Special treats for all tonight

Old March 19th 11, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Special treats for all tonight

"Pat" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

Dumpster diving seems a little extreme. You could probably have asked
for
some to-go boxes and taken a few items with you. But I'm glad the cats
benefitted

There was another oriental restaurant in town (closed a few years ago)
where I knew the owners fairly well, and they would load the leftovers
right into my containers at the end of the night. I don't think the
place we ate last night would do that ;(.

We checked the configuration of the existing dumpster contents before
we left after dinner, so I would know which bag contained the fresh
discards. Thankfully, the bin was nearly full, and diving was not
required .

I'm sorry, but tearing open garbage bags to forage for (cat) food in a
dumpster still qualifies as dumpster diving AFAIK. And that's kind of
disgusting.

Jill

Old March 19th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

jmcquown wrote:

I'm sorry, but tearing open garbage bags to forage for (cat) food in a
dumpster still qualifies as dumpster diving AFAIK. *And that's kind of
disgusting.

The amount of food thrown away is what's truly disgusting.

As for the "kind of disgusting" acts necessary to retrieve some of the
waste, I suggest that you never engage in them - no matter how hungry
you and/or Persia might be - lest you become too overwhelmed with
disgust.

Old March 19th 11, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Mar 19, 9:45*am, Pat wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
I'm sorry, but tearing open garbage bags to forage for (cat) food in a
dumpster still qualifies as dumpster diving AFAIK. *And that's kind of
disgusting.

The amount of food thrown away is what's truly disgusting.

As for the "kind of disgusting" acts necessary to retrieve some of the
waste, I suggest that you never engage in them - no matter how hungry
you and/or Persia might be - lest you become too overwhelmed with
disgust.

MileHigh salute to you and Dave for your trouble in obtaining oriental
food
treats for all your cat family. Not to diss your methods but I would
be more
organized and bolder. Stepladder in bed of my truck (for use if
necessary)
I'd be parked at the specified time (which you *know* now when their
garbage bag(s) get dumped out the back door) and intercept the hired
help
carrying said bag(s) and offer to dump it for them; this failing, just
stand
and watch which end of dumpster they put it in; and after said hired
help
goes back in, retreival of the loot.
Frankly, I hate oriental food except Japanese (and still draw the line
at their
raw tuna sushi) and if anyone was *giving* it away, would not bother
to go
get it for myself.
Due to forces beyond our control, times are worse than tough
nationwide
and that is why the food cops (inspectors) are fewer and farther
between
than before so many were laid off or canned here, but even our law
enforcement
street cops can't be bothered with hassling food joints of any kind
for sending
truckloads of leftovers to our many homeless *hoomin* shelters. People
and
animals freeze to death outside in winter (never gave this a thought
in FL)
and me and Snaggly do not live on a gated island community. I live in
a huge
condo complex where there are plenty of rowdy residents. It is not an
uncommon
sight in our urban area to see *hoomins* dumpster diving back of
bakeries and
fast food joints looking for food for themselves and their kids. Yeah,
their kids.
I do not diss anyone living in said gated island community. Rethink
"disgusting"
which I am not saying here what my definition is. But MileHigh is a
tough,
non-touristy town, and what fits that definition elsewhere is called
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ
in MileHigh.
Old March 19th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

I'm sorry, but tearing open garbage bags to forage for (cat) food in a
dumpster still qualifies as dumpster diving AFAIK. And that's kind of
disgusting.

The amount of food thrown away is what's truly disgusting.

Pat, pat, pat.

I agree, it's horrific. But health department regulations in many states
don't let them do anything else with the leftover food. Maybe you read my
post about the massive amounts of baked potatoes and rolls they tossed out
when I worked at Red Lobster. I still say ask for some before they throw it
out rather than wait until they close and dig through the trash. I've also
never eaten Asian food that didn't have some sort of sauce on it. Soy or
teriyaki, hoisin. That can't be good for cats. You're trying to tell me
the cats eat this stuff?

As for the "kind of disgusting" acts necessary to retrieve some of the
waste, I suggest that you never engage in them - no matter how hungry
you and/or Persia might be - lest you become too overwhelmed with
disgust.

I don't feed Persia people food. Try going to the food bank. Or a local
church. There are lots of organizations that will give you food (some even
pet food). Trust me, I won't ever be digging through trash cans outside
restaurants.

Jill

Old March 19th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

hopitus wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ

Here's one especially for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQzw_Ax8Cw

Old March 19th 11, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Kajikit wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:04:36 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
Lucky cats. :-)

A number of years ago Albertsons had a store by a creek. At closing time,
the bakery dumped excess baked goods into the creek where hundreds of
ducks waited each evening for the handout. I believe the law has changed
since then. If I remember correctly, restaurants now have left over food
picked up by charities. I'll have to research this to see what the
present law is.

I think it varies by state and local health department regulations. When I
worked as a server (30 years ago) the restaurant wasn't allowed to donate
excess food to homeless shelters or soup kitchens (or even give the food to
employees.) Personally, if I didn't know where my next meal was coming from
I'd have been grateful for day old bread.

Jill

I don't know about restaurants... but the church's feeding program
gets leftover bread and bagels and baked goods donated by Panera
Bread. Somebody from the church goes over there after closing time to
pick them up. Then we use as much as we need to feed 75-100 for lunch
and take the rest to another feeding program who serves dinner.

That makes good sense. In today's economy, with so many people homeless
through no fault of their own, the idea of destroying unsold leftover
food strikes me as downright immoral!!!
Old March 19th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I suppose it depends upon how hungry one is! Most of us would balk at
eating leftovers from a stranger's plate, but I suspect our perceptions
might change drastically if we were really hungry and could not afford
to buy food.
Old March 19th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I'm sorry, but tearing open garbage bags to forage for (cat) food in a
dumpster still qualifies as dumpster diving AFAIK. And that's kind of
disgusting.

The amount of food thrown away is what's truly disgusting.

As for the "kind of disgusting" acts necessary to retrieve some of the
waste, I suggest that you never engage in them - no matter how hungry
you and/or Persia might be - lest you become too overwhelmed with
disgust.

It's astonishing how perceptions can change when one is confronted with
GENUINE hunger! (Even in "civilized" countries, people have been known
to trap and eat rats when faced with genuine starvation.)

Old March 19th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

"Pat" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

From your mouth to God's ear! (But plenty of people nowadays do - for
them it beats starving.)
Old March 19th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
[...]

I agree! We always get an assortment of pasta and pizza, and sometimes a
chicken or meat dish from the restaurant who helps us. Our "clients" enjoy
the food, and it doesn't go to waste.

Joy