Morning routines

Old August 26th 12, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Morning routines

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Amber and Tiger are creatures of habit. They have a series of morning
routines that rarely changes. When I get up I tell Amber to wait on the
bed for her hug (she usually sleeps on my bed). I go upstairs (that's
where the living room/kitchen is) and Tiger meets me at the top of the
stairs. After a few chores, I meet Tiger next to his cat tree where he
jumps up on the step stool, waiting for me to pick him up to the first
level. There I use the zoom groom to give him a good brushing to remove
loose hair. Then it's back downstairs to give Amber a long hug while I
tell her what a good girl she is and how beautiful she is. By then
Tiger is usually on the bed waiting for his long hug while I tell him
what a good boy he is and how beautiful he is. Then it's back upstairs
to give them their breakfast. After breakfast Amber retires to her
window seat and Tiger goes downstairs to "crash" under my bed.

----------------
Boyfies morning routine in the early hours (he isn't allowed on my bed)
is to listen outside my bedroom for my breathing to change in case I woke
up and then insist it's breakfast time.
I actually don't mind because it means his health is good and he has a
good appetite.
Tweed

Waffles and Pickles have IAMs Weight Control kibble available all the
time, so they don't get breakfast. They also don't seem to care when I
get up. Once I'm up, though, Waffles immediately rushes to the kitchen for
treats (which are actually Friskies), while Pickles gallops into the
living room for her morning skritches and tummy-rub. This routine is
basically repeated at mealtimes and at bedtime. ;-)

I'm a bit scared about kibble for boys, so Boyfie only gets a little bit of
it at 10pm - just so he doesn't starve during the night, you understand.
He gets wet food for breakfast and teatime.
Tweed

Old August 27th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

. ..

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
[...]

I've found that a great many doctors, both human and vet, have one or two
ailments or problems that they're over-aware of, sometimes to the point of
being obsessed. My vet's obsessions are teeth and fleas. Because of the
teeth obsession, she thinks all cats should be fed kibble. Because of her
flea obsession, she insisted that the wound Nanki-Poo (RB) had on the back
of his neck was the result of scratching flea bites, in spite of the fact
that neither of my cats had had fleas for years. I would know if they did,
because fleas like me.

Joy

Old August 27th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

. ..

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's funny we attribute times for feeding cats with breakfast,
dinner, supper, tea time. I'm pretty sure they'd eat whenever they
could if they were allowed to.

For a while, Persia was overweight so I was instructed to feed her small
amounts of kibble twice a day. Now I free feed her the kibble but I
dole out the canned food three times a day.

Jill
Old August 27th 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
[...]

My son-in-law had established feeding cats with the cats he had before he
married my daughter. They still stick to those times with their current
cats, since the others went to the bridge. They get food in the morning,
and again in the evening, but rather late. My sil likes to watch the 11:00
news, but has no interest in sports, so when the sports part comes on, he
gets up and feeds the cats. I don't know about the current cats, but with
the previous ones, they had to be very careful about saying the word
"sports" during the day, as that caused a stampede to the kitchen, and some
very disgruntled cats if they didn't get fed then.

Joy

Old August 27th 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

My son-in-law had established feeding cats with the cats he had before he
married my daughter. They still stick to those times with their current
cats, since the others went to the bridge. They get food in the morning,
and again in the evening, but rather late. My sil likes to watch the 11:00
news, but has no interest in sports, so when the sports part comes on, he
gets up and feeds the cats. I don't know about the current cats, but with
the previous ones, they had to be very careful about saying the word
"sports" during the day, as that caused a stampede to the kitchen, and some
very disgruntled cats if they didn't get fed then.

That's hilarious! I guess it's good that he didn't like sports, then,
because otherwise it would be harder not to talk about it.

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old August 29th 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I think it's funny we attribute times for feeding cats with breakfast,
dinner, supper, tea time. I'm pretty sure they'd eat whenever they could
if they were allowed to.

Yes they would, if they were allowed to. My boy will never be allowed to
free feed (he'd eat it all and get obese)
I've taken control of his diet because he won't do it himself. He would eat
everything he could, but ir's not good for him, is it?
I've taken advice from my vets about Boyfie's appetite. He's had all the
tests known to man and vets.
There is nothing wrong with him. He is greedy. I knew this before but
wanted it confirmed.

Old August 29th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I think it's funny we attribute times for feeding cats with breakfast,
dinner, supper, tea time. I'm pretty sure they'd eat whenever they could
if they were allowed to.

Yes they would, if they were allowed to. My boy will never be allowed to
free feed (he'd eat it all and get obese)
I've taken control of his diet because he won't do it himself. He would
eat everything he could, but ir's not good for him, is it?
I've taken advice from my vets about Boyfie's appetite. He's had all the
tests known to man and vets.
There is nothing wrong with him. He is greedy. I knew this before but
wanted it confirmed.

Some cats can free feed, and some can't. Mine go for hours without ever
going near the food.

My daughter and her husband once had two cats. One was a pig, and the other
was a nibbler. In order to keep the pig from becoming morbidly obese and
keep the nibbler from starving, they cut a hole in a box, turned it upside
down and put the food inside. The nibbler could fit through the hole, but
the pig couldn't. That worked so well that eventually the pig lost enough
weight that she could fit through the hole as well. After that, I'm not
sure what they did.

Joy

Old August 29th 12, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

My daughter and her husband once had two cats. One was a pig, and the other
was a nibbler. In order to keep the pig from becoming morbidly obese and
keep the nibbler from starving, they cut a hole in a box, turned it upside
down and put the food inside. The nibbler could fit through the hole, but
the pig couldn't. That worked so well that eventually the pig lost enough
weight that she could fit through the hole as well. After that, I'm not
sure what they did.

It would work like a thermostat. As she lost weight, she'd be able to get
into the other cat's food. Then if she started to gain again, she wouldn't
be able to fit, and would start losing again. I guess that would be OK if
there wasn't another cat involved (whose weight would also go up and down
in an opposite pattern).

Also, yo-yo'ing weight is very bad for humans, but I don't know about cats.

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old August 29th 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

I think it's funny we attribute times for feeding cats with breakfast,
dinner, supper, tea time. I'm pretty sure they'd eat whenever they could
if they were allowed to.

Yes they would, if they were allowed to. My boy will never be allowed to
free feed (he'd eat it all and get obese)
I've taken control of his diet because he won't do it himself. He would eat
everything he could, but ir's not good for him, is it?
I've taken advice from my vets about Boyfie's appetite. He's had all the
tests known to man and vets.
There is nothing wrong with him. He is greedy. I knew this before but
wanted it confirmed.

I guess I've been fortunate - all my cats have adapted well to free
feeding. (Even Patches, who after three years of being a stray
freeloading on neighbors' largesse, promptly slimmed down to normal
proportions once he realized there would always be food in his dish when
he was hungry.)
Old August 30th 12, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Wayne Mitchell

"Joy" wrote:

Some cats can free feed, and some can't.

And that can change. Heidi was the first cat I ever had that I couldn't
free feed. She came to me an emaciated waif, and once she regained her
health (and stopped growing), she ballooned to 14 lbs. So I put the two
of them on four meals a day and got her back down to 11½ lbs -- where
she has a well-defined waistline. Over the years, I've gradually
increased the amount of time that the food is left out, until now I am
free-feeding once again -- and Heidi is not gaining weight.
--

Wayne M.