herpes and "older" cat

Old December 1st 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

Default herpes and "older" cat

First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
to worry that I won't do that.

I think he may have herpes in his eye. The only symptom he has is
that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. Not tons, but
still not normal. Other than that he seems fine. The eye does not
seem to bother him. He is eating, drinking and acting normal.

The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. I know that
it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. I also know it is quite
contagious. She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
it is. He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
animals.

I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
cleaning my hands. Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
brought home.

I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
old. Is that older?

I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.

Thanks
Old December 1st 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"YvonneD" wrote
I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
old. Is that older?

I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.

Yvonne, it is so common, I think it is only serious if left untreated,
right? The worst outcome is that a cat may have infection so severe that it
loses an eye. I think that takes some neglect, and can be avoided with
regular vet care.

Old December 1st 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

"cyberpurrs" wrote in message

"YvonneD" wrote
I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
old. Is that older?

I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.

Yvonne, it is so common, I think it is only serious if left untreated,
right? The worst outcome is that a cat may have infection so severe that
it loses an eye. I think that takes some neglect, and can be avoided with
regular vet care.

And it isn't normally very serious in older cats as long as they are healthy
otherwise. For cats who've had at least a few years of vaccinations they
should only get a mild case. Your nearly 10 year old should not be at risk
of death from it as long as you make sure he eats. If he is a heavy cat, it
is even more important to make sure you monitor his eating.

Old December 1st 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Nov 30, 9:08*pm, YvonneD wrote:
[...]

Bed very careful his leechings don't get into one of your own mucus
membrains. It can and has happened: the species jump and herpies, you
know...

The Nice Mean Man
Old December 1st 09, 09:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dragoman

The Nice Mean Man wrote:
[...]

Don't spew nonsense, Blue Meanie! You're too mean to be nice, fake
spelling mistakes and all.
(Unless I'm reading too much in that spelling, and he really is
illiterate. But the mistakes make so much perverse sense!)
Old December 1st 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Dragoman" wrote in message
The Nice Mean Man wrote:
[...]

Precisely, Dragoman. I have this asshole kfed for this very reason. Herpes
is not transmitable between cats and humans or vice versa.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1143937AAwrX1d

Old December 4th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

On Dec 1, 2:43*am, The Nice Mean Man wrote:
[...]

The vet said it can only be passed on to other cats, not humans or dogs
Old December 4th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
YvonneD

On Nov 30, 9:20*pm, "cyberpurrs" wrote:
"YvonneD" wrote

I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
in kittens and "older cats". *What is an older cat? *He is 9 1/2 years
old. *Is that older?

I'm nervous and hoped I could get *some more info tonight.

Yvonne, it is so common, I think it is only serious if left untreated,
right? The worst outcome is that a cat may have infection so severe that it
loses an eye. I think that takes some neglect, and can be avoided with
regular vet care.

Thanks. He's been on some ointment for a few days and it looks better
already. I have to do it for 10 days. He hates it, but he is so good
about it.

The vet said he didn't think he caught it from the other cat because
her's is not active. He thinks my cat may have had it dormant in his
system and the stress of a new cat in the house brought it out. Makes
sense.
Old December 8th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Nice Mean Man[_2_]

On Dec 4, 8:57*am, YvonneD wrote:
[...]

The vet said it can only be passed on to other cats, not humans or dogs- Hide quoted text -

He's lying.