think they are
better'. That may not be true, and it is useless if the cat will not
eat it. Tell me, what brand/type was Victoria eating before? Good or
bad, it makes a basic that can be worked from. Regardless of grain-free
(I agree it is best) of that brand, may need to add some back as it is
'comfort food' possibly. A bit like when we are sick, we may want to
eat only grandma's chicken soup, not because it's that great, but
because it makes us feel better.

On Tuna, I have yet to had a cat who likes it. Fresh, kitty, human, or
canned. Maybe I have had wierd cats? Try Makeral. Canned. Look for
water-canned.

The water faucet makes her have to feel so thirsty, the jump is worth
the effort. Try a water fountain more her level and you can always
rinse the bucket of the one I listed several times a day ;-)

On feeding without the tiny 10ml syringe, look to pastry type items
used for decoratng cakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Dessert-Decorator-Decorating-Icing/dp/B003B3OK9A/

Far less likely to cake/stopper up. 12.80$ (USA, not sure where you
are). As to chopping it, a *small* 12-14$ 'food processor' would be
handy but the stick blender on most things should be fine enough.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-1-5-Cup-Electric-Chopper/dp/B000I0DV6W/

That might be all you need if the chopping is a bit much?

On foods, watch the ash content for cat foods carefully but for now, it
may be more critical to just find something she will tolerate?
Carol
Old April 11th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Laura Fenik

Hi Carol/cshenk, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I do hope all is
well with you. I can imagine that your work is chaotic.

It's been a rough number of days. Dear Victoria is worse. Today I drove
her to Pittsburgh again. Now the diagnosis is myelofibrosis. Victoria was
given her fourth blood transfusion this evening. Reluctantly, a bone
marrow biopsy was done at the Pittsburgh veterinary hospital earlier this
month or late last month. The results came back inconclusive due to
scarring in the bone marrow.

I've done some preliminary research and will be doing more. We've been
told by several veterinarians that we should maybe start thinking about
"humane euthanasia" as Victoria's quality of life is not good. I do not
want to give up on her however. Of course, we do not want her to suffer at
all either. One veterinarian said nothing can be done for the
myelofibrosis and Victoria won't live much longer. This is so heart-
wrenching for us as she is such a precious, sweet angel kitty who is
deeply embedded in our hearts.

Thank you for those links that you included in your last post. I did
purchase the cake decorating tool and gave it a try. That was an excellent
suggestion, by the way. It was unfortunately too big and unwieldy but not
to worry, this is definitely a good start. I reverted back to using the
larger syringes to feed Victoria. The canned food in pate form mixed with
water is easy to pass through the syringes.

Yes, I agree with you regarding your comments on the vets and prescription
diets. Before we had Victoria, she was fed Meow Mix original dry food (I
know this is the equivalent of human junk food). I certainly concur about
the comfort food. I did buy a bag of Meow Mix. Victoria seems to just love
that when she is not so sick. Lately, she's not even eating that. I've
even made sure to pour it right in front of her so that she can see that
it is fresh. This morning, I opened the bag and put it on its side to
really show Victoria how fresh it is. She put her dear little head in,
sniffed a bit but did not eat any. She's just too weak and sick. I was
going to syringe feed her but the vet tech from Pittsburgh said it is more
important to bring her in to the hospital right away.

Chopping doesn't bother me. But I can never seem to get it fine enough,
even with the stick blender or the food processor/chopper similar to the
Black & Decker chopper in the link that you provided. A good idea on the
water-canned mackerel. When I gave Victoria the tuna, it was always water-
canned. I think a big part of the reason that Victoria is so picky is her
illness. Another good point you made regarding watching the ash content.
As Victoria is unable to eat on her own, for now, I'll be sticking with
the urgent care pate form canned foods. I've been looking into homemade
cat food as well.

Yes, true about rinsing the bucket of the Catit water fountain several
times a day. May give this another look.

We've been in Pennsylvania the last year. Primary residence is in New
Jersey, but with the pandemic, we don't want to head back there. I'm
originally from Virginia, lived in West Virginia for many years.

I truly wish that we lived in the era of Star Trek so that Dr. McCoy or
any of the other fine ST doctors could save our dear Victoria. We'll get a
phone call tomorrow (Saturday, April 11th) about her and what the plan is.
Then I'll drive about two hours to Pittsburgh to pick our baby up.

Stay safe and well,

Laura
Old April 11th 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Laura Fenik wrote:

[...]

