deceased cockerel

Old October 12th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

Default deceased cockerel

marina,

my father is a small farmer, he has cattle, and used to raise pigs... they
are wonderfully intellegint creatures. We had the sam sow for years until
one day it attacked my father. this was at the time that grandchildren were
coming onto the scene, he dispatched all the pigs the next day. my sister
and i were sad but when he showed us the 2 by4 in half we understood. the
issue is not explaining these things up front and helping kids to keep all
of it seperate, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Marina" wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

That *is* an awful trick, and I don't understand either how those FFA
kids
can raise pets out of sheep/cattle, then sell them for slaughter. I
wasn't
much of a beef eater to begin with, but since we got stuck with my
dad's little hobby herd after he died, they are all pets, and I can't
eat
beef at all. They are gentle creatures mostly. Although we may end
up having to sell them anyway, they are far too expensive to feed
to keep them all as pets. I like cows, but I *hate* the cattle
business.
It's enough to make a vegetarian out of you.

Not replying specifically to you, Sherry, just jumping into the
conversation. I was always a city girl, so never had a close connection
with farm animals. But one summer, there was a pig pen by the shop in the
little village where we shop in the summer, when we're staying on the
island. There was a big pig in the pen. Each time we visited the village,
and while my parents were running errands - grocery-shopping, fetching the
post, visiting the bank - I stayed at the pen and talked to the pig. It
always looked deep into my eyes as if it understood every word I said. I
really fell in love with that pig. Always before that, and ever after,
cats have been the only animal for me, but that pig left a lasting
impression on me. So, the following summer, I was looking forward to
seeing 'my' pig again. Eagerly I ran up to the pen when we finally went to
the village. There was no pen (it had been a simple, wooden construction).
I asked my parents where the pig was, and they sort of chuckled and said
it had probably become a very nice Christmas ham. They didn't realise how
important that pig had become to me. I think I was depressed about it for
the rest of the summer. I must have been 7 or 8.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old October 12th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Stormmmee wrote:
marina,

my father is a small farmer, he has cattle, and used to raise pigs... they
are wonderfully intellegint creatures. We had the sam sow for years until
one day it attacked my father. this was at the time that grandchildren were
coming onto the scene, he dispatched all the pigs the next day. my sister
and i were sad but when he showed us the 2 by4 in half we understood. the
issue is not explaining these things up front and helping kids to keep all
of it seperate, Lee

People do manage to raise animals and slaughter them for food without
traumatizing children or treating the animals badly, and as someone who
enjoys eating meat, I'm glad they can. I saw an local show on a small
farm in which they named the sheep, or some of them, but everyone,
including the children, took it quite for granted that they'd end up on
the dinner table.

To a non-farmer, the comment, sparked by a question from the
interviewer, that the meat they were cooking for supper was 'Joe' (or
whatever the name was) was a bit odd, maybe because it was a human name.
And any animal that becomes dangerous does have to be put down.

--
Cheryl
Old October 12th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

i can verify that being raised around animals that i knew would be someone's
food without having issues about it.

one of the things that was impressed on me at an early age is that all of
the food animals simply would never have been here if they were not going to
be eaten. another precept is that treating these animals badly is not only
cruel it is stupid. the brood animals are parteners with the farmer, and if
they are malnurished, treated badly or not cared for propeerly it is not
only a sin to do so it is a detriment to the family livelyhood. i am
having some difficulty explaining this because it has always been a part of
my life, and i get so amased at some of the misconceptions, and amased at
families that did traumatise their children it is so odd, and in a way is
reaffirmation of my parents upbringing, and this discussion has made me once
again grateful for the parents i have, Lee

--
Have a great day

Old October 12th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

very diplomatically put, and one of the things that i think a lot of people
confuse, the rasing of the food animal is one thing, how they are processed
in most facilities is another thing entirely, while there can't be
injections, i do think dispatching the food animals can be done in most
instances a hell of a lot better than it is, Lee

--
Have a great day

Stormmmee wrote:
[...]

TW for the megasensitive
Well, this has nothing to do with either of you, pets, farms, or
parents, but in my
prime, early 20's, lived in a large (today, even larger) 'burb of town
where much
industry went on...."anything goes" zoning. I had occasion to deliver
a large
draft (form of check) from my workplace to one of the clients therein.
Affable
execs offered to take me on a tour of how "humane" their meatpacking
plant
was (adjoining slaughterhouse included). I am not a sensitive person
at all and
yes, still eat meat but not the quantities men do in general. The
animals in that
place were never anyone's pets...they were cows raised for beef
shipped there
from the beef farms in surrounding towns in same area where most of
citrus
groves are to this day. I am not a PETA fanatic but don't ever be
naive as I was
and for any reason visit such a place. There is no "lethal injection"
there.