Cat Vomit

Old January 22nd 04, 12:25 AM
Mischief

Default Cat Vomit

I was in bed last night reading a new CSI book and I heard Mischief
slurping up her food.

Then I heard the dreaded sound. I'm sure all of you here are familiar
with it. the Hurk....hurk......hurk.......PloooooooooaaaaahhhH! !!

I look up just in time to see her vomit up her food on the carpet and
on the sleeve of one of my shirts. *sigh*

This is something that mainly happens with her and only rarely with
Imp, where they will be scarfing down their food and then when they
are done they throw it up again.

I don't see any hairballs in the vomit, and my roommate tells me its
because they are eating too fast. The thing is I rescued Mischief
from the streets, and she was quite skinny when I found her. Now
she's getting a bit of bulge on her sides, and I tried cutting back on
food and Imp lost weight, but Mischief is still plump. *SIGH*

Anyone else have this problem? Is it normal for a cat to eat too fast
and then puke it up?

I'm still wondering which one of them puked on my bed last year.....

Kristi
Slave to Imp and Mischief
Old January 22nd 04, 01:01 AM
Duke of URL

In om,
Mischief radiated into the WorldWideWait:

[...]

A rescued street cat still recovering? Damned right! In fact, she may
kill herself with the food, if you don't control things.
NO PANIC! I said "may".
You need to give her *one* spoonful at a time, several times a day.
After a few months, go to double-spoonfuls for a month.
Then the regular amount, but stay near when she's eating to monitor.
I'm not joking about her possibly managing to kill herself. My old vet
had to tell a nice lady that her kitty died because she snarfed too
much too fast and jammed her breathing tube.

Old January 22nd 04, 02:04 AM
Gandalf

On 21 Jan 2004 16:25:22 -0800, (Mischief) wrote:

[...]

I used to have to split Lucky's (RB) food in half, and feed it in two portions,
10 or 15 minutes apart. I fed Lucky twice a day, BTW. Otherwise, about 10 to 20%
of the time, she'd vomit it up. With the divided feedings, she virtually *never*
threw up. (Unless she had a hairball, but that was my fault for not brushing her
enough).

My vet figured out the problem almost instantly, preventing costly, possibly
painful, and unnecessary tests.

Lucky was a rescued barn cat, and very, very underfed. I think once a
kitten/young cat lives with nearly constant hunger for any length of time, the
instinct to eat as much as possible is hard for them to 'unlearn'. Can't really
blame them, can you?

~~~~~~
Life without cats would be only marginally worth living.
TC and the unmercifully, relentlessly sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.

- Robert Heinlein

Old January 22nd 04, 03:05 AM
GraceCat

I think it's species wide... the learned results of lean times. My
grandparents *never* threw anything out, foodwise. And she canned enough
to feed the masses, too much for her and my grandfather to eat for the
next year until it was canning season again. So what did she do?
Continued to can until her whole pantry was literally full and the
excess spilled out into a spare bedroom. What she didn't can, she froze
and placed in one of three deep freezers.

Unreal. Slightly skewed but they married in 1934 in the middle of the
Mississippi delta where being dirt poor placed you in middle class.

Grace

"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in

Heaven.
- Robert Heinlein

Old January 22nd 04, 06:41 AM
Steve Touchstone

[...]

I used to have that problem with Rocky. He was feral for 6-8 years,
and when I first starting feeding him he would eat until he got puked,
then come back for more. He doesn't do that anymore, thankfully,
although he still heads for the food bowl whenever he sees any of the
other cats eating. Usually he doesn't eat anything, just wants to
check to see if anyone is getting anything special that he should horn
in on. I put out wet food a couple times a day, and about a hand full
of dry food for grazing during the day.

So guess I'm saying that sometimes they grow out of it once they
realize the food supply isn't going to dry up. On the other hand, I've
heard of some who just eat too fast. I've heard that you can slow them
down by putting balls or something in the food that they have to dig
around - just make sure if you try that to use something that there's
no chance they can swallow.

I have the same problem with one plump cat, Little Bit, one normal
sized cat, Rocky, and lean Sammy. I think the major thing with mine is
that Sammy gets lots of exercise playing, and Little Bit only plays
when forced into it by Sam.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 22nd 04, 05:57 PM
Stacey

"Steve Touchstone" wrote SNIPAnyone else have
this problem? Is it normal for a cat to eat too fast and then puke it up?
Kristi
Slave to Imp and Mischief

Nancy has always been that way, inhale the food then puke it up. It used to
worry us, but she still gains weight and never shows signs of hunger. She's
also been known to go on hunger strikes, going for days without eating.
She's also our picky kitty who decides one day she wants canned food and the
next dry food, then the next day she switches to dog food. Geez.

Stacey (slave to a bullimic cat)

Old January 23rd 04, 04:27 AM
Kris Croft

Our Callie Y throws up every morning after breakfast. Sometines right onto
her plate.
She is a very nervous cat (she's scared of sudden movements and of ceiling
fans). In fact I have washed the same tablecloth three times this week (I
knew I should have put it right away!). I have always assumed it was because
she was born feral and just maybe they never forget that.

Kris

om...

Old January 23rd 04, 11:43 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Kris Croft" wrote in message
link.net...
Our Callie Y throws up every morning after breakfast. Sometines right onto
her plate.
She is a very nervous cat (she's scared of sudden movements and of ceiling
fans). In fact I have washed the same tablecloth three times this week (I
knew I should have put it right away!). I have always assumed it was

because
she was born feral and just maybe they never forget that.

I don't know how you feed your cat, but I guess a cat that was born feral
will eat as much as he she can (or in your case, can't), because she doesn't
know if there will ever be anymore food to get. My cats have dry food as
their main food source. It is always available, i.e. they may eat as much as
they want, whenever they want. "Wet" food is only served when I feel like
wanting to give them a snack, about two or three times a week. The cats are
happy with this. Dry food, available at all times, and, of course, water,
should do the trick for your cat as well.

--
Hans