Herrings milt

Old June 22nd 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Herrings milt

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I keep my egg spread in the fridge in a glass jar I bought for 20c at a
fleamarket in Germany. It has a rubber seal and a metal clip that keeps
it airtight. It's brilliant. I wish we could get them here, I would buy
more of them.

This sort of thing?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nch_kilner.jpg

Very similar

Tweed

Old June 22nd 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_4_]

On Jun 21, 5:53 pm, "John F. Eldredge" wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 21:28:20 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I keep my egg spread in the fridge in a glass jar I bought for 20c
at a fleamarket in Germany. It has a rubber seal and a metal clip
that keeps it airtight. It's brilliant. I wish we could get them
here, I would buy more of them.

That sounds like a Ball jar. They're very common in the US. I'm
surprised those are hard to get in the UK.

Is this what it looks like?

http://www.freundcontainer.com/produ...8_A_AIR%2DSEAL

+JARS+%96+GLASS

Yes, that is the same sort of container as the "Ball jar" (a US brand of
home-canning jars). There are also some that have a two-part lid, a flat
disk with heat-sensitive glue around the edge and a ring that holds the
disk in place. In the canning process, when the heat inside the pressure
canner (basically, a large pressure cooker) gets hot enough to sterilize
the contents of the jars, it also melts the glue, sealing the disk in
place. The ring then protects the disk from being accidentally
dislodged. When you are ready to use the contents of the jar, you pry up
the lid, breaking the glue seal. The jars and rings can be washed and
reused in another year's canning process; the flat disk is intended for
one-time-only use, as there is no certainty that the glue will seal
airtight a second time.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available fromhttp://pgp.mit.edu

As a stickler for details, I thought I would tell how those lids
really work for those who don't know...

First of all, the lid has a little bubble on top - that becomes very
important.

The heat from the boiler makes the amount of air inside larger when it
is hot than when it is cold. When the jars are boiled, air escapes
from the jars (which is why you don't seal the rings very tight until
after the heating). When you take everything out and seal it, the air
inside cools down which makes it take up a smaller volume and sucks
the lid to the top of the jar and then sucks the air out of the bubble
making a popping noise. This is how you know it sealed and that it can
be safely stored. When you want to open the jar, you literally pop
open the lid and use the insides.

Not magic or anything, but very cool when you know how it works.

Bridget - who spent way too many hours in my mother's kitchen canning
Old June 22nd 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:

* Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria- Hide quoted text -

I don't think those are canning jars, though; they look more like
they're just for
storage. They do look like the old-type canning jar (Ball, Kerr,
Atlas, etc. etc. are
all the same, just different brands.)
That's interesting though, John --I have canned for years, and I never
knew the sealant around the lids (on the "modern" canning jar) were
glue. I thought they were rubber. I did know you
weren't supposed to use them again, so I probably should have clued in
that there
was a reason :-)
Sherry
Old June 22nd 08, 10:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I keep my egg spread in the fridge in a glass jar I bought for 20c at a
fleamarket in Germany. It has a rubber seal and a metal clip that keeps
it airtight. It's brilliant. I wish we could get them here, I would buy
more of them.

This sort of thing?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nch_kilner.jpg

Very similar

Tweed

That sort of thing comes in various designs & sizes & can be quite easily
obtained.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!3813_3814

http://www.waresofknutsford.co.uk/pr...ars+-+Clip+Top

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260251133450

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...num=1&ct=title

You can often find them in supermarkets - ready filled with some sort of
product. I've got a few I've saved that had cranberry & orange sauce in
originally.

They are very useful

Hope the above helps if you ever look to obtain more

Old June 22nd 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"Christine K" wrote in message
Christina Websell kirjoitti:

I keep my egg spread in the fridge in a glass jar I bought for 20c
at a fleamarket in Germany. It has a rubber seal and a metal clip
that keeps it airtight. It's brilliant. I wish we could get them
here, I would buy more of them.