Hi Laura, Carol here. I grieve with you. It sounds like time to let
her go, for her own sake. There sadly, is no magic that will solve it.
I had to let Daisy-chan go too not long ago so I know how it feels.

In fact, I think you will find all here have been there. It's hard to
look at your loved one and say, 'game over kiddo', but if you delay too
long, you will always regret it. The grief will come, but adding
regret to it makes it worlds worse.
Old April 17th 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Laura Fenik

Hi Carol, thank you for your understanding. I'm so sorry for you in the
loss of your dear Daisy-chan. I empathize with how hard that was.

While Victoria's quality of life has diminished (particularly on some
days), she still has a lot of life in her and brightness in her eyes. We
don't want to cut her life short when there is still hope. I understand
that there may come a time when Victoria will become so ill that we will
need to consider letting her go for her sake. We've not gotten to that
point yet.

We had a wonderful day a few days ago with Victoria outside. She was full
of life, so happy to be outside, she rolled around on the ground and
nibbled at the grass. On her good days, Victoria is alert and happy to be
alive.

That day was a wonderful victory. Another victory is that in my research,
I found some suggestions to entice Victoria to eat. Top food with
nutritional yeast powder and grated parmesan cheese. Or Native Pet's Bone
Broth powder or Purina FortiFlora probiotic. I've tried all of these with
success on some days.

Old April 18th 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Laura Fenik wrote:

[...]

Thats good to hear Laura. Meantime, as our hearts healed over loss of
2 dogs (Cash and Iowna) and 1 cat (Daisy-chan) last year, we adopted
Mona and Luko (brother/sister cats, age 13) and are watching Prince
(Great Dane) while his owner is in the hospital with COVID positive
tests. He's not on a ventilator but he's neither better nor worse.

When we adopted Mona and Luko, we got some of that probiotic Purina
packets. Didn't seem to do anything with our cats but good to know it
seems to work for you and Victoria!
Old April 21st 20, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Laura Fenik

Carol, sending genuine well wishes to Prince's parent/companion to heal.
Very good of you to watch over Prince.

Bless dear Cash, Iowna, and Daisy-chan. Wonderful that you adopted brother/
sister cats, Mona and Luko. Victoria was a twin. Her other half was a
brother. My brother and parents only adopted Victoria (who was named by my
brother after a character in the play, "Cats") as a kitten in West
Virginia. We would have adopted both of them.

Our sweet Victoria sure is a picky eater! She liked the Purina FortiFlora
at first. Need to try this a few more times. I think the key is variety.
Oh and your suggestion of the water-canned mackerel has been tried and
kitty liked it, meow!
Old April 22nd 20, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk

Laura Fenik wrote:

Carol, sending genuine well wishes to Prince's parent/companion to
heal. Very good of you to watch over Prince.

Bless dear Cash, Iowna, and Daisy-chan. Wonderful that you adopted
brother/ sister cats, Mona and Luko. Victoria was a twin. Her other
half was a brother. My brother and parents only adopted Victoria (who
was named by my brother after a character in the play, "Cats") as a
kitten in West Virginia. We would have adopted both of them.

Our sweet Victoria sure is a picky eater! She liked the Purina
FortiFlora at first. Need to try this a few more times. I think the
key is variety. Oh and your suggestion of the water-canned mackerel
has been tried and kitty liked it, meow!

Thanks!

Prince is pretty used to here now but still obviously misses his true
owner. He caught the heart of some locals and has a special mask that
fits him so if we get a call that he can visit, has one. Made by a
local lady from his measurements. Fits perfectly.

I am very happy to see Victoria is eating a bit easier! I always varied
foods with cats but struggle with Mona and Luko. They just *refuse* so
far to try new or wet. I will keep trying.
Old June 19th 20, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Laura Fenik

Thank you, Carol for all of your good advice and kind replies. Sorry for
my big delay. The best to you and all fur babies :.
Old July 6th 20, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
cshenk[_3_]

On 6/19/2020 2:57 PM, Laura Fenik wrote:
Thank you, Carol for all of your good advice and kind replies. Sorry for
my big delay. The best to you and all fur babies :.

Hi Laura, hope you had a pleasant holiday. It's been awhile since we
last communicated. Since my last post, I grew tired of Luko and Mona and
their "finicky" ways. As I've done with a few of my other cats in the
past, I placed the two of them in a burlap sack, then proceeded to
hook-up the bag to my car's exhaust system. I know that sounds cruel but
it's actually a very humane method of euthanizing unwanted pets. If she
isn't showing any improvement, it may be time to give Victoria the gas.
Keep in touch and let me know how things work out.