deceased cockerel

Old October 14th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default deceased cockerel

"Stormmmee" wrote in message
my grandmother and my sister now never says who is getting eaten, both
women always did/do the slaughter when the kids aren't there. teaching a
child to care for animals is very important, but taking care of their
feelings is just as important.

btw i have a question for you, you mentioned rats but you have never
mentioned snakes around the birds, does uk not have snakes? Lee

Yes, we have three native species, only one is venomous and none of them eat
chickens, chicks or eggs phew

http://www.interestinganimals.net/br...sh_snakes.html

It's bad enough having foxes gagging to get at my poultry let alone snakes!!

In my whole life I have seen a grass snake three times. I caught one when I
was a kid and wanted to keep it as a pet. I was not put off by the stinky
stuff it sprayed at me from its vent and hurried back to my grandparent's
house with it.
I put it in a cardboard box but somehow it escaped overnight when I was in
bed.
I wonder how that happened ;-) My grandparents assured me that grass snakes
could easily eat through cardboard boxes and it was a pity that aged 8 I
hadn't realised that. They said it was a pity I hadn't thought about
plastic..

I've seen a smooth snake once, dead at the side of the road, years ago.

I've never seen an adder. I know they exist, but they prefer a different
habitat to the one I live in. Apart from that, apparently they are quite
shy and prefer to disappear if they hear humans approaching.
You could get bitten if you accidentally stepped on one, but even so you are
very likely to be OK with hospital treatment. They wouldn't hunt you ;-)

Tweed

Old October 14th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

part of my snake phobia is i am suure from a time when my grandmother went
to get eggs i went with her and she put her hand under the chicken and
pulled out a snake, Lee still makes me shudder

--
Have a great day
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Stormmmee" wrote in message
[...]

;-)

Tweed

Old October 14th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I nearly did step on an adder on a visit to England. I didn't know at
the time how unusual it was. I was off on a hiking trail just marching
along and spotted it just as my foot was about to descend. It didn't
instantly slither off so I was able to study it carefully and describe
it to some English friends I met for a meal later. They told me it was
poisonous, but not really *deadly* poisonous, and that it was a bit
unusual to see one although they were sometimes spotted near primary
schools, and the children were all told to wear their rainboots until
the danger passed.

--
Cheryl

Old October 14th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

They were making fun of you.
Adders do not stalk primary schools. They live in heathland and most Brits
have never even seen one.

Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

Tweed

Old October 14th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Christina Websell wrote:

Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

fx: Hands stay firmly by my side

I've seen an adder in the wild. I've also handled "pet" snakes
twice - once at work(!), and once at a Scout Troop meeting.

/fx

Old October 14th 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

In my lifetime I've seen two adders and several grass snakes. One of the
grass snakes was a large female that one of the cats brought home, I don't
know who, I saw three cats staring under a chair in the conservatory and
found the snake. I put it in a box and released it outside.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 14th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

MatSav wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

fx: Hands stay firmly by my side

I've seen an adder in the wild. I've also handled "pet" snakes
twice - once at work(!), and once at a Scout Troop meeting.

/fx

Ooops! I meant, of course:

fx: both arms raised
/fx

--
MatSav

Old October 14th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Christina Websell wrote:

They were making fun of you.
Adders do not stalk primary schools. They live in heathland and most Brits
have never even seen one.

Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

I think the adder I saw forgot to read the book that said it was
supposed to live on heathlands, although admittedly it wasn't very far
from the downs, which may or may not count. And my friends didn't say
that adders stalk or hunt schools; they said sometimes - rarely - an
adder was spotted in the area immediately around a school.

Really, you must think I met the rudest people of all, and I can assure
you that's not the case and they weren't the type who like amusing
themselves at someone else's expense.

--
Cheryl
Old October 15th 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmmee

well lemme tell youu, if i had been you one of two things would have
happened... either i would have wet myself and drowned it, or it would have
bit me multiple times when i passed out and fell onto it. Leee

--
Have a great day