A lasting tribute to a companion and friend

Old August 8th 12, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Corey

Default A lasting tribute to a companion and friend

Recently I lost my friend and companion Baxter. He was a domestic
short hair cat I found shivering in the rain 12 years ago. He was just
a kitten and he was so skinny his ribs were showing. My wife nursed
him back to health and he became one of the family. He was invaluable
to me after I lost my wife to cancer. Baxter developed a tumor a while
back and I had to make the hard decision to end his suffering. I like
to think he's waiting for me on the rainbow bridge. This is a tribute
to my friend, the best companion I could ask for. Please pray for him.

Baxter's picture

http://bayimg.com/CAagiAaeP
Old August 9th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default A lasting tribute to a companion and friend DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK

Old August 27th 12, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene[_5_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
I don't think there is any problem with simply opening email. The problem
comes with opening certain links or zip files contained within the email
(or
links such as the one associated with the OP's message, where some unknown
person has sent a link to a suspicious source). I received email last
week
from a classmate--someone I had not heard from for several years. There
was
no message except a link to something on the Internet. I did not click on
it. Instead, I contacted her by typing her address manually (*not* by
using
"reply"). Just as I suspected, she had not sent the message. Someone (or
"some thing") has harvested her email addresses. So, I deleted the file
and
did not click on the link. When it comes to newsgroups, I consider it
safe
to open a message but *not* to click on certain links within those
messages
(similar to email, which is what you referenced).

MaryL

There you go! Your entire post was worth repeating. As for myself, I never
click on any link I get in email until I check with the friend who sent it.
More than 50% of the time it was from a Spammer who hacked their email
account password. Those with Yahoo accounts seem especially vulnerable.

I'm also careful what I download from the net and run my anti-scumware over
everything before executing it.

Old August 28th 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

Yes. IOW, you use your common sense to avoid problems. I do much the
same thing. When there is something that doesn't, "smell good", I just
delete it and move on. But there are many who don't have a very good,
"sense of smell", and these are subject to many scams. So I understand
how the scammers can make a living. I do wonder how they can profit
from just creating viruses and disseminating them to the computing
public, however. Do they own stock in computer repair facilities, or
are they just teenagers impressed with their own abilities?

There are professional computer hackers now, some of them work for
organized crime some of them work for foreign governments like China or
Pakistan. They might like to turn your computer into a bot that
they can use for their own ends (i.e. to hack other computers) or to try
to get the necessary information off of your computer to commit identity
theft or steal your credit card information or take over your email
account (which has happened to me).

Old August 28th 12, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

[...]

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

One thing everyone can do is to replace the signature on the back of your
cred cards with the words, "Photo ID required". Then, carry a good photo ID,
such as a passport with you at all times when you are going to use any of
your credit cards. This was recommended to be by a lawyer, and it is a very
good idea. (now, if I could just get storekeepers to read it and go by it
when I am not there)

Old August 29th 12, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

[...]

Bill, credit card fraud is mostly on-line now. They just pretend to be the
owner of the credit card and buy stuff off the internet and have it sent to
a drop house. It's also possible that once they have your credit
card information they can manufacture their own fakes as well. They can
make a legitimate credit card that looks exactly like the one in your
wallet. There are underground websites where you can buy someone's complete
credit card information.

Old August 29th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

The problem with this for me is that apart from my pass for work I have no
Photo ID. My driving licence is from before they had a photo on them. I've
never possessed a Passport as I don't travel. I don't know where to go to
get a valid photo ID.

Can you renew your driver's license? In the US, we're required to do so
every 4 or 5 years. If someone's appearance has changed, they will probably
get a new photo taken, and the info updated. I don't think we're allowed
to update our license voluntarily, so I don't know if that's an option for
you.

Also, many (if not all) US states have a state ID card. This is optional,
and is used mostly by people who don't drive, but need a picture ID with
valid info. Maybe your area offers something like that?

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old August 29th 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes. I have a blind friend who has a state ID card with photo. Obviously,
she does not have a driver's license, but there are times when she needs
photo identification. I would guess that there are similar arrangements in
other countries.

MaryL

Old August 30th 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

In article , Bastette
wrote:
Judith Latham wrote:

The problem with this for me is that apart from my pass for work I
have no Photo ID. My driving licence is from before they had a photo
on them. I've never possessed a Passport as I don't travel. I don't
know where to go to get a valid photo ID.

Can you renew your driver's license? In the US, we're required to do so
every 4 or 5 years. If someone's appearance has changed, they will
probably get a new photo taken, and the info updated. I don't think
we're allowed to update our license voluntarily, so I don't know if
that's an option for you.

Also, many (if not all) US states have a state ID card. This is optional,
and is used mostly by people who don't drive, but need a picture ID with
valid info. Maybe your area offers something like that?

You have to change your drivers license if you move home or change your
namebut as we've lived here since 1982 and I've been married since 1975 I
haven't had to do that. I suppose I should look into changing it (it would
probably cost me money but if it wasn't too much it might be well worth
it.) I think also that you have to have the forms signed by a magistrate
or something. I don't know of any other way to get photo ID.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's interesting. It sounds like your driver's licenses are basically
permanent unless you move or have a name change. Is that correct? In the
U.S., we have to renew our licenses every few years. State laws vary with
regard to the amount of time between renewals, but I think it averages about
7 years. The expiration year will be listed on the license, and the license
expires on the applicant's birthday in that year. Part of the reason that
states require routine renewals is so they can update photos on the license
and also administer new vision tests. I live in Texas, and we can renew
online or over the phone once, but I think it is the next renewal where we
need to renew in person and get a new photo and vision test. Those over age
85 must take the vision test with every renewal. Incidentally (and
off-topic, but important), there is also a "check off" box on the
application where we can indicate a desire to participate in organ donation.
That permission, with signature, will appear on the license.

MaryL

Old August 30th 12, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

You have to change your drivers license if you move home or change your
namebut as we've lived here since 1982 and I've been married since 1975 I
haven't had to do that. I suppose I should look into changing it (it would
probably cost me money but if it wasn't too much it might be well worth
it.) I think also that you have to have the forms signed by a magistrate
or something. I don't know of any other way to get photo ID.

Everyone needs a photo ID these days to do normal business. If you asked
about getting a new license with a photo, you probably won't be the first.