Gravity

Old October 24th 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Gravity

Why on earth do cats - and I'm talking about Siki in particular - need to
test gravity so often? *Nothing* is safe from her, unless its on the floor.
If she can bat if off the table, the benchtop, the TV, the desk etc etc, she
will. It can't be an attention seeking thing, because she does it when we're
out of the room, and even at night, when we're asleep. (I've often woken up
to the sound of shattering in the dead of night). She could be sitting or
snoozing next to the object for hours, even days, and then something goes
*ping* in her head, and she has to make it fall off.

Pickle has absolutely no interest in such things, nor did Shmogg.

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity to see
if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old October 24th 09, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Yowie wrote:
Why on earth do cats - and I'm talking about Siki in particular - need to
test gravity so often? *Nothing* is safe from her, unless its on the floor.
If she can bat if off the table, the benchtop, the TV, the desk etc etc, she
will. It can't be an attention seeking thing, because she does it when we're
out of the room, and even at night, when we're asleep. (I've often woken up
to the sound of shattering in the dead of night). She could be sitting or
snoozing next to the object for hours, even days, and then something goes
*ping* in her head, and she has to make it fall off.

Pickle has absolutely no interest in such things, nor did Shmogg.

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity to see
if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

Yowie

I think cats are just a bit overly scientific, and they want to test out
the theory that gravity pulls everything to the ground very thoroughly.
Very, very thoroughly.

--
Cheryl
Old October 25th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Why on earth do cats - and I'm talking about Siki in particular - need to
test gravity so often? *Nothing* is safe from her, unless its on the floor.
If she can bat if off the table, the benchtop, the TV, the desk etc etc, she
will. It can't be an attention seeking thing, because she does it when we're
out of the room, and even at night, when we're asleep. (I've often woken up
to the sound of shattering in the dead of night). She could be sitting or
snoozing next to the object for hours, even days, and then something goes
*ping* in her head, and she has to make it fall off.

Pickle has absolutely no interest in such things, nor did Shmogg.

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity to see
if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

Because "anything that is not nailed down is a cat toy"? You might
have to get more creative about the storage of your items.

My cats are pretty good about this. They generally don't knock things
off high surfaces. On the other hand, I'm completely unable to have any
kind of growing greenery in this house, because they will eat it. I
guess every cat has its annoying habit, for which only its adorableness
saves it from being throttled.

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old October 25th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
Why on earth do cats - and I'm talking about Siki in particular - need to
test gravity so often? *Nothing* is safe from her, unless its on the floor.
If she can bat if off the table, the benchtop, the TV, the desk etc etc, she
will. It can't be an attention seeking thing, because she does it when we're
out of the room, and even at night, when we're asleep. (I've often woken up
to the sound of shattering in the dead of night). She could be sitting or
snoozing next to the object for hours, even days, and then something goes
*ping* in her head, and she has to make it fall off.

Pickle has absolutely no interest in such things, nor did Shmogg.

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity to see
if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

Yowie

Just like a baby sitting in a highchair: because they can! MLB
Old October 25th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Baird Stafford" wrote in message

In article ,
"Yowie" wrote:

snip

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity
to see if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

I lived with a cat who had the same hobby, once upon a time. I came
to the conclusion that it was "because things make such interesting
noises when they hit the floor," and "there are so many different
*kinds* of interesting noises."

That doesn't work in this case, she's profoundly deaf (being a white cat
with blue eyes.... also makes her very pretty). Perhaps they make such an
interesting pattern when they shatter, and the two-foots have such an
interesting reaction when things shatter :-)

Yowie

Old October 26th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Oct 25, 4:30*pm, "Yowie" wrote:
"Baird Stafford" wrote in message

In article ,
"Yowie" wrote:

snip

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity
to see if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

I lived with a cat who had the same hobby, once upon a time. *I came
to the conclusion that it was "because things make such interesting
noises when they hit the floor," and "there are so many different
*kinds* of interesting noises."

That doesn't work in this case, she's profoundly deaf (being a white cat
with blue eyes.... also makes her very pretty). Perhaps they make such an
interesting pattern when they shatter, and the two-foots have such an
interesting reaction when things shatter :-)

"Howls of delight," according to some of my cat-friends on rpcc. If we
simply ignore them they will stop. Or they will destroy everything in
the house eventually.

WooToo knocks something to the floor now and then but it isn't an
obsession with her.

--
Will in New Haven

Old October 26th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Yowie wrote
Why on earth do cats - and I'm talking about Siki in particular - need to
test gravity so often? *Nothing* is safe from her, unless its on the floor.
If she can bat if off the table, the benchtop, the TV, the desk etc etc, she
will. It can't be an attention seeking thing, because she does it when we're
out of the room, and even at night, when we're asleep. (I've often woken up
to the sound of shattering in the dead of night). She could be sitting or
snoozing next to the object for hours, even days, and then something goes
*ping* in her head, and she has to make it fall off.

Pickle has absolutely no interest in such things, nor did Shmogg.

Is she just being critical of my clutter? Or is she testing gravity to see
if its still there? Why must she bat stuff to the floor?

Nanki Poo does, but *only* when there is a human watching [and usually
shouting].

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old October 26th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

David Stevenson wrote:

Nanki Poo does, but *only* when there is a human watching [and usually
shouting].

Miranda does that too; only when I can see her doing it. She will push
it just a little bit, then look at me, then push it again, then look at
me. When I say, in a threatening voice, 'Mir-AND-a!,' she triumphantly
pushes it over the edge.

if something falls when I'm not in the room, I know it was Caliban and I
know it wasn't pushed over the edge on purpose.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old October 26th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
David Stevenson wrote:

Nanki Poo does, but *only* when there is a human watching [and
usually shouting].

Miranda does that too; only when I can see her doing it. She will
push it just a little bit, then look at me, then push it again,
then look at me. When I say, in a threatening voice, 'Mir-AND-a!,'
she triumphantly pushes it over the edge.

if something falls when I'm not in the room, I know it was Caliban
and I know it wasn't pushed over the edge on purpose.

--

Ah yes. The difference between testing gravity, and rediscovering
it on a daily basis.

Jo

Old October 26th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Miranda does that too; only when I can see her doing it. She will push
it just a little bit, then look at me, then push it again, then look at
me. When I say, in a threatening voice, 'Mir-AND-a!,' she triumphantly
pushes it over the edge.

What a brat!!

if something falls when I'm not in the room, I know it was Caliban and I
know it wasn't pushed over the edge on purpose.

You could say to Miranda, "Why aren't you more like your brother?"

Joyce

--
Seen on a T-shirt:

If At First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Isn't For You