We have those tight sealing glass jars in Finland too, they're used
for preserves, be it jams or picles or whatever... they're usually
more readily available in the late summer / early autumn when people
start making preserves.
Here's one pic:
http://www.vapaa-aika.com/asp_sivut/...tunnus=T112205
or
http://tinyurl.com/553njl

Yes, mine is like that but a bit smaller. I wish I could buy them
here in the UK. They are all over the place in Germany.

Tweed

You could try searching for "Kilner Jars", someone must still sell them.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 22nd 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Christine K" wrote in message

We have those tight sealing glass jars in Finland too, they're used for
preserves, be it jams or picles or whatever... they're usually more
readily available in the late summer / early autumn when people start
making preserves.
Here's one pic:
http://www.vapaa-aika.com/asp_sivut/...tunnus=T112205
or
http://tinyurl.com/553njl

I LOVE those jars. I bought out the local restaurant supply store when they
had them for sale a few years ago. Right afterwards they became popular
over here and the price for the jars tripled. I was lucky that time. I
store a lot of dry goods in them.

Pam S.

Old June 22nd 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Bridget" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you. You explained it better than I could. I remember canning
season. I'd walk into the kitchen to take a batch out of the canner and the
previous set would be on the counter cushioned in terry towels and you could
hear the lids popping. I also spent too many hours learning to can, then
canning on my own as a kid.

Pam S.

Old June 22nd 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...

"Bridget" wrote in message

[...]

It kind of ticks me off that just when I thought I didn't have to do
any more canning for the rest of my life, I've discovered I can't buy
jelly or preserves that taste anything near as good as homemade.
Assuming of course I can find really good flavorful fruit to make them
from.

Charlie found some wonderful strawberries two weeks ago. This weeks
search will be for wild blackberries.

Guess I can't throw out the old food mill yet.

Maybe its just as well the fence fell on the tomatoes. At full
production I'd have probably ended up canning them. As it is I will
probably only have to freeze a few batches of sauce.

Jo

Old June 22nd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"wafflycat" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for bothering to search the internet for me ;-) but wow, they are
expensive to buy new. My little one cost 20c in Germany, 1/5th of a euro,
15p-ish.
Maybe I should ask N to get me some more, and post them to me. Even
refunding the postage would make them a bargain I suspect!

German fleamarkets are like our car boot sales, and we went over into the
previous Eastern Germany for this one where I got my jar. It's immediately
obvious, even now, when you are you are out of the Western Germany bit and
into the Eastern. The housing looks like blocks of apartments built from
grey concrete.

The fleamarket was great, but as my German is pretty dire, and dialect gave
me no chance, I let N do the bargaining for me. There was this sort of
wooden thing on one stall. About a foot high and with hooks and strings on.
I was intrigued by it and asked N to enquire what it was. A long
conversation took place for what seemed like at least 5 minutes. "so what
is it, then?" I asked N.
"she doesn't know, she says it's a thingummybob.."
How glad I was at that point that I've been able to teach N English slang
and conversational English in the 5 years we've been e-mailing. Her English
has improved out of all recognition from when I first knew her.
But I have to admit when she said to me (I was driving at the time) "Is
*bugger* a friendly word to say to people?" I had a hard time keeping my
steering wheel straight.
She is now clear on this ;-)

Tweed

Old June 22nd 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 22, 10:06*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

But I have to admit when she said to me (I was driving at the time) *"Is
*bugger* a friendly word to say to people?" *I had a hard time keeping my
steering wheel straight.

Right now I have cleaned some Stella Artois off the monitor! Having
had my own incident of someone whose first language was not English
having problems with that word this really made me laugh!

I've heard it and used it as a term of endearment- I sometimes call a
friend of mine a "daft bugger" but I suspect it's only acceptable
between good friends

And I am surprised you managed to keep the steering wheel straight!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs