Canned food

Old December 10th 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

Default Canned food

"Maynard G. Krebs" wrote in message

Thank you for adding something reasonable to this discussion. One size
does not fit everyone and one kind of cat food does work or not work for
all cats.

Exactly! :-) Ignore the fanatics and their sycophants who make un-provable
claims, than call people profane names if questioned. There are indeed
decent dry cat foods out there. I myself almost bought into the baloney that
*all* dry foods were bad for cats.

Cats have been domesticated for thousands of years, possibly for ten
thousand years or more. Thus it's very difficult to know exactly what is
"natural" anymore about a typical domestic cat. However, it would not be
too dificult to perform very controlled scientific studies comparing
various wet foods vs. various dry foods over long term in cats.

Any health
differences would surely show up in such a study.

But who would fund it as it would be very expensive? It would take a large
number of cats and last for years. You're talking millions of dollars. I'm
sure the feed companies wouldn't want to fund it.

So, if anyone has any
cites to such long term studies of cats showing how "Dry food has been
proven to cause multiple problems in cats" then please provide links to
those studies. Thank you.

Don't hold your breath waiting..............

Old December 10th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"sequeena" wrote in message
I feed my cat dry food. It's much better for her teeth as tinned
food begins to rot the teeth after a long period of time. She is
also fed raw so there is no need for wet

You are absolutely WRONG. Dry food has been proven to cause
multiple problems in cats

Raw is fine as long as you know what
your are doing

Wrong eh? Okay that's your opinion Not going to argue about it
because I know what's better.

LOL
two new idiots come into the group both with less than a couple post Yeah
Like I am going to take the time to re post all the information

So anyone who doesn't agree with you or who questions what you claim are
idiots? Why don't you provide the peer reviewed long term studies proving
what you claim as one person asked for? Googling brings up no such
scientific studies. Three different search engines produced no such studies.

Again I'll mention that not all dry cat foods are loaded with cheap grain
fillers.

Old December 10th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Maynard G. Krebs

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Maynard G. Krebs" wrote in message

There are better quality dry foods and I've been trying to get my cats to
eat them, mixed with a better quality canned food. I bought "Wellness" and
"Solid Gold." These were the best I could find where I live. Unlike the
others at the grocery stores, they're not full of grains, i.e. fillers.

It sounds like you've been reading the labels, which is good. That applies
to buying people food as well.

The dry foods suspected of possibly causing the health problems are the
cheaper dry foods high in cereal grains and carbohydrates.

As compared to the cheap canned foods? It apparently doesn't matter whether
it's canned or dry, but the quality of the food that's important.

Cats are not grain eaters. People feed them exclusively on these cheap
dry foods and they apparently do lack enough animal protein to cause
health issues in cats which are obligate carnivores.

But not all dry foods lack animal protien, nor have high levels of
carbohydrates nor fillers. Nor are all canned foods free of such fillers or
poor protein sources. You have to read the labels.

The carbs from the grains cause obesity and ultimately diabetes as they do
in human beings. Look at the rate of obesity and diabetes in the USA.

Too many calories cause obesity, both in ourselves and our pets.

In the state were I live the diabetes rate is 10% now!!!! Obesity over
30%. Overweight people, over 60%. This is caused by the excessive
carbohydrates in the American diet.

Really? You have credible scientific evidence proving that Americans are
overweight because of excessive carbohydrates in their diet? Americans are
overweight because they eat too much. Pets are overweight because we feed
them too much.

Carbs are used to FATTEN livestock and unfortunately fatten humans and
cats as well.

Too many calories cause obesity! With respect to obesity it doesn't really
matter whether those calories come from carbohydrates, protein or fats. As
far as carbohydrates go, just like protein, they're not all the same, there
are plenty of poor quality simple\empty carbohydrates like sugar, high
fructose syrup, etc., that one (humans) should limit intake. However,
there are many high quality complex carbohydrates like whole grain & wheat
breads, pasta's, potatoes, fruit, etc.. Even an apple is high in
carbohydrates, at about 95%. Bananas come in at about 92% carbohydrates.
Potatoes (white) come in at about 86% carbohydrates and 14% protein. I
doubt that a diet which include apples, bananas or similar fruit consumption
would lead to obesity in humans.

Anecdotally, I personally follow a low fat, high carbohydrate diet, of 15%
protein, 15% fat and 70% carbohydrate. I'm a 6' 2" 58 year od man and weigh
160 lbs, down from a peak of 252 lbs. I lost that weight over the course of
a year or so and I've maintained my current weight for 5 years. My
cholesterol level fell from about 242 down to about 140! From a higher risk
of diabetes and heart disease to a very low risk. My doctor is delighted!
Now most Americans would find the 15% fat intake very difficult to maintain
because they're used to such a high level fat intake of 40-45%, but even
getting it down to 30-35% would help a lot. Keep in mind that a gram of
fat has about 9 calories vs. a gram of protein or carbohydrate which come in
at about 4.5 calories. So ounce for ounce fat has twice the calories of
protein or carbohydrates. That's one reason I like the low fat regime, I
get a lot more volume of food for the buck so to speak. However, your
mileage may vary! Any food that has a high fat content will also have a
high calorie content. However, the corollary of a low fat content does not
necessarily mean low calorie, because many low fat food items are often
loaded up with other poor contents like high fructose sugars raising there
calorie levels considerably. You have to read the labels to find out! Just
like you need to do when choosing cat food. When people ask how I lost my
weight I tell them I lost it by paying attention!

After doing a lot of research on cats and grains and proteins.... I've
decided to get them on a diet of high quality canned cat food mixed with
dry food like Wellness and Solid Gold.

A mix of high quality canned food & high quality dry food sounds most
reasonable. However, the protein percentage in Wellness seems a bit low at
36% as well as Solid Gold at 34%. These numbers are typical of many dry cat
foods.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_w...h_chicken.html
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...uct=4&code=130

You might want to consider EVO dry cat food which comes in at over 50+%
protein and no grain fillers:

http://www.evopet.com/products/defau...nel=na&id=1500

EVO can be a bit hard to find in grocery stores and you'll likely have to go
to a specialty pet store or order online. To find a seller near you go
he

http://www.evopet.com/where-to-buy/

EVO also has a nice food comparison tool at:

http://www.evopet.com/tools/comparison.asp

I'm not necessarily promoting EVO because there are other dry cat food
products out there with high protein levels, but I cannot recall there names
at the moment. I'm only pointing out that there are very good, high quality
dry cat foods out there that should be very healthy for our cats. You
shouldn't be ashamed, embarrassed or have any need to defend yourself from
"canned\raw food" extremists if you feed you cat with one of those high
quaility dry foods.

This is basically the diet the vet I worked for years ago was
recommending. It's close to the diet I fed my cats years ago. Vets as
long ago as the early 70s suspected the dry foods loaded with cheap grains
(fillers) were associated with obesity, diabetes, kidney disease in cats -
and obesity and diabetes in dogs. These problems were showing up faster
in cats than in dogs back then. But dogs are more omnivorous than cats.

A cheap poor diet will likely result in long term poor health regardless of
whether it's canned or dry.