Feline Vitamin recommendations

Old November 12th 04, 09:00 AM
Molson

Default Feline Vitamin recommendations

In an earlier post I asked about Feline AIDS. The vet has been helpful in
keeping him comfortable and happy but has recommended vitamin supplements in
addition to his medication, specifically "B" vitamins.
In a nut shell, the vet charges too much as do the local pet shops (Japan)
for vitamins and the internet boggles my mind on selection.
That said, is there a kick ass vitamin supplement for kitties that they will
like (That I can Order ON LINE) and won't deplete the beer allowance my wife
gives me?
TIA

Old November 12th 04, 10:27 PM
~*Connie*~

buy human vitamins. they are the same thing.
I would also highly recommend vitamin c

Old November 13th 04, 01:35 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Molson" wrote in message
In an earlier post I asked about Feline AIDS. The vet has been helpful in
keeping him comfortable and happy but has recommended vitamin supplements

in
addition to his medication, specifically "B" vitamins.
In a nut shell, the vet charges too much as do the local pet shops (Japan)
for vitamins and the internet boggles my mind on selection.
That said, is there a kick ass vitamin supplement for kitties that they

will
like (That I can Order ON LINE) and won't deplete the beer allowance my

wife
gives me?
TIA

I can't help with the best vitamin combination, amounts, or otherwise, but
if you can use human vitamins Costco in Japan is an excellent place to get
them more cheaply. They don't have as many as available at Costco in the US
or Canada, but they have B-complex, C, E, and a multi-vitamin, I think. If
you're nowhere near a Costco or don't have a membership, I'd be happy to
pick some up and ship them to you. With the post office now doing
Takkyubin-type service, it would still be cheaper than getting them at some
over-priced Japanese store. I'm in Hyogo, btw, so if you're anywhere near
Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto, you're welcome to tag along to see the selection yourself.

I've been pretty frustrated with the vet care offered to me here in Japan.
I don't have a cat (mine is safely back in Canada with my mother) here but
have had two foster cats for short periods of time. The first one had a
vaginal infection which the vet wanted to wait to treat--it, of course, only
got worse and required double the amount of time to treat. With the second
cat, I wanted to have him fixed at 4 months and the vet insisted it was too
young, giving us out-dated information about early-neutering. It's all very
frustrating.

rona

Old November 13th 04, 11:30 AM
Molson

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message
"Molson" wrote in message
[...]

People vitamins OK? Go figure. I suppose what I meant was what is the best
tuna flavor... well you know, kitty vitamins. I can't believe we cut a
flintstone vitamin into quarters and have Frenchie choke it down. But if
that is it, great.
Thanks for the offer, but we're on Okinawa .
Japanese vets... arrghh! We went through 3 before we settled with the one
we have now. Yes, Army vet service is available but ... NO. The Japanese vet
we have now is empathetic to our kitty's well being, and is only vague when
we plied him about the drugs he was using. They mean well but... We're well
over Ju Man Yen in office visits and drugs.

Old November 15th 04, 09:05 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Molson" wrote in message
People vitamins OK? Go figure. I suppose what I meant was what is the best
tuna flavor... well you know, kitty vitamins. I can't believe we cut a
flintstone vitamin into quarters and have Frenchie choke it down. But if
that is it, great.
Thanks for the offer, but we're on Okinawa .
Japanese vets... arrghh! We went through 3 before we settled with the one
we have now. Yes, Army vet service is available but ... NO. The Japanese

vet
we have now is empathetic to our kitty's well being, and is only vague

when
we plied him about the drugs he was using. They mean well but... We're

well
over Ju Man Yen in office visits and drugs.

If you have an APO/FPO address, you can get mail order from
www.drsfostersmith.com . I like the company, and have never had any
problems from them (they don't ship outside the US and Puerto Rico except to
APO/FPO addresses, though). They have liver-flavoured multi-vitamins (
http://tinyurl.com/4ckq8 ) and it would be easier to give your cat those
than to determine how much of a human vitamin to give him. It has B12, E,
folic acid and Zinc--four of the things I've read are good for cats who are
FIV+ (but no vitamin C). Plus it's liver flavoured, and what cat wouldn't
love that!?!?! (Well, maybe mine wouldn't, but she'd like cheese-flavoured
ones) They're $8.99/100 only so it won't cut into your beer allowance too
much, I think :-). They also have http://tinyurl.com/482bd which has
vitamin C, but I couldn't find any other information about it the other
vitamins, etc. It's only $7.99 for 60 tablets and it gets cheaper if you
order more. And, if you order from drsfostersmith, you can order your cats
a Da Bird ( http://tinyurl.com/562dc ) or two while you're at it! They'd
love it, I'm sure! And I've not found a similar toy here in Japan (one that
whirls around like Da Bird does).

Japanese vets...sigh! Human doctors here are just as bad if not worse,
though, but I finally found one that is good! If he could only speak
English, he'd be perfect but at least I get to practise my Japanese with
him. Now don't get me started on dentists, though!

rona