A new nighttime habit

Old April 27th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default A new nighttime habit

Since Scouty apparantly can't reach her own back to wash it (and she
doesn't like to let the other cats do it for her) her fur was in a
rather sad condition back there, and the TED told me I needed to groom
her every night. So we made a new routine - when I go into the bedroom
to watch tv in the evening I pick up the brush and call Scouty and she
comes RUNNING for her lovings... she's always been a very sweet kitty,
even if a big chicken, and she adores being brushed - she's even
willing to come into the same room as the daddy monster if it means
having meowmie brush her fur!

For the first few weeks her fur was very dry and brittle and quite a
bit of it broke off when I brushed it, so I was worried that it was a
more serious problem than just lack of personal hygeine and we'd have
to take her back to the TED... then she managed to get some tomato
soup on her back so I wiped her off with a wet cloth, and when she
dried off the dry brittle patch of fur was as sleek and glossy as the
rest of her - just shorter!
Old April 27th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
news
Since Scouty apparantly can't reach her own back to wash it (and she
doesn't like to let the other cats do it for her) her fur was in a
rather sad condition back there, and the TED told me I needed to groom
her every night. So we made a new routine - when I go into the bedroom
to watch tv in the evening I pick up the brush and call Scouty and she
comes RUNNING for her lovings... she's always been a very sweet kitty,
even if a big chicken, and she adores being brushed - she's even
willing to come into the same room as the daddy monster if it means
having meowmie brush her fur!

But isn't she quite a young cat? Why can't she reach her back to groom it?
Has she become disabled in some way?
This is a difficulty I would only expect in an old cat.

Tweed

Old April 28th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:33:38 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
news
Since Scouty apparantly can't reach her own back to wash it (and she
doesn't like to let the other cats do it for her) her fur was in a
rather sad condition back there, and the TED told me I needed to groom
her every night. So we made a new routine - when I go into the bedroom
to watch tv in the evening I pick up the brush and call Scouty and she
comes RUNNING for her lovings... she's always been a very sweet kitty,
even if a big chicken, and she adores being brushed - she's even
willing to come into the same room as the daddy monster if it means
having meowmie brush her fur!

But isn't she quite a young cat? Why can't she reach her back to groom it?
Has she become disabled in some way?
This is a difficulty I would only expect in an old cat.

Her neck isn't very long and her muzzle isn't very long and she's
HUGELY chunky (remember she's 16 pounds of muscle)... she just plain
can't bend that far. She washes herself plenty and keeps her tummy and
tail and legs and front part gleaming, but she can't reach the middle
of her back (and every time her sissifur washes her, she does her head
and then Scouty says 'enough' and it turns into a wrestling match :P )
Old April 28th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

Ah. Therein lies your problem. She's too chunky to reach her back.

she just plain
can't bend that far. She washes herself plenty and keeps her tummy and
tail and legs and front part gleaming, but she can't reach the middle
of her back (and every time her sissifur washes her, she does her head
and then Scouty says 'enough' and it turns into a wrestling match :P )

Can I be frank without you killfiling me? ah, well I will do it anyway.
She is too fat. She is not 16lbs of muscle at all. She is 6 lbs of fat.
I've decided not to buy into euphemisms any more since just now. Fluffy, big
built etc. The word is fat. Overfed for the amount of exercise available.
Now I will await the flack, I don't care really. If cats have to be kept
inside their food has to be controlled to allow their weight not to spiral.
Sorry, Karen.

Tweed

Old April 28th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:50:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
news Since Scouty apparantly can't reach her own back to wash it (and she
[...]

Fine... you come over and just TRY to hold her and see just how flabby
she is... even John has trouble restraining her because she's hugely
strong. If it's six pounds of fat it's evenly distributed over her
entire body from her tail tip to her nose. The vet didn't say anything
about her needing to lose weight and she only just had her vet check
for the year. She doesn't get treats because she won't eat them. She
walks away from her dinnerbowl leaving it half full and she doesn't
even TRY to steal food from our plates - if you offer a treat Silver
and Tessie come RUNNING and Scouty follows behind, but she never eats
the treat. She'll sniff it and walk away without even licking it
unless it is a little bit of chicken breast. She IS lazy, I'll give
you that - she prefers to lie in her box rather than run around.
Old April 28th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

[...]

Even Molly, tiny contortionist that she is, has a spot about the size of a
dime on the back of her neck she misses.

Jo

Old April 28th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
Can I be frank without you killfiling me? ah, well I will do it
anyway. She is too fat. She is not 16lbs of muscle at all. She is 6
lbs of fat. I've decided not to buy into euphemisms any more since
just now. Fluffy, big built etc. The word is fat. Overfed for the
amount of exercise available. Now I will await the flack, I don't
care really. If cats have to be kept inside their food has to be
controlled to allow their weight not to spiral. Sorry, Karen.

Tweed

The euphemisms are for our enjoyment; we all know what "fluffy" means. I
know Persia is fat. She weighs 16 pounds and as an old commercial for used
to say, I can pinch more than an inch. But she only gets 1/2 cup (120 ml)
of her r/x kibble a day and absolutely NO treats. I suppose I could try
cutting back to 1/3 cup (80 ml) but my goodness, that just doesn't sound
like very much food per day to me. The difference, however, is Persia is at
least 8 years old, not a senior cat but well past the kitten stage. I try
to encourage her to play; she loves the laser pointer. But she loses
interest after just a few minutes. She's very sedentary.

Jill

Old April 30th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Mmm, I don't like messages to start "fine.." it means it's not fine. I
don't think I mentioned the word flabby at all.
The point I am trying to make (not very well, it seems) is that 16lbs seems
to be very heavy for a domestic shorthair. Domestic cats are pretty much
the same all over the world and the only time I knew of them getting to this
sort of weight is when they eat too much against the exercise available to
them.
I understand that it very difficult for most Americans to let their cats out
like most of us in the UK are able to. It keeps our cats trim and they burn
off the calories they eat. Were they not able to go outside their food
would have to be reduced so their weight didn't increase.
I am digging an even bigger hole for myself here, so that's enuff said.
Sometimes I should just shut up.. but then again..

Tweed