feeding 2 spoiled cats

Old February 26th 04, 02:20 AM
LynC

Default feeding 2 spoiled cats

My 2 cats have been with me since they were kittens.. one now weighs 18 lbs.
and the other 15 lbs. The vet said they were healthy and not to worry about
their weights. I have 2 himmies and they tend to gain weight over time.

My problem is that I am used to feeding some canned cat food at night for
them both. I go to Petsmart and purchase about 21 cans of cat food for them
for the month. I get Iams, Nutro and Whiskas. That is what they always
liked. They used to fight over the food but now..... don't want the canned
food.

They don't eat the canned anymore other than a couple bites. I continue to
put it out each night as they are into the routine of being fed and beg for
it if I don't give them the canned food. They don't eat it however. I
throw it all in the garbage disposal the next morning.

I feel badly if I don't give the canned food to them but again, I just throw
it out the next morning. Is it possible to completely give up canned food
and is that okay?

Old February 26th 04, 02:52 AM
Ted Davis

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:20:17 -0500, "LynC" wrote:

[...]

I have a dozen very healthy cats that are given one can for all of
them once or twice a week as a treat. They eat Special Kitty dry food
from Walmart and love it. Two are obese, but were that way when I got
them. One that I got as a kitten is chubby. Two are skinny - they
were skinny when I got them, but the vet says they are healthy.

I must add that some of them partially feed themselves with what they
catch, but they are no healthier then the others.

If you feed only dry food, you need to make sure they are getting
enough water, and you need to watch out for problems due to specific
formulas and for things like urinary problems that need special
formulas.

If they are overweight and not eating something, it could be because
they are overfed.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old February 26th 04, 02:58 AM
LynC

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

I do take them to the vets each year for a check up and the vet says they
are healthy. I am worried because they are males and I guess I read
sometime back that males can develop some kind of urinary tract problem
related to diet and now for the life of me I can't remember what that was.
I am concerned because they have stopped eating the canned food. That was
their favorite.

Old February 26th 04, 03:31 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , LynC at
wrote on 2/25/04 7:58 PM:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
[...]

It's true that males can develop problems (not will, but it's a lot more
possible). Cut back on the amount of dry available and keep tempting them
with canned.

Karen

Old February 26th 04, 04:32 AM
Brian Tucker

My girls are sisters, 8 1/2. They have always policed themselves quite
well. I leave a can of food out each day and a small bowl of dry food.
They just nibble little bit several times a day. Takes them about 3
days to finish the small bowl of dry food. I feed them Hill's Science
Diet, Oral care and Hairball formula. A 3 1/2 lb bag of each lasts them
two months. I would be leary of just feeding them just dry food. Maybe
too much ash for them. Maybe different brand of cat food. Serena
(Sis) and Sonscere' always ate Whiskas, wouldn't touch 9 lives now it
is just the opposite, they let Whiskas sit there and rot and love 9
lives, go figure. They eat what they want when they want and maintain
there weight very well. Sis always is about 9.8 lbs and Sonscere'
always 9.2 lbs. Just my 2=A2.
Brian

My photo albums
http://public.fotki.com/Sonscere/

"IIt's not love that causes the pain
Whenever a heart has been shattered,
It's the losing of love that's to blame." VG

Old February 26th 04, 04:33 AM
LynC

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
Have you observed any unusual litterbox happenings with the two tomcats?
Straining to urinate or cries of pain while doing so? A trip to vet ASAP

if
you have (urethra blockage can quickly kill in males) or possibly bad

teeth
causing them feeding pain. Vet expense will answer any health concerns or
confirm mere eating pickyness on their parts.

No, I haven't. They are vet checked regularly and I was just concerned
about their change of eating habits. What they craved before is no longer
their favorite and now they don't eat it at all. Thanks for the reply.

Old February 26th 04, 05:00 AM
Victor Martinez

LynC wrote:
it out the next morning. Is it possible to completely give up canned food
and is that okay?

Wet food is better than dry food, but they will survive on a dry diet.
However, you might want to try different foods, some cats get bored with
a particular flavor or texture. Our cats go bonkers for the new Proplan
cans, particularly the "and rice" flavors. Available at Petsmart.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 26th 04, 05:07 AM
John Biltz

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:43:28 -0800, LynC wrote
(in article ):

Thanks for replies. I have the plastic lid containers and have recently
started to give both cats only a quarter of the canned food and they still
don't eat it. They only lick up the gravy and then want dry food. They are
a creature of habit and beg and claw at my legs for the canned food and then
turn their noses up. Happens every single night.

They do have fresh water and drink a lot more of it since this has been
happening over time.

I guess as they mature, they have changed eating habits as well. I dunno.
Stumped.

Maya did the same thing. She would lick the gravy and leave the rest. I
stopped feeding it to her. She wasn't eating it so the simple truth was
the nutritional value didn't matter because, like I said she wasn't
eating it. I started off figuring if I would feed it every other day
maybe she would start eating it again. So over the next few weeks I just
kept lengthening the interval and then I stopped. Every 3 or 4 days I
treat them with some tuna. I was feeding her the canned food and leaving
out dry food so when I stopped the canned food I went to a quality dry
food. The cost of the canned food offset the new cost of the quality dry
food nicely and she loved the new food. So everyone was happy about it.

Old February 26th 04, 07:03 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:43:28 -0500, "LynC" wrote:

"Yoj" wrote in message
link.net...
I suspect you'll get a lot of strong opinions on this, as I did when I
asked a similar question. My cats aren't quite as large as yours, but
they are definitely healthy. Skeeter never has been very interested in
canned food, although she'll occasionally take a few bites. Lindy was
eager for it, although picky, and she changed her preferences
periodically. Then I ran into a similar problem. She would beg me to
feed her, then turn up her nose at the food.

I finally settled it by continuing to buy her favorite flavors. I have
plastic lids that fit on the cans, and I divide 1/4 can between two
dishes every evening. Sometimes Lindy cleans out both dishes.
Sometimes she empties one and ignores the other. Skeeter still takes
the occasional bite or two. I'm throwing out a lot less food, but still
satisfying their desire to be given the canned food.

Joy

Thanks for replies. I have the plastic lid containers and have recently
started to give both cats only a quarter of the canned food and they still
don't eat it. They only lick up the gravy and then want dry food. They are
a creature of habit and beg and claw at my legs for the canned food and then
turn their noses up. Happens every single night.

They do have fresh water and drink a lot more of it since this has been
happening over time.

I guess as they mature, they have changed eating habits as well. I dunno.
Stumped.

From my own experience, their favorite food of all time can become
disgusting garbage not worth sniffing overnight. When that happens I
push it to the back of the cupboard. A couple weeks later it becomes
their favorite again. Not that they're spoiled or anything - heaven
forbid.

There is one thing in your post, though, that my bunch does like
your's seem to be doing now. If I feed them the type in gravy they'll
lick the gravy, then move fill up on the half cup of dry that I leave
out for snacks during the day. By the time they go back for more, the
canned food is dried out from sitting out with no gravy and ends up
being thrown away. When I feed them ground up type of canned, they eat
that first leave the dried for later snacks, which is what I prefer
anyway.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old February 26th 04, 10:23 AM
Fat Freddy

Our cats go bonkers for the new Proplan
cans, particularly the "and rice" flavors.

Ours also. They love the ProPlan "Salmon and Rice" and Chicken and
Rice".They don't care too much for the ones with liver. They eat about
half of it and pester me until I give them the Salmon or Chicken. I
wish it came in larger cans. Those little cans get expensive.