The neighborhood strays

Old January 27th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The neighborhood strays

I've mentioned before that we've got two strays that some to our place for
food. One of them (Shorty) is very shy and has never come closer than 20
feet. The other, Cali, started out that way but has since grown
comfortable with us. She's a beautiful calico longhair.

Cali would originally run and hide when either of us went out front. Once
she realized that we fill food dishes and don't chase kitties, she started
getting closer and closer. A month or so ago I saw that she was crouching
under my car, not more than 2 or 3 feet away, while I filled the outside
kitty dishes. After a couple more weeks she actually came out as I was
filling the dishes, and allowed me to pet her.

Now she waits at the front door every morning, and insists on a nice long
petting session before she will let me get to the food dish. She will wind
vigorously around my feet - she would trip me if I didn't stop to pet!

I'm going to make inquiries around the neighborhood to see if she's
someone's cat (or to be more correct, if she owns any humans on the
street). I'll put a collar on her with my phone number as well, see if
that lands me a phone call. If I can't find a human family that claims her
I guess it will be time for a trip to TED for the snip. Then I'll have to
see about finding her a Forever Home. I'd love to take her in myself, but
I think the 6 we have now is enough

Old January 27th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:09:52 -0800, Dan M wrote:

[...]

Ever heard the expression "cheaper by the dozen"? Good on you. MLB

Old January 28th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Seems unlikely she owns any human(s); she sounds awfully shy and
skittish, until she got used to you. Like she didn't know what humans
were for. But best to play it safe, as you are doing.

Since I have a Calico, I'm especially fond of them. And of course a long
haired one sounds like she's very pretty. Any change of a photo on
ABPA?

If she is indeed a stray, you'll have given a kitty a much better chance
at a long, healthy life, since, as we all know, strays and feral cats
often have a short life-span.

Big kudos to you for saving another kitty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old January 28th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
snippage

I'm going to make inquiries around the neighborhood to see if she's
someone's cat (or to be more correct, if she owns any humans on the
street). I'll put a collar on her with my phone number as well, see if
that lands me a phone call. If I can't find a human family that claims her
I guess it will be time for a trip to TED for the snip. Then I'll have to
see about finding her a Forever Home. I'd love to take her in myself, but
I think the 6 we have now is enough

I hope you find a good home for Cali. She sounds like a sweetheart. is
Shorty still as shy as he was?

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old January 29th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
I've mentioned before that we've got two strays that some to our place for
food. One of them (Shorty) is very shy and has never come closer than 20
feet. The other, Cali, started out that way but has since grown
comfortable with us. She's a beautiful calico longhair.

snip If I can't find a human family that claims her
I guess it will be time for a trip to TED for the snip. Then I'll have to
see about finding her a Forever Home. I'd love to take her in myself, but
I think the 6 we have now is enough

Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for the lovely kitties to find
their onetruehome(s). Thank you for taking such good care of them, Dan,
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 30th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
[...]

Good luck catching her and getting her fixed. It's just so
disheartening, but she probably was dumped. We had two cats dumped
here (in the neighborhood park) in the last 3 weeks - one we are still
trying to trap. The other was easy to trap and easy to place
(completely tame) - I'm just hoping we can get this one before it tuns
too cold. I think they may have been dumped by the same people because
they look an awful lot alike.

-L.

Old January 30th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I hope you find a good home for Cali. She sounds like a sweetheart. is
Shorty still as shy as he was?

Yep. I never see more than a glimpse of him as he goes slinking under the
cars or dashing across the driveway.

Old January 30th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Seems unlikely she owns any human(s); she sounds awfully shy and
skittish, until she got used to you. Like she didn't know what humans
were for. But best to play it safe, as you are doing.

Since I have a Calico, I'm especially fond of them. And of course a long
haired one sounds like she's very pretty. Any change of a photo on
ABPA?

Just posted. Entitled "Cali Cat".
Old January 30th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
Seems unlikely she owns any human(s); she sounds awfully shy and
skittish, until she got used to you. Like she didn't know what humans
were for. But best to play it safe, as you are doing.

Since I have a Calico, I'm especially fond of them. And of course a
long haired one sounds like she's very pretty. Any change of a photo
on ABPA?

Just posted. Entitled "Cali Cat".

I love the glowing eyes. ;-)
--