OLDER CAT EATING NEW KITTEN'S FOOD

Old December 7th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JGreenfield

Default OLDER CAT EATING NEW KITTEN'S FOOD

I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
(. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
in CT.
Old December 7th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"JGreenfield" wrote in message
I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
(. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
in CT.

I am doing this dance now, but it is the other way around--the kitten is
eating my older cat's food, and my older cat is hiding out. Separating them
at feeding times, with closed doors helps if they are the types that gobble
their food. But my older cat is a grazer, eating even her canned food over
an hour or so. I sometimes wait until the baby is distracted a couple of
floors away to feed the older cat. It is easier for me because I am at home,
but I surely do not have an easy solution beyound separating them.

Old December 7th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JGreenfield

On Dec 7, 12:07*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
[...]

Thanks..actually, the kitten is also trying to eat the older one's
food too...this hasn't been as much of a problem...I appreciate your
advice and the time you took to answer me..good luck with your
situation...Joe (CT)
Old December 7th 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"JGreenfield" wrote
Thanks..actually, the kitten is also trying to eat the older one's
food too...this hasn't been as much of a problem...I appreciate your
advice and the time you took to answer me..good luck with your
situation...Joe (CT)

Thanks, Joe. Actually, I just tried putting my older cat's food under a
box lid until the kitten lost interest, but I went downstairs to brown some
meat for tonight's stew, and when I came back up the kitten had hoovered all
of the canned and half of the dry down and was terrorizing my older cat.
So--I bit the bullet and gathered up the food dishes, washed they all in hot
soapy water (because of course the kitten has a cold from the shelter)
refilled them and the water dish, put the baby downstairs and shut the door,
and am now hoping my older cat will eat while the baby is in "prison." I
have to "bite the bullet" because the kitten cries like a puppy when shut
up. yelp! yelp! yelp! Breaks my heart. Now of course the older cat shows no
interest in the food. lol

Old December 7th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JGreenfield

On Dec 7, 1:34*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"JGreenfield" wrote

[...]

Wow..it's a viscious cycle...and, it's a matter of chemistry..we
can't make them do what we want!..thanks again..Joe
Old December 8th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:48:15 -0800 (PST), JGreenfield
wrote:

suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe

Try picking up Cat in one arm, kitten in other (apart)
or sit them opposite sides of you
feed them treats or pat/brush them
Don't forget the all important hug (cats love affection)
Petzl
Old December 8th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

wrote:

I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
(. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
in CT.

I have a kitten eating a senior cat's low-protein diet. I separate
them at night, the only time I can do this. Separate them as best you
can and put out more litterboxes and water. Try to feed them on a
schedule, excvept, maybe 2-3 times a day, lock the kitten in the
bathroom for a few minutes with all the food she can eat.
Old December 8th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Ross Mc Master

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:07:26 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

I just read your reply to him. 100% the same problem here.

The kitten Spring is gaining weight but not as fast as she should. She
loves the taste of Calorie Control cc38 for some reason.

http://sites.google.com/site/weighingthecats/

Both eating wet food :-))) Kelly Greene Cat health & behaviour 11 December 9th 09 05:21 AM
cat eating dog food Al Cats - misc 0 July 4th 06 10:34 PM
Help Dog eating cat food Craig Bailey Cats - misc 9 June 26th 06 04:26 PM
kitten food for older cat? Ensoul100 Cat health & behaviour 2 August 6th 03 05:19 AM