I had to pass this on

Old April 7th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default I had to pass this on

The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for it
to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
well see for yourself:

http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Old April 7th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Phil P." wrote in message
The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for
it
to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
well see for yourself:

http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

This is a truly remarkable video. I certainly would not want to do this
myself, but it is amazing to see. The expression on that big cat's face is
pure love.

MaryL

Old April 7th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 00:05:20 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for it
to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
well see for yourself:

http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Oh. Big cat. Very cool.
Old April 7th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Wow! I loved that video! Thanks for sharing.

Barb
Old April 8th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cindys" wrote in message
Seeing this video made me think of the movie _Born Free_ (based on a true
story). The Adamsons had been forced to leave Africa (I think because of
George's illness), and had reacclimated Elsa (the lioness) to life in the
wild. When Joy Adamson returned for a visit a year later, she wondered if
Elsa would remember her. In the meantime, Elsa had been reacclimated to

the
wild, found a mate, and had cubs of her own. Not only did Elsa greet Joy
right away, but she brought Joy to see her cubs. And in the movie Joy
commented [something along the lines of]: "I wanted so much to touch the
cubs, but I knew it would be wrong because they were born free." For some
reason, that line brings tears to my eyes every time.

Thank you for sharing this most remarkable video.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

The video hit me hard. I've nursed quite a few sick and injured ferals back
to health- some were in really bad shape. A few of the ones that were in
really bad shape come running when they see me. They do the "figure-eight"
around my feet that I can hardly move. When I put my hand down, they walk
back and forth under it. I tried to chalk it up to just being happy I was
bringing them food- but there are a few that still hung by me even after I
put the food out- a couple even followed me back to my truck. I was a
heatbeat away from taking them home.

I always develop a special bond with sick and injured cats I nursed back to
health- especally when their recovery takes weeks to months. But it seems
like the bond goes both ways.

Its getting harder and harder to return some of the cats, partly because I'm
not entirely convinced some of them want to be returned. The other part is I
don't really want to return some of them. Older ferals are *really* hard to
return. I think many older ferals would like to retire to home living.

My feelings are in constant turmoil.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Phil

Old April 8th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Matthew" wrote in message
I remember this It only confirms they are more than they let on

Ps How are the colonies doing

The colonies are doing a lot better than many shelter cats- Its kitten
season, which means many shelters are killing a lot of cats older than 6-12
months to free up cages for kittens-- which are easier to adopt. Kittens
are easy money for some shelters- fast turnover.

We've stepped up shelter rescues to try to save as many older cats as we
can- but we're rapidly running out of space and fosterers. You've got to see
some of the cats we took that those slaughterhouses were going to kill. I
haven't had time to upload all the pictures- be here are a few:

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Joseph-1y-6m--PP.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Johnny-7-mo-PPM.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Gigi-1yo-PP.jpg (She has "tortitude")

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Eta_Carina.jpg (I've got a feeling this one
will be Number 12!)

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/maple-4yoM-PV.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Candy--1yr-PPM-.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/Peaches-2yr-PPM.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/BigBen-4%20yo-PV.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/cookie2-8mos-PV.jpg They say calicos have
the "demon gene"- look in her eyes!

Phil

Old April 8th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Apr 6, 6:05 pm, "Phil P." wrote:
The woman in the video found this wounded lion that almost died in the
jungle. She took him to her home and took care of him until he got better.
When the lion rebounded, she called a zoo and made some arrangements for

it
to be taken away and to provide a new home, where it could continue to be
cared for . This video was filmed when the woman went to visit the lion at
the zoo after time..The reaction of the lion when he perceives her is ---
well see for yourself:

http://www.telestereo.com/Archivos/video.swf

Thank you Phil that was awesome. We had a confidence crisis over in

rpca and some of us ping'd you but you were probably out and about
scooping up and rehoming the homeless, and I don't mean hoomins....
keep up your good work and if you wanna see how Stinky's Mom
mastered the art of subQ fluid therapy, find her posts re Stinky, who
seems to be benefitting as she is now adept at it.....

I'm glad she got the hang of it- Fluid therapy is easy to master.

I'll take a lookover there first chance I get.

Phil

Old April 9th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Phil P." wrote
My feelings are in constant turmoil.

I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.

Old April 9th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote
My feelings are in constant turmoil.

I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.

Rescue got to me so bad that I quit. But doing nothing felt even worse. So
my retirement lasted about a day.

I you really want to help homeless and feral cats but can't handle the
heartaches that come with rescue, provide holding space for cats before and
after surgery for a rescue group in your area. Usually 2 or 3 days before
and after surgery. Holding space is number 2 on the most needed list. Your
cats never have to come in contact with the cats because they never come out
of the cage and you don't have to release the cats. The group will provide
everything.

Think about it.