Newspaper Cats

Old March 15th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

Default Newspaper Cats

In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

--
MatSav

Old March 15th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

MatSav wrote:
In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

I didn't read it, as that picture just made me wince.

They showed a documentary about cats on TV the other day here. I think
it was American, at least it was *about* an American scientist who was
tracing the origins of domestic cats. It was all very well, and an
interesting programme, though nothing really new.

But at the end they showed this breeder. I felt like vomiting. She
proudly showed her sphynxes and munchkins, and then she *bred these two*
with each other!!! You know, for people who are allergic and don't like
cats jumping on the furniture! I say, in that case, *don't get a cat*.
And definitely don't try to genetically engineer a cat that meets your
specifications. You might be able to imagine the result of this breeding
programme. I felt so sorry for that poor little freak. It was hairless
and had short stubby legs so that it could barely walk, it just hobbled
around. I will never get that image out of my head. Makes me want to cry
when I think of it. And this woman was so proud of what she'd accomplished.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old March 15th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:30:58 +0000, MatSav wrote:

In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

Long URLs are often a problem in usenet messages - tinyurl.com can solve
that problem by providing links like this one to that page:
http://tinyurl.com/d3vv5n

I am in a position to keep and enjpy a large clowder, but I have certain
standards for cats I will accept, mainly two: no declawed cats and no
deformed breeds, including extra long haired breeds. As far as I know, all
my cats are random bred (a long haired apricot colored female and a short
haired red tabby colorpoint from the same litter are certainly from a very
varied gene pool). My long hairs all have moderately long hair and normal
faces. The only one that even might be pure bred is one with most of the
characteristics of the Main Coon breed, but if he is, he's a runt.

I am a firm believer in letting cats choose their own mates, or at least
ensuring that arranged matings are between unrelated cats with
sound (or at least varied) genetics.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old March 15th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 15, 6:48*am, Marina wrote:
You know, for people who are allergic and don't like
cats jumping on the furniture! I say, in that case, *don't get a cat*.

Definitely true- incidentally most people who are allergic to cats are
allergic to the saliva deposited on the cats fur (I'm sure you know
this) so the sphynx whilst sometimes advertised as "non-allergic" is
only less likely to be so

I felt so sorry for that poor little freak. It was hairless
and had short stubby legs so that it could barely walk, it just hobbled

Munchkin's are the result of a spontaneous mutation being reinforced
by selective breeding. Personally if I had kittens (or my cat did
through neither are likely) and one was born with short legs as long
as the kitten was healthy I wouldn't have it put to sleep but I sure
as Hell wouldn't breed from it.

around. I will never get that image out of my head. Makes me want to cry
when I think of it. And this woman was so proud of what she'd accomplished.

Sick- I don't even want to see what the kitten looked like- that woman
is just disgusting

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 15th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:30:58 +0000, MatSav wrote:

In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

Long URLs are often a problem in usenet messages - tinyurl.com
can solve
that problem by providing links like this one to that page:
http://tinyurl.com/d3vv5n

Thanks, but I rarely click on any Tiny URL, because I'm not sure
where it will lead. It could be a site with malware. My solution,
as many people will be able to see, is to enclose a long URL
inside angled brackets,.

--
MatSav

Old March 15th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com
wrote in message ...
In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

--
MatSav

Its a shame that so many people can't resist going to extremes. That
is why, even though we have always has Siamese cats, we avoid the
'show' type of Siamese and look for the apple heads. What we love is
the Siamese temperament and voice, not the skinny insecure tyrants
they breed for show.

There is an interesting condition in Kayla's registration papers.
Border Collies are bred to work, and until recently weren't even
accepted by the AKC. Now the BC group that she is registered with
will pull her papers if she participates in an AKC show. They don't
want the breed contaminated by breeding for appearance.

Jo

Old March 15th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

--
MatSav

Lets go back to happy socks.

Pam S. sickened by the article

Old March 16th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:32:32 +0000, MatSav wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:30:58 +0000, MatSav wrote:

In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

Long URLs are often a problem in usenet messages - tinyurl.com can solve
that problem by providing links like this one to that page:
http://tinyurl.com/d3vv5n

Thanks, but I rarely click on any Tiny URL, because I'm not sure where it
will lead. It could be a site with malware. My solution, as many people
will be able to see, is to enclose a long URL inside angled brackets,.

I take it you are unaware that tinyurl has a preview featu you can
enable it at http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

Old March 16th 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:32:32 +0000, MatSav wrote:

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:30:58 +0000, MatSav wrote:

In a UK newspaper, the following story appears today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/pe...formities.html

Long URLs are often a problem in usenet messages -
tinyurl.com can solve
that problem by providing links like this one to that page:
http://tinyurl.com/d3vv5n

Thanks, but I rarely click on any Tiny URL, because I'm not
sure where it
will lead. It could be a site with malware. My solution, as
many people
will be able to see, is to enclose a long URL inside angled
brackets,.

I take it you are unaware that tinyurl has a preview featu
you can
enable it at http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

I wasn't aware - but, in much the same way as I don't use the
preview pane in M$ Outlook, surely previewing a web site will
involve downloading content - an hence possible execution of
malware? Or does TinyURL work differently?

--
MatSav

Old March 16th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:44:28 +0000, MatSav wrote:

news

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:30:58 +0000, MatSav wrote:

[...]

It shows you what the tiny URL actually points to, that is, the original
long URL. The only thing loaded is a page from tinyurl.com.

--
T.E.D. )