cat rant (when is it time to put a cat down?)

Old February 9th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default cat rant (when is it time to put a cat down?)

"Glitter Ninja" wrote in message
Several months ago Spam, my 14 year old, was peeing on the floor near
the catpans so we took him in for a checkup. He has early stage renal
failure and heart problems, is on a special diet and Atenolol for his
heart, and seems to be improved since starting the meds.
Since all the vet trips he occasionally poops in the living room.
During the day when we're up, he goes in the pan as normal without
problems, but overnight he'll poop in the living room and we don't know
why. It's every few days lately, and last night, he apparently peed,
too.
The vet suggested he might be senile, otherwise didn't really know.
I've got a call into the vet again to ask, but I feel like I keep asking
them and they just never have any idea what to do. He's just old, is
the answer.
The thing is, Spam's old, he's inactive, in failing health, and
while he likes to be pet he doesn't ever do anything else. We've spent
a LOT of money on tests and I can't help but think maybe it's just his
time to go.
But putting a cat down because he poops in the living room and costs a
lot is such a crappy thing to do, and unless I know he's suffering then
I would feel like I just put him down because he's inconvenient. I've
asked the vet and she was noncommittal, which I understand, but I could
really use some guidance here.
I just wish I knew what to do.

Stacia

I think what jumped out at me was he likes to be pet but doesn't do anything
else. It's time to take a look at how good his life really is and if there
is anything to do to improve it. If the vet or a 2nd opinion have no
suggestions to improve his lot in life, try confining him in a smaller area
(and easily cleaned area) overnight and see if that helps. If he's still
going outside the box or is miserable being confined then you need to make a
judgment call. Is his life good enough for him or is he trying to tell you
something? I don't know the answer. My recommendation is that if he's still
himself then give him more time. If his personality is getting lost in the
illness then maybe the end is approaching unless help can be found for his
symptoms.

Old February 9th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Judy" writes:

My mom died on Jan. 6.

I'm sorry to hear that. My mom died after a lengthy illness about 8
months ago, so I know how you feel.
I've got a vet appt for Monday. I'm worried because Spam doesn't have
the appetite he had a few days ago, but none of the cats do, so I hope
it's just the stress of the new place. He was doing so well the first
day we moved...

Stacia

Old February 11th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

One of our boys was Dx with CRF on Dec.3.

Blood test #1 end of November
Blood test #2 January 6
Blood test #3 first week of March

All the same test...