What weird things does your cat eat?

Old August 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default What weird things does your cat eat?

On 8/29/2012 7:08 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
Okay, we all know cats are a little strange. John's cat, Precious,
sneaked up and stole a Brussels sprout off his dinner plate!
I don't know if Persia would be interested in Brussels sprouts. She does
beg for chips/crisps or crackers if I'm snacking. She once stole a
hamburger patty right off the bun. And cheese... oh, she likes cheese.
How about your cats?

Years ago, we had some guest around for coffee. We had some torrone
(Italian nougat-like sweet) from the deli over the road. So we cut it
up and everyone got a bit. One guest put hers down on a plate on the
floor under her chair. Suddenly our Zeke shot across the room, grabbed
the torrone and vanished into the next room with it like a black furry
rocket.

It turned up six months later underneath the piano, with only a few
pointy little toothmarks in it.

When Persia first came to live with me (2001) I had a bowl with wrapped
butterscotch candies on a table. She'd steal them. She didn't eat
them; she played with them. Once I had to have the element in the
electric oven replaced. When the repairman moved the stove away from
the wall to unplug it, what did he find? Half a dozen butterscotch
candies

Jill
Old August 30th 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

Okay, we all know cats are a little strange. John's cat, Precious,
sneaked up and stole a Brussels sprout off his dinner plate!
I don't know if Persia would be interested in Brussels sprouts. She does
beg for chips/crisps or crackers if I'm snacking. She once stole a
hamburger patty right off the bun. And cheese... oh, she likes cheese.
How about your cats?

Years ago, we had some guest around for coffee. We had some torrone
(Italian nougat-like sweet) from the deli over the road. So we cut it
up and everyone got a bit. One guest put hers down on a plate on the
floor under her chair. Suddenly our Zeke shot across the room, grabbed
the torrone and vanished into the next room with it like a black furry
rocket.

It turned up six months later underneath the piano, with only a few
pointy little toothmarks in it.

Apparently it didn't taste as good as it looked. I can imagine the scene,
as he bit into it and then... YECCH. Like Takayuki's cat Buster when he
tasted the yogurt - shocking!

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico
Old August 30th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/29/2012 7:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
Jack Campin wrote:

[...]

I don't blame Buster... I don't like yogurt, either Don't understand
the absolute fascination with it. It seems like every third television
commercial I see is for some kind of yogurt. I do sometimes substitute
plain yogurt in place of sour cream in cooking. But I wouldn't eat a
tub of sour cream, either. LOL

Jill
Old September 4th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Nadia N. wrote:

Kotyo goes crazy for cucumber peels. He likes the cucumber itself as
well, but the peel is his favourite.

But maybe he has to stay off the cucumber for now? Just to make sure he
doesn't have any more perforations in his trachea? :-O

--
Joyce
Old September 4th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Bastette wrote:
Nadia N. wrote:

Kotyo goes crazy for cucumber peels. He likes the cucumber itself as
well, but the peel is his favourite.

But maybe he has to stay off the cucumber for now? Just to make sure he
doesn't have any more perforations in his trachea? :-O

Well, it wasn't really the cucumber that caused the problem. It was the
tube that they used when they put him under anesthesia for his surgery.
I googled lots and lots about tracheal perforation since this happened,
and apparently it is very rare, but it does happen sometimes. It was
just our luck that it happened to him.

He shouldn't have a problem eating cucumber, although we haven't given
him any yet :-) He has been getting shrimpies instead, though, so he's
not exactly being deprived of treats :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old September 5th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Nadia N. wrote:

Bastette wrote:

But maybe he has to stay off the cucumber for now? Just to make sure he
doesn't have any more perforations in his trachea? :-O

Well, it wasn't really the cucumber that caused the problem. It was the
tube that they used when they put him under anesthesia for his surgery.
I googled lots and lots about tracheal perforation since this happened,
and apparently it is very rare, but it does happen sometimes. It was
just our luck that it happened to him.

He shouldn't have a problem eating cucumber, although we haven't given
him any yet :-) He has been getting shrimpies instead, though, so he's
not exactly being deprived of treats :-)

Poor baby, stuck eating shrimpies - a poor substitute for cucumber.

My cat Smudge (RB), soon after being adopted (so I hadn't yet learned
what she was capable of) raided my grocery bag one day before I had
a chance to put stuff away. The bag contained (among other things) a
package of chicken and a block of cheddar cheese, which she bypassed in
favor of some English muffins. She was a carb-hound! I know that most
cats have some weird food they just love, but Smudge actually *preferred*
bread over normal cat fare, you know, like meat.

She also raided the pantry shelves, knocked down entire bags of uncooked
pasta and rice, jumped down and tore the bags open to chomp on the bounty.
Scattering rice and elbow macaroni all over the floor, of course. I had
to rearrange the food items so that anything she might want to get at was
inaccessible to her.

Another time, I had friends over for dinner, and they brought a loaf of
fancy bread, which they put on the kitchen counter. I was out on the
deck, futzing around with the charcoal grill, when suddenly from inside
I heard, "OMG, Joyce - Smudge is attacking the bread!!"

--
Joyce

Mother teach me to walk again
Milk and honey, so intoxicating -- Sarah McLaughlin
Old September 5th 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Bastette wrote:
Poor baby, stuck eating shrimpies - a poor substitute for cucumber.

Yeah, he's got such a hard lot in life, doesn't he?

[...]

Hehehe. Smudge sounds like quite a character.

The monster is also a carb hound and goes crazy for uncooked pasta, but
he's never attacked bread yet. That's probably because he is a
well-behaved little gentleman and wouldn't dream of doing such naughty
things. Like for example raiding the cabinet where his dry food was
kept, chewing huge holes in the bag and helping himself to the food -
all that while he had a full bowl of the same food in the other room...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old September 6th 12, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Nadia N. wrote:
He shouldn't have a problem eating cucumber, although we haven't given
him any yet :-) He has been getting shrimpies instead, though, so he's
not exactly being deprived of treats :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

I'll bet if you asked him he would say he's deprived and should have
shrinpies and cucumber.

Judith

Oh yes, I'm sure of it. He is the most patient, tolerant, long-suffering
cat in the world. Or so he'd tell you if you asked. Just don't ask his
vets how he behaves in the examining room :-)

I might serve him shrimpies with a cucumber salad for his birthday next
year. This year he was still sick and full of holes and tubes on his
birthday, but next year, if he's doing ok, he'll have a major cucumber
and shrimp feast.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Two weird things Baha via CatKB.com Cat anecdotes 3 October 14th 07 11:56 PM
Things to do... CatNipped Cat anecdotes 8 September 4th 07 02:00 PM
A few things Cheryl Cat anecdotes 22 May 16th 04 10:22 PM
I need to know some things Mike Cat health & behaviour 9 November 11th 03 07:36 AM