Movie recommendations

Old March 29th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Movie recommendations

After reading all the posts in the movie thread, I went through
my list of favorite movies and chose a bunch that I thought people
here might enjoy watching. Unfortunately, the list had about 180
recommendations. So I knew I had to pare that down if I expected
anyone to read it.

First I eliminated all the really well-known movies. Yes, I loved
Men in Black and Groundhog Day, too, but why recommend movies that
most of us know about already and have probably seen?

Then I went through the list again and eliminated all the movies
that I really loved when I was younger, but have probably outgrown
by now.

Finally, I had to put each item to the acid test: would I watch this
movie again? If not, then it had to go. This was a hard one, because I
cut out a lot of very worthy films. But some of them I've just seen
too many times, or I'm just not that excited about them any more, or
they were really only good for one viewing. So, snip, snip.

My apologies, it's still not a short list.

Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) - Psychological suspense
All About My Mother - Entertaining character drama
11:14 - Cerebral puzzle movie. No violence, but several grisly accidents.

Birdy - Intense drama, very moving
Black Orpheus - Musical, drama, thriller
Boyz n the Hood - Intense drama, very emotional
The Brave Little Toaster - Adorable animation
The Business of Strangers - Intense character story
Children of Heaven - Delightful story

Dreams (Kurosawa) - Collection of several vignettes. Varied. Some are gorgeous.
Duma - Drama about a cheetah and the boy who loved him
El Bola - Drama, very heartfelt
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Sci-fi mind-bender

Five Days - Mystery crime drama (mini series in 5 episodes, taut story,
good acting)
Get Real - Drama
Grace of My Heart - Drama - lovely story about a songwriter
Ink - Odd but fascinating fantasy
Jacob's Ladder - My favorite horror/suspense movie ever
Knowing - Sci-fi/fantasy, suspenseful

Land and Freedom - Drama, very interesting story
The Last Mimzy - Imaginative fantasy
The Last Unicorn - Animated story based on the book.
Lengua De Las Mariposas (Eng title: Butterfly) - Moving drama
Longtime Companion - Another moving drama (with a tear-jerking ending)

The Machinist - Psychological mystery/suspense
Mala Educacion - Heavy drama, really put me through the ringer
Ma Vie En Rose - Not about Edith Piaf (that's "*La* Vie En Rose").
Imaginative drama/comedy
Mississippi Masala - Drama/comedy
Monsieur Ibrahim - Moving drama

Nashville - Dozens of interlocking stories, drama, satire, musical
Nos Miran - Spooky supernatural fantasy, suspense
Passion in the Desert - Allegorical story about a leopard and the man
who fell in love with her. (Sad, though)
Pieces of April - Drama/comedy
Pom Poko - Miyazake animation (anime?), very trippy but also
Premonition (Japanese) - Eerie fantasy (not to be confused with the Sandra
Bullock movie)
Princess Mononoke - Another great Miyazake anime

The Sheltering Sky - Based on Paul Bowles story - gorgeous filming
Snow Cake - Quirky story, great actors
State of Play - Miniseries, 6 episodes, *the* best political/crime drama
I've ever seen. Superlative script and acting
Storm (Swedish movie - there are several with this title) - Psychological
story with some fantasy, moving

Talk to Her - Hard to categorize. But good story, very well acted.
Tell No One - Excellent mystery, a good puzzle
Thelma & Louise - Classic drama, intense
Time After Time - Sci-fi suspense, very fun
Timecrimes - Sci-fi time-travel story

The Wedding Banquet - Comedy, very warm-hearted
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - Documentary about a guy who cares
for "feral" parrots
Working Girls - Straightforward drama about a brothel (not the
Sigourney Weaver movie, that's Working *Girl*)
Z - Political drama

I sure hope somebody finds this list interesting. Took me quite a while
to make it!

JOyce

--
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me,
for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me
Old March 29th 11, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
wrote:

[...]

If I were to compile a list that of movies I'd want others to see because
1. They prolly haven't seen them already 2. They were really great, and
keep the list *really* short, I'd recommend:

1. City Lights - The greatest fadeout of all time. Period.

2. Mulholland Drive - The inner life of a woman losing her mind. The end is
almost too tragic for words.

3. Rumble Fish - Little known '80's film by Francis Coppola captures
teenage angst perfectly, and even makes it profound. Based on the S.E.
Hinton novel. Rusty James lives!

*R* *H*
--
Powered by Linux |/ 2.6.32.26-175 Fedora 12
"No spyware. No viruses. No nags." |/ 2.6.31.12-0.2 OpenSUSE 11.2
Old March 29th 11, 08:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

If I were to compile a list that of movies I'd want others to see because
1. They prolly haven't seen them already 2. They were really great, and
keep the list *really* short

Well, excuuuuse me. I thought maybe some folks would second some of
my suggestions or talk about why they hated it. Or if they were
interested, they could always go to imdb.com to read up on it.

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old March 29th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the list. I am always looking for recommendations for films.

*R* *H*

Old March 30th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

One of my favourite films of recent years was "Whale Rider". to bring it
slightly on topic, there were two cats in the film but if you blinked
you missed them.

--
Adrian
Old March 30th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Adrian" wrote in message
One of my favourite films of recent years was "Whale Rider". to bring it
slightly on topic, there were two cats in the film but if you blinked
you missed them.

--
Adrian

Yes, that was a great movie! I think I must have blinked, because I don't
remember the cats. ;-)

Joy

Old March 30th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

One of my favourite films of recent years was "Whale Rider". to bring it
slightly on topic, there were two cats in the film but if you blinked
you missed them.

That movie must have done wonders for New Zealand tourism. The seaside
scenes looked so gorgeous.

Joyce

--
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.