What breed of cat is this one?

Old June 10th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default What breed of cat is this one?

This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had. For a start, it
rarely ever meowed, instead, it cooed like a pigeon. It also had those
thick horizontal long hairs in the ears, perhaps you can see them in
the first pic. It was also extremely smart. It had a very strange
personality, as if it wasn't a cat, sometimes more like a dog,
sometimes even like a human. Although owned from being an 8wk old
kitten, born in an animal shelter, it never seemed willing to be
treated as a pet. It felt as if it insisted on being treated as an
equal. I know all cats are perhaps like that, but this one was an order
of a magnitude more so than any other i'd come across, and I grew up
with families of them. For example, it'd never come close and rub its
body against your leg, in fact, knowing it, that was unthinkable. It
didn't want to be petted, but enjoyed playfighting. It liked going out
on walks, just like dogs, and it walked along with you as you can see
in the second picture. Sometimes if the walk entailed an exciting field
it ran energetically around it and if you called it it ran back to you.
You'd have to see how it'd run across the field back to you when you
called it, just like a dog! And something about it was quite mature,
even from very young age. It's like it considered itself a human,
wanted to stay with humans, and looked at other animals as if they were
lowly, stupid and immature. It's hard to describe, you'd have had to
experience it in person to feel how different it was from other cats.

http://i6.tinypic.com/13zpaf7.jpg
http://i6.tinypic.com/13zviwl.jpg

Old June 10th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...

This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.

Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

Old June 10th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.

Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

Old June 10th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

oups.com...

Old June 10th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

oups.com...

Old June 10th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
ups.com...

cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.

Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

What is "cat flu?"

Old June 10th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.

Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

What is "cat flu?"

Wait, I got confused with bird flu. He died with feline leukaemia.

Old June 11th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

cybercat wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

This cat behaved so unlike any other cat I ever had.

Was "it" a boy or a girl and what happened to "it?"

It was a boy. Died from cat flue even though he got jabbed for it.

What is "cat flu?"

Wait, I got confused with bird flu. He died with feline leukaemia.

That is very sad. He sounds special. He looks kind of like a Maine Coon cat.

Old June 11th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (6/10/2006
5:26 PM):
[...]

Sounds and looks a lot like the Maine Coon I had some years ago. Sorry
to hear he died though.

jmc
Old June 11th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Sat 10 Jun 2006 05:26:34p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

http://i6.tinypic.com/13zpaf7.jpg
http://i6.tinypic.com/13zviwl.jpg

The pictures look like he had a lot of Maine Coon in him, but
probably mixed. That said, every brown tabby I've ever had the
privilege of knowing were very big, very smart, and very unique.
There's something about these big tabbies that makes them seem almost
human, or sometimes almost dog-like, and every single one I've known
don't like to be held, but love attention on their own terms. I have
a big brown tabby, along with his sister littermate. She's a gray
tabby. He has the same temperament as every other brown tabby I've
known. His sister has moments of being a lap cat, but her brother
never will be. They were both rescued from the wild with their other
littermates at about 5 weeks, but they have a strong prey drive. A
former feral that lives with me doesn't have a prey drive that I can
see at all. She's a solid black. I believe that the genes that
determine their color bring along certain traits that determine
temperament and instinct. I'm not a breeder, so it's a guess.

--
Cheryl