Canned food

Old November 27th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Canned food

Suddenly, without warning, starcat exclaimed (11/27/2009 12:43 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message

My 13.5 year old cat is going to the vet on Monday because she suddenly
has a good appetite. It's not a bad thing in and of itself, but the
sudden change after years of leaving food behind has me wondering.

In your case, with a sudden increase in appetite, my first thought would be
thyroid or diabetes.

jmc

Yea, that's my thought too

jmc
Old November 28th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"starcat" wrote in
m:

Which brings me to another thought: Is your cat under any unusual
stress lately? Something that might bring on a diarrhea attack? I've
had two cats (including the Persian) who whenever they boarded at the
vet would have very soft poop or diarrhea episodes. Whenever
something upset their applecart, it went straight to their bowels, so
to speak. Maybe something on the days she has an episode is a bit
different than what she's used to - it's just something to think
about.

No. We two live very quietly. Perhaps two or three visitors a year - none
during her recent BM episides nor anything else I can think of that might
have upset her. Trips to the vet are really traumatic for her - she is
terrified of riding in my truck. Interesting idea though.

Emily had a soft BM again yesterday. I tried a can of Natural Life (I think
it was called), supposedly premium food - priced as such - with lamb a few
hours earler. So much for that idea.

I decided I have been mis-describing her BMs. Except for one, to totally
ruin any appetite you may have, unlike soup they are more like chocolate
pudding, or wet cement. I think/hope not as serious.

I had a litter box problem with an earlier cat - she would 'go' over the
edge. I finally got a huge litter box, which cured the problem. I think she
just did not fit comfortably within the smaller box. I still have it -
Emily uses it and a regular sized box. The soft BMs usually go in the
larger box. I thought fearfully about it, but so far Emily has always uses
the litter box for her soft BMs.

Old November 29th 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 28, 6:18*am, KenK wrote:
"starcat" wrote innews:spidnQJ8wuybdZLWnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@earthlink. com:

[...]

Once you have a problem, it is not time to try new foods. Stop all
cat food (dry and canned). Give plain chicken breast. I boil it so
that it stays moist. Shred it a little and feed that for several days.
Let the cat's system recover before asking it to try new food.

When the cat is already sensitive, even the best cat food will upset
it. It's just like with people. If your own system is messed up, even
your normal foods will give you problems. Go back to plain food and
lots of liquids.

Old November 29th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Harmon

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:32:20 -0800 (PST) in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
" wrote,
Once you have a problem, it is not time to try new foods. Stop all
cat food (dry and canned). Give plain chicken breast. I boil it so
that it stays moist. Shred it a little and feed that for several days.

Chicken soup? I've heard that was good when one was ill.

Old November 29th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"KenK" wrote in message

I decided I have been mis-describing her BMs. Except for one, to totally
ruin any appetite you may have, unlike soup they are more like chocolate
pudding, or wet cement. I think/hope not as serious.

That's pretty much exactly like my Persian's poo problem. "Pudding" is a
really good way of describing it. I did take him to the vet several times
during his troubles, which would always seem to resolve and then start up
again. In his case, the diet change worked, but it did take about a week
before I noticed a real difference.

The first place to start is definitely with a visit to the vet, particularly
with an older cat. Even though my cat's troubles have finally resolved (it
took a while too - very frustrating!), the vet was able to determine that
nothing really serious was going on with him.

Old November 29th 09, 08:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On 28 Nov 2009 14:18:51 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...]

Just try a ordinary can of Cat food
Popular name brand from your Super Market
For instance in Australia it's called "Whiskers" meat variety
Sometimes over processed food can give a cat the runs

Raw meat contains enzyme's which help a digestive system work
so once in a while get a small piece from butcher (for human type)
Makes Cat digestive work harder Cut into ¼inch pieces and watch out
--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Old November 29th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, David Harmon exclaimed (11/29/2009 12:04 AM):
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:32:20 -0800 (PST) in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
" wrote,
Once you have a problem, it is not time to try new foods. Stop all
cat food (dry and canned). Give plain chicken breast. I boil it so
that it stays moist. Shred it a little and feed that for several days.

Chicken soup? I've heard that was good when one was ill.

Not for cats. Anything with onion (and it probably does have) is bad
for cats.

jmc
Old December 8th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"sequeena" wrote in message
I feed my cat dry food. It's much better for her teeth as tinned food
begins to rot the teeth after a long period of time.
She is also
fed raw so there is no need for wet

You are an idiot. Cats are carnivores, and do not need the carbohydrates in
dry food.

Old December 8th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"sequeena" wrote in message
I feed my cat dry food. It's much better for her teeth as tinned food
begins to rot the teeth after a long period of time.
She is also
fed raw so there is no need for wet

You are absolutely WRONG. Dry food has been proven to cause multiple
problems in cats

Raw is fine as long as you know what your are doing

Old December 9th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Maynard G. Krebs

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"sequeena" wrote in message
I feed my cat dry food. It's much better for her teeth as tinned food
begins to rot the teeth after a long period of time.
She is also
fed raw so there is no need for wet

You are absolutely WRONG. Dry food has been proven to cause multiple
problems in cats

Can you please provide credible & peer reviewed scientific proof of that
assertion? Can you cite the scientific studies and the veterinary medical
journals that these were published?

Raw is fine as long as you know what your are doing

See above....