New carpet and cancer

Old July 17th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

Default New carpet and cancer

Seems I have heard somewhere that kitties can get cancer from
something in new carpet. We are going to begin building a new home
and I would like to know what to avoid. Is there a certain carpet
treatment to avoid? A certain chemical? Any help will be greatly
appreciated!
Sharon
Old July 17th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon wrote:

Seems I have heard somewhere that kitties can get cancer from
something in new carpet. We are going to begin building a new home
and I would like to know what to avoid. Is there a certain carpet
treatment to avoid? A certain chemical? Any help will be greatly
appreciated!

I haven't heard that, but I have heard that flame retardants in materials
such as carpeting, uphostery, blankets and other cloth items have been
shown to cause hyperthyroidism in pets. It would be equally dangerous
to humans, but we generally don't sleep on the floor or get our faces
into the uphostery, at least not as often as cats and dogs do.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 18th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Sharon wrote:
treatment to avoid? A certain chemical? Any help will be greatly
appreciated!

I would suggest doing hard floors, whatever your budget allows. They are
way cleaner than carpet and last forever. Stained concrete looks fantastic!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 19th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Victor Martinez wrote:
Sharon wrote:
treatment to avoid? A certain chemical? Any help will be greatly
appreciated!

I would suggest doing hard floors, whatever your budget allows. They are
way cleaner than carpet and last forever. Stained concrete looks fantastic!

Tile floors can be very nice, too - especially nowadays, when some tile
is patterned like wood parquet. (If I had my 'druthers I'd use that -
it looks like hardwood, but is easier to care for and less expensive.)
You can always use area rugs if you don't like the bare-floor look, but
it's a lot easier to clean floor than carpet (especially if you have
long-hair cats who are prone to chucking up hairballs).

Old July 22nd 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

hopitus wrote:
If you don't like this website...plenty more.

http://www.inspiredliving.com/airpur...c-carpets2.htm

Don't kill the messenger.

Thank you so much for warning us!
Best wishes,